Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 04:29:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU Temps (R9 270)  (Read 776 times)
l008com (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:16:04 AM

I have a pair of identical, new ASUS R9 270's running on a Windows 7 system. They are running well, I haven't been able to get them up to the keyrates others have, but they're not running too terrible. But I have been completely unable to get the temps of these cards. And so my cooling is just a guess at this point. I've tried everything, GPU-Z, AMD Catalyst software, ASUS's own terrible software, MSI Afterburner, and a few others. Not one of those programs can look up the temperature of either card. I'm not a Windows guy, so I don't really have a clue where to look next. Any ideas? It nothing else, I'd like to get temps temporarily so I could just play around with my fans and get the best cooling setup.

BTC: 1B5ahrgQa2UpTFukjjacAWqFPShHyAStpZ
GRC: S942CyMgHz42EosvT9L1dKCwB1HVM2TDZk
nybbler905

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:18:32 AM

next step is infrared probe or visible thermal probe.  You may find them as ' in ear temperature ' for babies as they are sometimes cheaper, just check to see if they will go over 200 Cel. for temperature.  I've used XP with all those programs and didn't have an issue with it showing temperature so you may want to check some forums and google it to see if you may have to drop to an earlier driver in order to have the temperature show.  There are still alot of issues with ATI cards where the old drivers worked better on Win 7/8 systems than the ' official new ' drivers.

One thing to consider is  front and rear case fans so one draws air in and the other forces air out to help enforce air flow.  Stuffing a swiffer in front of the intake sounds dumb until you change it and see the crud it stopped getting in to the case.  it needs to be cleaned weekly if you do use one.

Always looking for donations even as low as 1uBTC
14XfpYPdtYiGoEiDcKrSzuvBM3ukhwANUh - BTC
LS7FEfu9ajp3NQcDjui9TSKscwQesj9i8k - LTC
LHe9g5ixMyfdtqAEHU5vErG1eQrDshBFRW -Luckycoin
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:22:42 PM

They are probably on good temps, if you cant see them hanging.
l008com (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 10:13:15 PM

Still, it would be nice to know which fan configuration was cooling them down the most.

l008com (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 10:36:31 AM

Made a little bit of progress. Hooked up a monitor to one of the two GPUs, suddenly both were showing temps in cgminer. Thats great except i don't have a monitor i can really leave connected, nor would I want to. Don't suppose theres some way to 'trick' the cards?

nybbler905

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:31:44 PM

null monitor plug... google it, basically 3 resistors between ground and the 3 VGA signals.  Found me a nice ( CHEAP ) male/female and soldered them on to the dummy plug so it wouldn't be an issue.  There are a ton of guides out there, the only thing different I did was pre-solder the resistor ends and put some flux in the female ends before using the solder gun ( card NOT attached, guns go hotter and can carry stray currents that blow video cards )

Always looking for donations even as low as 1uBTC
14XfpYPdtYiGoEiDcKrSzuvBM3ukhwANUh - BTC
LS7FEfu9ajp3NQcDjui9TSKscwQesj9i8k - LTC
LHe9g5ixMyfdtqAEHU5vErG1eQrDshBFRW -Luckycoin
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:24:05 AM

There's people selling dummy plugs in the marketplace or you can make your own with 3 resistors as noted above.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: