Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:03:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Time travelers are still speculators.  (Read 2291 times)
Obi-Wan Coinobi (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:56:39 AM

Even if you could travel back in time...you would still only be able to make 1 single trade before not knowing where the market is going again. Your one trade would set into motion a chain of events which is impossible to predict  Grin

Have fun over the next couple of days!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 01:02:47 AM

lol time travelers...

i've been where you are now not to long ago. i ended up in the hospital.... you maybe be under more stress then you realize, "time travelers are still speculators ".  you really NEED to step away from bitcoin speculation for a while, and get some sleep / lots of rest, maybe take a few days off... you're talking crazy talk.

chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:07:51 AM

nah, a man could make hundreds of millions of dollas before an impact was felt on the market.

Obi-Wan Coinobi (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:12:46 AM

I'm just trying to lighten it up in here  Wink
Bitcoin BEAR

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:16:16 AM

You guys are missing the point of the OP...
If you travel back in time, Everything MUST go exactly the same otherwise you effectively "fork" the space time continuum. Once that is done, all else changes in a sort of "butterfly effect". So you are back to not knowing what is coming next. For instance, $1242 would not have happened in the same order of events. It may have taken years longer to get there IF it happened at all.

I get ya, Obi-Wan  Wink

Edit:
Oh shit I spelled your name wrong
Obi-Wan Coinobi (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:18:52 AM

You guys are missing the point of the OP...
If you travel back in time, Everything MUST go exactly the same otherwise you effectively "fork" the space time continuum. Once that is done, all else changes in a sort of "butterfly effect". So you are back to not knowing what is coming next. For instance, $1242 would not have happened in the same order of events. It may have taken years longer to get there IF it happened at all.

I get ya, Obi-won  Wink

Bitcoin BEAR knows where it's at!
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:37:40 AM

There is no butterfly effect.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_motion
traderCJ

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:41:58 AM

Even if you could travel back in time...you would still only be able to make 1 single trade before not knowing where the market is going again. Your one trade would set into motion a chain of events which is impossible to predict  Grin

LOVE the name!
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:42:49 AM

Are you suggesting that this market is accurately modeled by Brownian motion?
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:01:43 AM

Are you suggesting that this market is accurately modeled by Brownian motion?

I would almost agree! This image looks exactly like the Bitcoin market. No sense of direction... and a bunch of mindless idiots roaming in circles, bumping heads.  Tongue

Though, there is still a butterfly effect. Every action one takes, directly effects the next action taken by another participant. No two objects (coins) can occupy the same space, so if I buy the wall at 630, you can't buy those coins. You are stuck taking the coins at 630.01 or waiting for someone to offer coins at 630 which may or may not happen.

HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:24:54 AM

Yes I am suggesting that the Bitcoin market is random (within certain parameters).

Perhaps more accurately described as a random walk subject to biases (such as the Gox antics).  The trick is separating the Brownian motion (market noise) from the real market moving biases.  I consider the dip on Mt Gox this morning to 248 to be market noise / Brownian motion.  The fact that the swings are big in % terms is irrelevant - you get that with any volatile market.

And beware of fat tailed probability.
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 04:11:20 AM

I've always thought that bitcoin charts were so crazy because maybe bitcoiners learned how to time travel.
jhansen858

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:49:16 AM

I would only need 1 trade.

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
thelema93

Activity: 339

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:06:57 AM

lol time travelers...

i've been where you are now not to long ago. i ended up in the hospital.... you maybe be under more stress then you realize, "time travelers are still speculators ".  you really NEED to step away from bitcoin speculation for a while, and get some sleep / lots of rest, maybe take a few days off... you're talking crazy talk.

hmmmmm... who's talking crazy talk?!!

WompRat

Activity: 232

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 09:35:22 AM

I find the shoulda, woulda, coulda runs extremely high with bitcoin.  If you are obsessing about what you could have done differently even though you probably made perfectly rational judgements at the time, I would advise you to consider the negative effects this may be having on your health before it gets worse. You don't have to immediately start necking anti depressants, but if you want to change, and not everyone does, I would recommend some simple cognitive behavioral techniques to help change your perspective. 
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 10:43:05 AM

I disagree...

There is the endless paradox of... "If you traveled back into time, then you had been there previously, the first time, and anything you did would have had the same result. Because the reason it did what it did, was only because you had traveled back in time, and done that."

He who travels back in time, only loses valuable time from their life moving forward. You can't undo going back, and going back has already set you back in time. Even if you eventually go back to the previous present, you have lost that time you were gone. Going into the future... If that were as possible as going into the past, would not gain you any more time, only allow you to see what you would not have seen, had you just lived up to that point. Going further than your entire life expectancy will yield no more time on your hands, nor provide any more advantage. The future 100 years from now is as uncertain as the future 1 second from now. Once it is realized, it is no longer the future, only the present to you. To others who can not travel, the future is irrelevant, since they live in the present, where-ever in time that is.

You don't even realize that you have never actually seen the present. You can only see the past. It took time for light to travel from the present, into your eye, get translated into a memory, then be examined as a thought by your mind. That, is micro-seconds in the past, what you believe is the present. No-one has ever "seen" the present. No matter how close you get to the light/reflections.

For all we know, light travels 1000x slower than we think, and we are all moving at a snails-pace, in reality. What we measure time with, is our heart-beats... 60BPM, 60Hz, 60-cycles... why have hear-beats become irregular after 100 years of "good heart rates"... We stopped wearing watches that tick every second, which helped our body stay synced with a "regular" pulse. Yes, our nerves sensed the ticking of pocket-watches, wall clocks, grandfather-clocks, and metronomes. Now we are digital, and lacking that timing. Out hearts have returned to the primitive irregular heart-beats of our ancestors before watches were invented... Time is killing us... or rather, lack of mechanical time is killing us.

Heart-conditions are a large killer of most men... Buy a real watch, and wear it... Stay healthier longer!

Sorry, I have ADD, what was the question again? Rewind...
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 10:56:34 AM

https://www.slow-watches.com
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:41:08 PM

lol, nice...

Time doesn't fly... Now it barely even crawls!

For those who want it even slower, we have the week-watch and month-watch... Coming soon, the year-watch!

Damn that grass grows fast!

Stupid joke...

Time flies like an arrow...
Fruit flies like a banana...

(Fruit-flies, Like a banana)
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:09:23 PM

To be honest every time somebody says "time travellers" I think about atomic transactions, order precedence ranking, price priority, pre match, arrays list, binary search, queues, stacks, multithreading, etc ....and of course outside the clock of an autonomous system... I think about NTP servers too ... time is so trick sometimes  Tongue

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:16:11 PM

So anyone traveled ? Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: