Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:15:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why won't ETH network accept equivalence of the token in question for gas?  (Read 104 times)
jayyen (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 24, 2018, 09:35:37 PM

Sometimes when I need to look for gas from friends before I can move tokens I become unhappy. Why will ETH network won't accept the equivalence of  the tokens you are moving as gas but always want ETH.Because they are all erc20 tokens so why is ETH manipulating the others.The other tokens should be able to be used as gas not only ETH.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Flyne d Coin Digger

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2018, 09:40:27 PM

FYI it is not the ETH who manipulate the wallet or your token transfer from your wallet to wallet or to exchange, ETH is the option for gas when the wallet was created, some of your tokens cannot be accepted as gas because it is not listed upon the wallet gas list, perhaps in the future you use them, and not all wallet is giving token transfer for free...
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2018, 09:51:53 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2018, 10:08:23 PM by mprep

Because ERC20 is just a technical standard for smart contracts that behave as coins (a.k.a. tokens). In the end, any transfers of said tokens is simply execution of smart contract function calls (that usually update a ledger with token balances). While most implementations of ERC20 are either the same or extremely similar, I bet there's hundreds of ERC20 tokens that are outright broken. They have all the functions the ERC20 standard requires - the implementations of these functions though don't do what they're supposed to (e.g. consume all gas by throwing an exception on any function call, transfer coins to a random / different / owners address, etc.).

You are free to manually come to an agreement with a miner that will mine your zero-fee (in terms of ETH) transaction for ERC20 tokens you've sent him beforehand, however, unless you're going to severely overpay the fee with whatever token you're paying in, most miners won't give a damn. Ether in Ethereum was created as a single currency to pay miners for their work. It "fuels" (hence gas and the cost of said gas being in Ether) the entire network. Having a contract function execution fueled by function executions in arbitrary, unaudited contracts would introduce a myriad of problems to solve, alongside the already existing issues Ethereum faces.

tterrorpipa

Activity: 322
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2018, 01:15:27 AM

I think you are mistaken for your meaning. Ethereum and other tokens that is based in ethereum network blockchain needs ethereum based gas fee in order to move funds for one end to another. When many users used ethereum at that moment, especially when there was an ico held, possibly the gas fee will rise, it is not the ethereum manipulating on gas fee, its just that many users try to make the transaction more faster so they need to use more gas.

HARA │ Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
mamichula

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 01:18:30 AM

Sometimes when I need to look for gas from friends before I can move tokens I become unhappy. Why will ETH network won't accept the equivalence of  the tokens you are moving as gas but always want ETH.Because they are all erc20 tokens so why is ETH manipulating the others.The other tokens should be able to be used as gas not only ETH.

Because it's not coded that way. Ethereum would probably need to be reprogrammed from the ground up to have that option, making it a completely different code base. Possibly different blockchain. A new one.
Hanebel

Activity: 363
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 01:32:43 AM

This is an example of the things in this world you can't argue with. It is made this way and I don't find a problem about it since then. NEM-based tokens also work this way. Maybe you need another wallet (not ETH-based) that stores only your specific token. That way, the gas will be subtracted to your token. But I don't think there are a lot of tokens like that today, mostly are ETH-based.
Endikadija

Activity: 1458
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 01:55:29 AM

Because you are using ethereum asset and it can't be used as equivalent to the ethereum to pay the gas fees. Since you are using ethereum blockchain and anything will be ruled by ethereum.
ETH doesn't manipulate others, it doesn't make sense if there was a crap asset can be equivalent to ethereum.
Mr.Pro

Activity: 644
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 02:00:29 AM

Because its an ethereum platform using eth as a gas would give ethereum a use case and value. Also miners would most likely want to be paid with ethereum not shitty token
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: