Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:31:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Tahiti GPUs (Radeon 7950 / 7970 / 280X / 7990 ) Owners Appreciation Thread  (Read 16155 times)
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
March 16, 2019, 08:33:08 PM

Giving this thread a bump.

Wondering if there is anything out there worth mining with the Tahitis. Basically ever since the XMR fork last week it made the last working algo obsolete since the new non Claymore miners don't support CNR.

The algo was good because even though the speed was slow the power consumption was low. Wondering if anyone had any luck getting CNR working with the Tahitis.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VasilyS

Activity: 618
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2019, 12:03:00 AM

This card gives 8-9 sol/s while mining Beam with lolminer. It is profitable even now.

❱  CRYPTOPROFI  ❱
badbart

Activity: 449
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 17, 2019, 12:42:00 AM

I got a couple of these beast 7990s, they run hot as hell.  Isn't the power usage too high?
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2019, 05:07:02 AM

This card gives 8-9 sol/s while mining Beam with lolminer. It is profitable even now.

I looked into this and doesn't seem very profitable. Basically using Nicehash prices of 0.006 kSol/BTC, you make about 19 cents a day. But what is the power consumption? I am guessing its at least 125 Watts so with 0.10c power it yields a loss.

Unless I am calculating this incorrectly or the Nicehash rate for Beam is way too low?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
VasilyS

Activity: 618
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2019, 02:21:51 PM

I looked into this and doesn't seem very profitable. Basically using Nicehash prices of 0.006 kSol/BTC, you make about 19 cents a day. But what is the power consumption? I am guessing its at least 125 Watts so with 0.10c power it yields a loss.

Unless I am calculating this incorrectly or the Nicehash rate for Beam is way too low?
My price is 0.05$ so it's OK at the moment. Also I'm using card with modded BIOS. Core voltage is 1,075-1.12 V (Core/Memory is 1060/1450 Mhz). GPU-Z shows VDDC power 75-83 watts. Overall consumption is up to 120-130 watt. Also I'm using R9 290 and R9290X, they give abt 12 sol/s.

❱  CRYPTOPROFI  ❱
Spoonbox

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2019, 07:17:16 PM

Anyone mining recently with 280x? On cryptonight I´m only getting 400 h/s on xmrig/srb and xmr stak just crashes the computer. And on beam I´ve been getting just 2-3 sols. Any sort of overclocking only seems to lower hashrate and eventually crash. Maybe older miners work better? I Remember getting like 550 h/s on cryptonight years ago. Maybe some older driver is better to use, maybe something can be done with this new mem tweak stuff? Any tips appreciated apart from Bios mod or telling me it is not efficient GPU to use Smiley
Beyerd17

Activity: 826
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 04, 2019, 08:30:59 PM

Anyone mining recently with 280x? On cryptonight I´m only getting 400 h/s on xmrig/srb and xmr stak just crashes the computer. And on beam I´ve been getting just 2-3 sols. Any sort of overclocking only seems to lower hashrate and eventually crash. Maybe older miners work better? I Remember getting like 550 h/s on cryptonight years ago. Maybe some older driver is better to use, maybe something can be done with this new mem tweak stuff? Any tips appreciated apart from Bios mod or telling me it is not efficient GPU to use Smiley

Sell those ancient Tahiti gpu's and buy some used Hawaii gpu's instead. Or if you have the cash, go buy some used rx580's and mine cryptonight variants with those great cards. Will use much less electricity too.
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2019, 10:26:23 PM

Sell those ancient Tahiti gpu's and buy some used Hawaii gpu's instead. Or if you have the cash, go buy some used rx580's and mine cryptonight variants with those great cards. Will use much less electricity too.

I am very surprised to see this thread being resurrected. Basically i've sold all my 280X that didn't have any fan issues. Most of the people that bought them bought it for Crossfire gaming, video rendering, or some hobby mining. I think I got an average of $50 per GPU. Hence its worth the time to package them up and sell them on Craigslist.

I wouldn't even buy any Hawaii's GPUs because in my opinion they are overpriced and they are almost useless for mining since they got that DAG thrashing bug and hash ETH at like 15MH/s and they also use tons of power, usually at least 200 Watts worth.

There are tons of second hand RX 570 4GB that you should buy instead because mining is still not as profitable as it once was and everybody wants to get rid of them.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
JLC_km

Activity: 23

View Profile
August 30, 2019, 07:31:02 AM

New test in mining 2019 a video card AMD Radeon R9 280X

https://cryptoage.com/en/1768-what-can-mining-legends-amd-radeon-hd-7970-and-r9-280x-in-2019.html
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2019, 10:06:54 PM

Thanks for posting this link. Its actually a pretty good article how it talks about all the different coins that were possible to mine with a 280X starting with Bitcoin itself all the way to Zcash.

One issue with the article is most likely the power consumption figures, they seem a bit low. I don't know how the test rig was measured in calculating power consumption but it should almost be double of what is shown.

When I mined ETH in 2016, my hashrate was 20MH/s and my power consumption at the wall was like 200Watts with each GPU undervolted. I am assuming he used GPU-z which is not accurate to measure power consumption.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
JLC_km

Activity: 23

View Profile
September 09, 2019, 02:17:32 AM

Thanks for posting this link. Its actually a pretty good article how it talks about all the different coins that were possible to mine with a 280X starting with Bitcoin itself all the way to Zcash.

One issue with the article is most likely the power consumption figures, they seem a bit low. I don't know how the test rig was measured in calculating power consumption but it should almost be double of what is shown.

When I mined ETH in 2016, my hashrate was 20MH/s and my power consumption at the wall was like 200Watts with each GPU undervolted. I am assuming he used GPU-z which is not accurate to measure power consumption.

Power consumption is taken of the whole test stand minus power consumption in idle mode. there may be a mistake due to the low efficiency of my bronze 1200W power supply while operating at minimum power.
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2019, 04:34:18 PM

Hi All ...

So can I safely assume that ALL these OS are Windows based?

When you all post hashrates, miners and parameters (under/over volt, etc) you never actually specify what the OS actually is, what the build of machine and PSU, what model cards and what applications are being used. I assume all this is Windows based, but that assumption only comes from some of the applications you refer to in your posts.

Does anyone have a Linux system running? If so, what system in reference to hardware, software and drivers? Is it running well or unstable? Links to anything that needs to be downloaded or is there some tutorial, on a step by step basis, as to how to build and install these cards, OS, Drivers, and miners/apps. specifically due to the fact that I am more a RHEL based OS Tech, not a Debian/Ubuntu based OS Tech. I know little about Debian/Ubuntu's workings and installation protocols.

I ask this not from a newbie standpoint, but a knowledge standpoint. I have come across this thread, and VERY interested now, as I dusted off a number of our old 'theFARM' cards from the previous CWI Mining Farm back in 2013. To be honest, I have had one HELL of a time with getting it all running under different Linux Distros (CentOS 7, Fedora 30, Ubuntu 16.xx, and a few others) all because of the ridiculous stance that AMD have on their driver releases NOT supporting these cards in the latest release.

I am personally against using ANY Windows OS, but it seems this is one of the very few, more 'solid' ways, of getting it all working with the drivers AMD release AND mining. Power, setup and components are not an issue for us as we host a number of Miners in our CWI theFARM, so this is more for an exercise in functionality and mining more than it is for 'profit' or 'money'.

So ANY help with this will be greatly appreciated, especially by those that have actually got these cards running in Linux. Though at this stage of the game with us, pulling any more hair out building these systems will not only send me bald, but crazy too, as I am even willing to infect our miners with Windows IF we have to Tongue

OK - enough bashing Windows Tongue

If there is such a step by step tutorial out there, or if someone can at least point me in a good direction, I will make sure this is added as part of our 'nostalgia' module of theFARM, and show the results of these here, and eventually on our website (when that is ever finished of course!).

One thing that was posted earlier I read was interesting. An Algo specifically for these cards and cards of the like/era. We at CWI have a number of algos that we could test on these cards, the first of which will be implemented shortly on the redevelopment of one of our coins. If there is any success in building these cards to mine, we will locate an SGMiner/or-other-miner dev to build a miner for that Algo and set it up for testing here if you are all interested. Obviously the newer cards would do much better, but it would be a nice exercise in resurrection of these cards.

If anyone can help, has links, steps/guide, or knows anyone that does, please let me know. We do not have any AMD specific devs, as we switched to nVidia a LONG time ago and have stayed with them. I would like to see these cards active again, and mining once more if possible, preferably under Linux, but not necessary at this juncture.

Thanks,

#crysx

adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2019, 09:27:42 PM

Sometimes you got no choice but to use Windows. There are many times in the past when Linux drivers were buggy while Windows driver's werent. There are also other issues such as the miner software. When a coin is new sometimes there are miners only available for Windows and comes out weeks later for Linux.

I remember the ZEC launch days when Claymore released a fast miner but at the beginning it was only available for Windows. So what are you going to do? Mine nothing or just use Windows temporarily?

I actually prefer Linux also, much more stable, requires less intensive hardware and easier to manage but with mining in 2017+ I started to switch everything to Windows because the drivers were difficult in linux and so were the miners.

I miss the good old days of mining Litecoin in 2013 with my Radeon 7970 using PimP.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2019, 05:19:01 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2019, 05:29:11 AM by chrysophylax

Sometimes you got no choice but to use Windows. There are many times in the past when Linux drivers were buggy while Windows driver's werent. There are also other issues such as the miner software. When a coin is new sometimes there are miners only available for Windows and comes out weeks later for Linux.

I remember the ZEC launch days when Claymore released a fast miner but at the beginning it was only available for Windows. So what are you going to do? Mine nothing or just use Windows temporarily?

I actually prefer Linux also, much more stable, requires less intensive hardware and easier to manage but with mining in 2017+ I started to switch everything to Windows because the drivers were difficult in linux and so were the miners.

I miss the good old days of mining Litecoin in 2013 with my Radeon 7970 using PimP.

Same ...

I miss those days also, though we had Wolf0 on our side, helping us with the private BIN, that he would produce for SGMiner at the time. We never used any other mining OS at the time, but our own installs (which if I remember correctly were Fedora Core 15 at the time). Fun days.

Well, Windows it will be if that is all we are left with. I am after someone that can help here, as almost everything I have tried now (including a 12hour stint with HiveOS) still does not allow the cards to Mine. Almost certainly due to drivers. HiveOS is quite interesting in that it seems to be quite a mature, although complex and at times confusing, system. All the cards show, and with a few tweaks, all the cards are recognized, but the mining side is still dead.

I will be installing Windows on an SSD when time allows in the next day. We have a two Windows 10 Pro licenses so will have to use those.

Again, any help from any one will be appreciated.

#crysx

halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
September 11, 2019, 01:31:49 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2019, 01:48:30 PM by halker2010

God i never forget my Upgrade after using 6950 for so long and when zcash hit my 7950s were giving 4-5 usd per hour now tho sadly they all died but their fans and heatsinks are still cooling vrms and various other components i miss the good old days Undecided.
It kind of hurt me to saw their heat sinks into little pieces.
I saved one heatsink just for the good memories when this Beast payed for my gtx 1080 and my house.

and i still remember when people were giving nvidia shit "the way its meant to be played"but not mined.
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2019, 04:58:22 AM

God i never forget my Upgrade after using 6950 for so long and when zcash hit my 7950s were giving 4-5 usd per hour now tho sadly they all died but their fans and heatsinks are still cooling vrms and various other components i miss the good old days Undecided.
It kind of hurt me to saw their heat sinks into little pieces.
I saved one heatsink just for the good memories when this Beast payed for my gtx 1080 and my house.

and i still remember when people were giving nvidia shit "the way its meant to be played"but not mined.

I've never liked Sapphire either. I didn't have the Sapphire 7950 that you pictured above but I've had a Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X and it was a very poorly designed GPU, especially for mining.

Basically they had faulty MOSFETS which would overheat and fry while mining. I think most gamers never had issues but miners experienced huge problems with these GPUs. I remember frequenting the Litecoin forum and people complaining about their GPU bursting into flames or finding their mining rig offline and smelling burnt PCB.

So I threw the PCB away and just used the Heatsink+fan from the dual-x but it was crap also. At first the fan died, then the other fan died, and so I slapped on a case fan and it finally worked without issue. The one area they didn't cheap out on was that some of the heatsink was copper instead of aluminum so with the right fan it would cool very well.

Probably going to frame that heatsink from all the headache it gave me throughout the years.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
afrar

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 09:27:55 AM

I Still have 50+ HD 7970 Brand new cards , I was holding this from 2012 ,
Dont know what to do with this ,

Actually i dont have any idea about bitcoin mining in beginning , Also i am bit lazy person

So never search of it ... Now i have lot of asic
But with This GPU what i can do ?
Any one have idea
fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 10:04:24 AM

tahiti is my first gpu on mining they simple just flash bios mod and viola no other overclock software, and pretty stable, easy to config

they strong, but bigger card compared newer amd gpus, polaris gpus are bad many my gpus already died except 8gbs, now vegas is my strongest gpu i ever had

component burn & smoked because short circuit in fan, but gpu still alive only replace the fan lol almost 4 years still mining no problem

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
Kvalentine

Activity: 504
Merit: 25

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 10:45:11 AM

I Still have 50+ HD 7970 Brand new cards , I was holding this from 2012 ,
Dont know what to do with this ,

Actually i dont have any idea about bitcoin mining in beginning , Also i am bit lazy person

So never search of it ... Now i have lot of asic
But with This GPU what i can do ?
Any one have idea
I know they are all old GPUs but you can sell them for good amount of money on ebay, selling off within the range of 60$ to 70$ will attract buyers to you, some parts of the world like india for example still use old graphic cards for PC gaming

afrar

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2021, 12:15:05 PM

I can sale as bulk , Even i can deliver to india ,

Any interested .,

If wanna look photos i can update
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: