Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:59:36 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Increasing amount of fake announcements with viruses  (Read 164 times)
Skyyat (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 12:02:21 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2018, 12:13:28 AM by Skyyat

Hello Altcoinhunters,

In the last few weeks I've seen an incredible increase of new "announcements" that are fake and contain viruses.
The problem with those announcements is, that they look really real, because they copy recently released legit projects.

How do they work?

Well, basically they just copy an recently released project (mostly 24hours old projects or younger) and change the wallet download links.
What happens is that the project looks legit (good website, discord and telegram channel, twitter, facebook etc.) and new users are easily fooled into thinking that its the real project.
Also the person releasing the announcement looks legit(high activity and a lot of merit etc.), because they use hacked accounts.
Once you download their wallets and install them, your computer will be infected and they have access to anything that is on your computer. Passwords, wallets etc.
I'm pretty sure they also track your inputs, so its easy for them to get all your passwords. After that, they can access any exchange you are registerd on, copy most of your wallets and steal all your altcoins or bitcoins.

How can you spot them?

The first thing you might note, is that the announcement is self-moderated. That doesnt mean it has to be an fake announcement, but you should ask yourself why a good new project would self-moderate their announcement.
The second thing you should look for, is if the wallets are released on github. If the download links redirect to other sites, like mega.nz etc. you can be 99% sure that it contains a virus.
The third thing you can look for, is if there was a project released with the same name in the last few days or earlier.

What you can do to help new users from falling for those scams.

Firstly you should report the post immediately to a moderator through the report function. They are the only ones that are able to remove those links and delete those posts and the faster you report them, the faster they can react. After that you can leave a comment on the topic, let the people know what you've found out. Maybe you save somebody a lot of money by doing that. Most of the times your comments will get deleted by the scammer, because the post is self-moderated, but it takes some time for them to do so and in the meanwhile another user might see your comment.

I think, we as a community, should work together on keeping this place a safe place and help the new people to not get easily tricked by scammers.

If you have more suggestions or warnings for new users, I'd love to hear them.

Stay safe! Smiley
dsdsdndn
Copper Member

Activity: 73

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2018, 12:07:44 AM

This is weird. We must download wallet from it's official github of on their official website
Skyyat (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 12:13:15 AM

This is weird. We must download wallet from it's official github of on their official website

That is right, but some new users sadly dont know that and fall for those tricks :/
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 05:18:01 PM

I think giving an example would be good. Could you please state some of the new announcements that are fake and contain viruses that you've seen? I'm kind of curious too about the poster with high activity and a lot of merit.

PS. Having these would help as well:
* a browser extension like EtherAddressLookup and Metamask (even without an account) for blocking malicious/phishing sites
* an antivirus software which blocks malicious sites and softwares even before/during download
Skyyat (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 12:24:25 AM

I think giving an example would be good. Could you please state some of the new announcements that are fake and contain viruses that you've seen? I'm kind of curious too about the poster with high activity and a lot of merit.

PS. Having these would help as well:
* a browser extension like EtherAddressLookup and Metamask (even without an account) for blocking malicious/phishing sites
* an antivirus software which blocks malicious sites and softwares even before/during download
I agree with those ideas, although many antivirus softwares tag any "new" software as a virus, so sometimes its hard to know which ones contain virues and the ones that dont Sad

Do you think it would help if we post all scammy anounncements in a thread like this? So new people can doublecheck if there is something fishy going on.

Sure, most of the recent ones have been deleted because I reported them, but here is an older one:
The thread and the links are still exisiting at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4562541.0

https://i.imgur.com/JY3ACHN.png

Skyyat (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 01:42:11 PM

Another scam with infected wallets just released:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4751170.0

Be careful!

(Not the official announcement of the coin, its just a copy with infected wallets)
beautifulgirl89

Activity: 82

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 11:38:06 AM

I am also very concerned about this issue.
That is very dangerous !!!
There should be an organization standing up to have the legal and regulatory provisions for this issue.
Skyyat (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 07:35:33 PM

Another topic that was just released:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4765049.0

Contains a virus, be careful!
anti76

Activity: 730
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 08:06:15 PM

Just do not need to go anywhere from your desktop computer.Only this forum and sites which are I have in bookmarks.All!That's the whole recipe for viruses.Less surfing - more security
Skyyat (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 08:35:48 PM

Just do not need to go anywhere from your desktop computer.Only this forum and sites which are I have in bookmarks.All!That's the whole recipe for viruses.Less surfing - more security

Yes, thats good aswell, but at one point you had to go to those sites for the first time Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: