Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:22:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: power supply for 4 miners  (Read 722 times)
1stbet (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 10:42:02 AM

I will have to plug 4 miners (1000 watt each) in a single power outlet. How many joules of surge protector would I need? Any recommendations for this electronic setup? I want to avoid tripping.

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
klminer

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:52:21 PM

I will have to plug 4 miners (1000 watt each) in a single power outlet. How many joules of surge protector would I need? Any recommendations for this electronic setup? I want to avoid tripping.

Thanks.

Surge energy rating in joules means unwanted energy pulse which can protector safely absorb. This is unrelated to the power consumption of the appliance.

Morre important is if circuit and circuit breaker can handle 4 kW (or more if there is more appliances on same circuit).
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:14:50 PM

Yes, the device is called math.

Please, call for some professional help before you potentially burn your house to the ground.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Ritual

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:24:22 PM

4KW off a single ring? make sure you have a couple of fire extinguishers nearby....

Rit.

Newbie oriented mining site - http://cryptoexperiment.wordpress.com/ --- Free BTC - http://freebitco.in/?r=231531
nikona

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:49:22 PM

Isn't Cloud mining are better than own self construct mining rig ?
Sheldor333

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 10:11:04 PM

Don't do it just raw.  Grin Call someone, it won't cost you much and it will help you not burn down anything or at least go to a local hardware store and explain your situation if there is someone knowledgeable there they should be able to help you and advise you what to buy to protect yourself the best.

pontiacg5

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 11:06:53 PM

Isn't Cloud mining are better than own self construct mining rig ?

No, for many reasons that some would consider my own personal opinion. And that is why questions like yours are so hard to answer.

There is no standard home circuit, short of a old window AC unit plug, capable of running more than one 1kW miner at a time safely in the US. Two would stand a chance of not tripping a 20A circuit, barely, but if you burned your house down you'd be out of code, which means I sure wouldn't want to be you.

Hardware stores have not had intelligent help for longer than I've been alive. If you were to go anywhere expecting free help, make it a electric supply company. This link should show you places that are close.

https://www.google.com/#q=electrical+supply+house&safe=off

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:41:55 AM

4KWh, there are very few times where the power draw for this through one outlet will make sense.

It doesn't sound like you have much electrical experience; I wouldn't risk plugging 4 miners into one outlet if I were you.
Craptsy

Activity: 8

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 03:31:14 AM

I'd be careful with that much draw - Anything else on your circuit may cause it to trip!
Duane Vick

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:51:10 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2014, 06:02:56 AM by Duane Vick

Are you on 110 volt power or 220 volt power?

In typical US home, each of those need to be on separate branch circuit, not just separate outlets. If same breaker cuts power to two miners, you need to separate them off same circuit.

If you can run your own romex wire, buy 12-3 with ground and run it to a single electric outlet.  Break the metal tang off the hot side connection on back.  Connect other end to single two-pole breaker in your panel. You must put the two breakers on separate phases. This will give you electric outlet with two separate circuits with 20 amp rating. You can run a second romex for another two circuits.

1FMDNUutcKVTEAph3c8xCvZie7HaCC3xDt If you feel that I've contributed anything worthwhile, please donate.
paulvernz

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:25:49 AM

I'd be careful with that much draw - Anything else on your circuit may cause it to trip!

Wow damn, really??
pontiacg5

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:15:09 PM

Are you on 110 volt power or 220 volt power?

In typical US home, each of those need to be on separate branch circuit, not just separate outlets. If same breaker cuts power to two miners, you need to separate them off same circuit.

If you can run your own romex wire, buy 12-3 with ground and run it to a single electric outlet.  Break the metal tang off the hot side connection on back.  Connect other end to single two-pole breaker in your panel. You must put the two breakers on separate phases. This will give you electric outlet with two separate circuits with 20 amp rating. You can run a second romex for another two circuits.

That is a multiwire branch circuit, and is by far the most efficient way to wire dedicated outlets for miners. You would still need four outlets though, on two circuits, as a 5-20r at 80% loading is only capable of ~1900W. A 1kW power supply will likely have a total consumption 10-20% higher than the rated output, so two = >2200W.

If you are going to DIY, you should google up "multiwire branch circuit" to be sure you've done it right. Things can go bad quick if you wire it up wrong.

1stbet (OP)

Activity: 45

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 10:41:25 PM

Thanks guys. An electrician will be visiting my home tomorrow before I plug in my miners. Of course, I would not want to burn the house. thanks again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: