Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:54:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SolidCoin 2 Release - Monday 10th October 23:35 UTC  (Read 21318 times)
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:41:31 AM

Retarded, this is worse than solidcoin.  It looks like the binaries aren't even up any more.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 03:52:35 AM

And tenebrix rallies on the news!  Thanks for letting me take my final dump on you guys, appreciate it.
Ten98

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 04:10:45 AM

I'm pleased to announce that Solidcoin 2 is up and running and working well, no sign of any impact from the supposed attacks that have been often promised but never delivered.  

There was an issue with stales and orphan blocks right at the start caused by too much hashing power on the network, but the difficulty is rising steadily now and we should be seeing the last of that issue in the next couple of hours. I've yet to see any evidence of a fork or any orphan chains. SolidCoin seems to be as Solid as the name would suggest.

I'm happy to report that all of my SollidCoins from the old 1.04 chain before it was taken down by RS/CH are present in my wallet, and everyone I've spoken to so far is reporting the same success on that front, so what we have is a brand new coin with a brand new algorithm, client, mining software and various other cool features all in one, yet carrying on exactly where 1.04 left off. Quite an astonishing acheivement to pull off in only a few weeks and I'd like to thank RealSolid for the fantastic and painstaking work he's put into the client. It really does make the Bitcoin client look rather amateur in comparison.

We have an exchange live already and ticking along nicely in #Bitcoin-Markets, with several more due to follow in the next days and weeks, and the exchanges are only the beginning.

And finally to all the trolls, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your continued interest in SolidCoin. Without you guys trolling us every single day we would not have got nearly as much publicity as we did, and there would not have been nearly as many people ready to start mining, collecting & trading SolidCoins at the re-launch. In fact, without the threat of attack there would have been no justification for taking down the chain at all, which gave RealSolid the opportunity to create something far superior in it's place, so it's fair to say you guys made SolidCoin 2.0 possible. Thanks again guys! Cheesy
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 04:19:22 AM

It really does make the Bitcoin client look rather amateur in comparison.
Because GUI improvements were amongst the biggest of worries when the blockchain was locked down for weeks on end.

bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 04:19:45 AM

I'm pleased to announce that Solidcoin 2 is up and running and working well, no sign of any impact from the supposed attacks that have been often promised but never delivered.  

There was an issue with stales and orphan blocks right at the start caused by too much hashing power on the network, but the difficulty is rising steadily now and we should be seeing the last of that issue in the next couple of hours. I've yet to see any evidence of a fork or any orphan chains. SolidCoin seems to be as Solid as the name would suggest.

I'm happy to report that all of my SollidCoins from the old 1.04 chain before it was taken down by RS/CH are present in my wallet, and everyone I've spoken to so far is reporting the same success on that front, so what we have is a brand new coin with a brand new algorithm, client, mining software and various other cool features all in one, yet carrying on exactly where 1.04 left off. Quite an astonishing acheivement to pull off in only a few weeks and I'd like to thank RealSolid for the fantastic and painstaking work he's put into the client. It really does make the Bitcoin client look rather amateur in comparison.

We have an exchange live already and ticking along nicely in #Bitcoin-Markets, with several more due to follow in the next days and weeks, and the exchanges are only the beginning.

And finally to all the trolls, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your continued interest in SolidCoin. Without you guys trolling us every single day we would not have got nearly as much publicity as we did, and there would not have been nearly as many people ready to start mining, collecting & trading SolidCoins at the re-launch. In fact, without the threat of attack there would have been no justification for taking down the chain at all, which gave RealSolid the opportunity to create something far superior in it's place, so it's fair to say you guys made SolidCoin 2.0 possible. Thanks again guys! Cheesy

Exactly. Generation going nicely too on my 2600K Smiley !
JasonWoods

Activity: 61
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 08:54:58 AM

Just want to remind everybody of the bet running on this:
http://webetcoins.com/rounds/41
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 09:03:28 AM

Just want to remind everybody of the bet running on this:
http://webetcoins.com/rounds/41

Just wanted everybody to bet on my bet so that I can take 5% off your winnings.
FTFY
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 09:04:26 AM

If the measuring stick of an alt chain be its block generation rate, then solidcoin is surely a smashing success. In the words of Gob Bluth,"I've made a huge mistake".
Lolcust

Activity: 112

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 09:08:47 AM

Yeah, Geist Geld now has a huge competitor for "damn fastest coin"

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 10:38:11 AM

I got my first block, goodness, this is quite a hard coin to mine!  The difficulty is now more than 500, can't believe my luck.
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2011, 10:59:14 AM

Anyone going to 51% this with a bunch of high-CPU AWS instances?

LOL fail. It cannot be 51% because of new design with policing peers. Haters gonna hate.

There is going to be a successfull attack within 48 hours after launch.

I was a bit to cautious on my side  Grin
johnj

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 12:50:35 PM

Woke up to a working network with stales out at coinotron heading toward disappearance and the blocks per second rate falling as expected.  Very nice.

How's the "attacking" going?

5s blocks, you tell me Wink

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
johnj

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 12:54:20 PM

Woke up to a working network with stales out at coinotron heading toward disappearance and the blocks per second rate falling as expected.  Very nice.

5x+ longer than when the "attacking" started... sounds like not too well at all.

If the target is 180s/blk, then looks like there is quite a ways to go. How you think 5s blocks are 'normal' this long after launch is beyond me.  Even TBX (which had a much-less hyped launch) reached equilibrium within the first 12hrs or so (I think).

atticus

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:02:14 PM

5x+ longer than when the "attacking" started... sounds like not too well at all.

If the target is 180s/blk, then looks like there is quite a ways to go. How you think 5s blocks are 'normal' this long after launch is beyond me.  Even TBX (which had a much-less hyped launch) reached equilibrium within the first 12hrs or so (I think).

The TBX launch wasn't pre-announced. Not only that, but it was the first GPU hostile currency - people weren't set up to mine it.  Different situation here. When you pre-announce a coin (see I0coin) expect people to slam it. The starting difficulty should have been set much higher. Still have yet to see any evidence of an "attack".  What happened to the "chain reorganization"?
Lolcust

Activity: 112

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:03:03 PM

The whole problem is that formally, this behavior might very well be normal, much like formally, "Mr. Big McHuge" steamrolling the "simple guys" chain in Fairbrix was "normal per protocol

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Ten98

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:08:11 PM

I got my first block, goodness, this is quite a hard coin to mine!  The difficulty is now more than 500, can't believe my luck.

Nice! Bear in mind you got your own block solo mining in less than 12 hours. Try doing that with BTC, even with 5 fast GPUs, and let me know how you get on Wink

Quote from: terrytibbs
Because GUI improvements were amongst the biggest of worries when the blockchain was locked down for weeks on end.

Well yes and no, of course a nice GUI is important, crypto currencies will live and die by how many people use them. Of course we need and want to support the Linux CLI crowd, which is why there's a Linux daemon version as well as a GUI version. However, 95%+ of computer users are running Windows and are accustomed to reliable, easy to use programs with a friendly GUI. To gain mass adoption from those 95% you need a quality GUI.

Having said that, GUI development is a very small part of what has changed in Solidcoin. Bigger changes of more importance were:

- Blockchain attack protection, including 51% and various others
- CPU hashing algorithm and built-in miner with equal performance on Windows / Linux
- Coin Protection Fund implementation

and various other cool features. These of course took precedent over the GUI improvements, which are actually fairly minor. Expect a much nicer looking client in the future.

Quote from: Coinhumper
The only way Coinhunter saves any face and a chance of life for SC 2.0 is to claim a huge design flaw and restart. With 372,000 coins printed in less than 7 hours, that will easily grow to over a million in the first 24 hours, What do you think this just did to the value of Solidcoin 1.0 crossovers? Even CH's premined 1 Million is now diluted.

Nevermind SC20 favors early adopters at 10X factor more than Bitcoin ever did. What happen to the non early adopter advantage?

Restart is the only option or this fork is dead.

Ok, this is obviously a troll post, but quite a funny one so I thought I'd take the time to respond to it in full.

Actually, I think 750k coins generated in the 24 hours is about where we will end up. At the time of writing, approximately 12 hours in, we are at difficulty 883 with 14650 blocks generated or 469312 coins. This large number in such a short time is purely due to the huge number of mining peers we have connected, over 1000 at last count, which I think is close to 25% of what Bitcoin has, with no sign of the adoption rate slowing.

As you know, the very start of a Blockchain is a unique time where a lot of blocks get generated, as you have a lot of people mining at a low difficulty. This is true of all coins to date with the exception of Bitcoin, as nobody knew what the fuck a Bitcoin was when that was launched, so Satoshi generated all the easy early coins for himself. As difficulty goes up, block generation speed goes down. Since the chain started at difficulty 8, the first 24 hours are the "best" time to mine, as blocks are generated easiest when the difficulty is lowest.

Of course there is an advantage for those people mining in the first week or month, that's true of any CryptoCoin. However, I beleive that Solidcoin 2.0 is the least "early adopter friendly" coin to date. Thanks to all the free publicity we got from trolls, there were so many early adopters right from the get go that nobody really had a chance to accumulate a vast fortune cheaply. Also, the fast difficulty retargets mean that the window of opportunity for anyone to easily accumulate a lot of coins mining is very small, much smaller than any other coin to date.

As you also know, the 1.1 million pre-mined coins represent the coins from the old 1.04 Blockchain. When the Solidcoin Block Explorer comes online, you will be able to see what has happened to them, but I'll give you a sneak preview: They have all been transferred back to their original owners from Solidcoin 1.04 (with the exception of those that were lost on the Mooncoin exchange which will be handled by a separate process later on). As I mentioned in my earlier post, everyone I've spoken to so far has been successful in importing their old wallet.dat from Solidcoin 1.04 and has access to their old coins.

Quote from: JohnJ
If the target is 180s/blk, then looks like there is quite a ways to go. How you think 5s blocks are 'normal' this long after launch is beyond me.  Even TBX (which had a much-less hyped launch) reached equilibrium within the first 12hrs or so (I think).

Indeed there is a ways to go, we are only 12 hours in. Short blocks are indeed normal for this stage in the blockchain, especially when you have so many people mining as hard and as fast as they can. The Tenebrix client (RIP) was an ugly mess, not many people installed it, hence the quick stabilisation of block generation rate for that project. It simply didn't have the mass adoption and hashing power behind it that SC2 does.

So, ladies and gentletrolls, it does appear that RealSolid has delivered on every promise he has made to date, and exceeded all expectations in the process.
johnj

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:15:07 PM

Indeed there is a ways to go, we are only 12 hours in. Short blocks are indeed normal for this stage in the blockchain, especially when you have so many people mining as hard and as fast as they can. The Tenebrix client (RIP) was an ugly mess, not many people installed it, hence the quick stabilisation of block generation rate for that project. It simply didn't have the mass adoption and hashing power behind it that SC2 does.

So, ladies and gentletrolls, it does appear that RealSolid has delivered on every promise he has made to date, and exceeded all expectations in the process.

You're saying that even after 12hrs and 15+ difficulty retargets, the hashing power is still SO STRONG and GROWING that 5s blocks are still 'expected'? SC is at 15k blocks already.

No, that doesn't make *any* sense.

atticus

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:22:33 PM

If it's true that only 1/2 the blocks are generates, it doesn't look so bad.  That would mean ~ 250k coins generated in the last 12h.
johnj

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:24:26 PM

I wrote a haiku in honor of SC2.Fail

"Solidcoin released
Unable to retarget
May it Rest in Peace"

Ten98

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:26:52 PM

If it's true that only 1/2 the blocks are generates, it doesn't look so bad.  That would mean ~ 250k coins generated in the last 12h.

You're absolutely right of course, I forgot about that.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: