Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:58:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Money Laundering  (Read 1168 times)
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:14:40 PM

It is one of the big red flags used against Bitcoin in the PR war, but I don't see it as being this seamless conduit for dirty money.

Most money that flows to exchanges comes via a bank transfer. If the money is in the bank, it's already in the system.

Likewise money flows from sale of bitcoins into bank accounts and is therefore on the radar.

Add to that the eternal nature of the blockchain and any progress in de-anonymizing software and Bitcoin doesn't seem to be any better than other methods.

I understand services like local bitcoins can be used but that is generally a time inefficient way to launder.

There is also the darkweb / silkroad style, but there are plenty of trust issues to deal with there if you are looking to clean large amounts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:23:37 PM

It is one of the big red flags used against Bitcoin in the PR war, but I don't see it as being this seamless conduit for dirty money.

Most money that flows to exchanges comes via a bank transfer. If the money is in the bank, it's already in the system.

Likewise money flows from sale of bitcoins into bank accounts and is therefore on the radar.

Add to that the eternal nature of the blockchain and any progress in de-anonymizing software and Bitcoin doesn't seem to be any better than other methods.

I understand services like local bitcoins can be used but that is generally a time inefficient way to launder.

There is also the darkweb / silkroad style, but there are plenty of trust issues to deal with there if you are looking to clean large amounts.

Yes, but one could still deposit a bunch of dirty money into a bank in another country and then send bitcoins to the person who was trying to launder the money.   That person could then just sell of the bitcoins and take "clean" money.  Money is going to be laundered regardless, and bitcoin is such a small percentage of money right now, they are making a much bigger deal than they need to about it though...
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:58:59 PM

Please see my post here on money laundering hypocrisy:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=449534.msg4965176#msg4965176

It's all you need to know.

Lawsky seems most emphatic and concerned about money laundering, but that's pure hypocrisy. From Bloomberg Jul 23, 2012:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-16/hsbc-aided-money-laundering-by-iran-drug-cartels-probe-shows.html
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:12:39 AM

Lawsky seems most emphatic and concerned about money laundering, but that's pure hypocrisy. From Bloomberg Jul 23, 2012:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-16/hsbc-aided-money-laundering-by-iran-drug-cartels-probe-shows.html

I don't think Lawksy personally cares about laundering, he looked to be speaking on behalf of people that were above his paygrade
RichG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:18:18 AM

We have a choice. A choice between freedom or security. We need to make that choice. Now.

Quote from: Benjamin Franklin
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:31:35 AM

ML is bad

Also bad is that the world is slowly moving towards a state, where freely disposing over one's own hard earned money, is being denounced as ML

Not to mention that most ML exists only, because the government outlaws free exchange of certain goods for money.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:33:08 AM

I never know whether to use hot or cold water, but what I learnt the hard way is not to use too much bleach.  Grin

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:35:54 AM

Yep, I'm well aware of the HSBC / Sinaloa Cartel / Hezbollah laundering. Add Wachovia's, JPM's multi billion dollar fines and Barclays and RBS and the picture is pretty clear. They operate on a separate playing field.

My point is though, that tagging bitcoin as a way to launder money is just scaremongering. It actually has characteristics that make it harder to clean dirty cash, although it is fair to say I am not fully up to speed with how SR style sites get $ in and out. Just regular disinformation, I suppose.
tabnloz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:37:24 AM

I don't think Lawksy personally cares about laundering, he looked to be speaking on behalf of people that were above his paygrade

I think he'll be fielding a few questions about it during his AMA.
xinzark
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:41:44 AM

Drug , weapon , killing + money laudering are the thing that holding btc .
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 12:46:29 AM

Find all uses for money whatsoever illegal, and you'll find everyone "money launderers". Selective perrosecution does not mean everyone isn't a "criminal" in the eyes of the "law".

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
DanielVG

Activity: 266

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 12:48:32 AM

Drug , weapon , killing + money laudering are the thing that holding btc .

Like nobody has been killed for dollars in the past...
Or to buy drugs & weapons.

The big guys aren't into BTC yet :http://imgur.com/a/DYU2e

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 01:27:14 AM

put simply the OP is trying to say

if you take $10,000 from your bank to put into your bitcoin exchange, shouldnt it be the banks job to see the $10,000 movement and them do the AML stuff, instead of exchanges.

but the point is that both the sender AND recipient are supposed to do all the checks, that way if something was dodgy the chain of transactions could be followed, rather then the last knowledge of the transaction being only the bank.

i am all for having FIAT fully tracked. but when it comes to bitcoin withdrawals and bitcoin spending.. that is not part of government juristiction.

FIAT is the trademark of the country of use, so we have to accept FIAT being tracked. but bitcoin does not beleong to banks or government so they should not get involved with the bitcoin side

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
zeetubes

Activity: 371

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 03:13:08 AM

if you take $10,000 from your bank to put into your bitcoin exchange, shouldnt it be the banks job to see the $10,000 movement and them do the AML stuff, instead of exchanges.

Yup. Notice how the $10k threshold for banks reporting a financial transaction hasn't been "adjusted for inflation" since it was implemented. $10,000 in 1970 would probably translate into $100k now. It's just yet another sneaky way of increasing capital controls.

As to money laundering, it's a total crock of shit. People buy drugs. So what? Personally I don't do them but with the world headng towards 50% unemployment, what the hell else are people going to do with their lives? Make them legal and end of problem. Weapons for terrorists? Given that the US gov is the biggest terrorist origanization in the world and by far the biggest seller of weapons to other terrorist organizations around the world, this is definitely holier than thou BS.

That prick Lawsky said something along the lines of "better 1000 legitimate businesses fail than one money launderer goes free." Right...
00ph8al

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:00:55 PM

It's all a smokescreen.  People buy more drugs with USD cash than anything else.  Just look at the pictures above.  Take care of your own house before you come up in mine.

They will argue this, but the only constitutional right the IRS has is to the trade of the USD.  It is ridiculous for them to think they can regulate trade and tax between two private parties who don't want or need their regulation. 

Regulations have to be equally enforceable.  The two parties in the transaction have no motive to take the private transaction public for it to be taxed.  We could publicly settle on a $10 BTC/USD exchange rate.  With the wild fluctuations of crypto there isn't even a way to set a fair market value for them to compare. 

What if American A sells American B yuan for BTC on the steps of the White House?  Does the IRS really have a legal right to tax that exchange?

If I want a safe, stable and expensive transaction I'll use USD.  Anything else, I can use what medium of exchange I want.  And pay the taxes and transfer fees that it requires.

If the IRS wants in this game, they should get their own damn crypto:
100% public blockchain. Everyone's SSN is their only public key.
50% premine (I was going to go with 100% but we all know how they like to keep printing)
5% inflation a year
10% flat transaction tax
Backed by USD  (lol)

The only thing they would have going for them is if they could keep the price stability more even.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 02:13:45 PM

People are guilty until proven innocent just for moving their money around.

When moving money you have to prove that it came from a clean source and is going to a clean source. That is bullshit.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
dddbtc

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:21:22 PM

I never know whether to use hot or cold water, but what I learnt the hard way is not to use too much bleach.  Grin

OH U  Cheesy

bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 03:05:08 PM

Bitcoin does not even have enough volume for money laundering, i doubt any is going on at least in a significant level.
But fact is, Bitcoins are used in drug and other tradings of illicit products or services and only in such illegal markets it has significant volume of transactions.  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: