Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:15:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin  (Read 8869 times)
MyFarm (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 04:42:27 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2015, 03:57:24 AM by MyFarm

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aggster

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 05:43:43 PM

nice article, I hope this takes off, ive done my bit and bought 50 auroras from https://cryptorush.in, I think they are going cheap at the moment, hopefully the value will grow a few orders in magnitude come end of march
MyFarm (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:19:02 PM

Thanks.  If Auroracoin is successful, it truly sets the stage for other cryptocurrencies to replace traditional means of payment.  And the publicity it would generate for cryptocurrencies would be incredible.
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:31:10 PM

The people of Iceland have one of the highest standards of living in the world, so no need to buy a scam coin on their behalf.

And $100 in Iceland is hardly anything anyway. It is also one of the most expensive countries in the world.

The people of Iceland are not smart of rebellious. They are regular people and quite conservative.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
MyFarm (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:40:08 PM

The people of Iceland have one of the highest standards of living in the world, so no need to buy a scam coin on their behalf.

And $100 in Iceland is hardly anything anyway. It is also one of the most expensive countries in the world.

The people of Iceland are not smart of rebellious. They are regular people and quite conservative.
Please read about the Iceland economic crisis here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9311_Icelandic_financial_crisis

And pay special attention to points like this:
By mid-2012 Iceland was regarded as one of Europe's recovery success stories. It has had two years of economic growth. Unemployment was down to 6.3% and Iceland was attracting immigrants to fill jobs. Currency devaluation effectively reduced wages by 50% making exports more competitive and imports more expensive. Ten year government bonds were issued below 6%, lower than some of the PIIGS nations in the EU (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, and Spain). Tryggvi Thor Herbertsson, a member of parliament, noted that adjustments via currency devaluations are less painful than government labor policies and negotiations. Nevertheless, while EU fervor has cooled the government continued to pursue membership.
Not only are the Icelandic people facing steep inflation, but currency devaluations as well.  How would you feel if your currency was devalued 50% AND you had to pay more for goods?  And many are concerned it will continue.  Cryptocurrency takes that power away from the Banking cartels.

I agree $100 is little in the grand scheme of things just as it wouldn't go very far in the USA or Europe.  But if Auroracoin is widely adopted, I suspect that valuation would increase exponentially.  

Auroracoin is anything but a scamcoin.  It is a developer working hard to enact meaningful change.  It's sad that all the scamcoins around here can clouded people's views but I do understand why.
rikkejohn

Activity: 644

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:50:18 PM

Please read about the Iceland economic crisis here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9311_Icelandic_financial_crisis

And pay special attention to points like this:
By mid-2012 Iceland was regarded as one of Europe's recovery success stories. It has had two years of economic growth. Unemployment was down to 6.3% and Iceland was attracting immigrants to fill jobs. Currency devaluation effectively reduced wages by 50% making exports more competitive and imports more expensive. Ten year government bonds were issued below 6%, lower than some of the PIIGS nations in the EU (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, and Spain). Tryggvi Thor Herbertsson, a member of parliament, noted that adjustments via currency devaluations are less painful than government labor policies and negotiations. Nevertheless, while EU fervor has cooled the government continued to pursue membership.
Not only are the Icelandic people facing steep inflation, but currency devaluations as well.  How would you feel if your currency was devalued 50% AND you had to pay more for goods?  And many are concerned it will continue.  Cryptocurrency takes that power away from the Banking cartels.

I agree $100 is little in the grand scheme of things just as it wouldn't go very far in the USA or Europe.  But if Auroracoin is widely adopted, I suspect that valuation would increase exponentially.  

Auroracoin is anything but a scamcoin.  It is a developer working hard to enact meaningful change.  It's sad that all the scamcoins around here can clouded people's views but I do understand why.

I am well aware of the Iceland's economy and the woes suffered because of greedy bankers.

Nonetheless, it is wealthy country with one of the highest GDP per capita in the world ($43,000). It is also considered to be one of the freest economies in the world. Iceland, or at least the average person in Iceland, has it better than most of Europe, with the possible exception of Norway and possibly Sweden and Denmark.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:54:33 PM

Auroracoin does not sound like a coin desiring world wide acceptance.

Giving free coins to Icelanders is very nice but  does nothing to endear itself to the global community.  

Free coins to a poor country may have sparked global interest. http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/world/poorest-countries-in-the-world/

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
MyFarm (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:31:37 PM

Giving free coins to Icelanders is very nice but  does nothing to endear itself to the global community.  
I don't think Auroracoin is so much looking for worldwide adoption, but instead change the economic landscape of Iceland itself.  Those that are looking for profit would likely do exactly that if it was indeed widely accepted in Iceland.
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:07:27 PM

I don't think Auroracoin is so much looking for worldwide adoption, but instead change the economic landscape of Iceland itself.  Those that are looking for profit would likely do exactly that if it was indeed widely accepted in Iceland.

I wish Auroracoin the best. If it can exist and thrive in a very small ecosystem of 330,000 people; more power to it. Its all good.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
MyFarm (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 09:48:22 PM

I wish Auroracoin the best. If it can exist and thrive in a very small ecosystem of 330,000 people; more power to it. Its all good.
The thing is, no currency except hyper-local currencies only exist in a small ecosystem.  The Icelandic Krona is currently traded all over the world.
joiblumen

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:10:12 AM

Iclander here.

When I read about Bitcoin in 2011 I was very excited to try this new technology and anxious to go buy some Bitcoins right away.
I optimistically registered an account at mtgox and looked at every possible way to get my ISK to the exchange. After a while I gave up, the reason being that it was, and still is, illegal to transfer any amount of money from the country without a probable cause or a plane ticket.
So in a sense buying Bitcoins is illegal in Iceland do to capital controls.

When Auroracoin popped up, at first I thought to myself, hah, an "Icelandic" coin!.. how unexacting. But when I read about the airdrop I soon realised it actually could be the start of something revolutionary.

It will be very interesting to see how this experiment plays out. I hope, at the very least, people and media here in Iceland start talking about the use of crypto currencies, not just the price.

I am currently writing an article about crypto currencies in Icelandic to explain this new technology in simple terms and highlight the potential benefits of cryptocurrencies for the economy.

Regarding the development of Auroracoin, I will soon post a bounty thread on http://forum.auroracoin.org/ with a list of potential projects for Auroracoin. We need get some community momentum going and start developing and advertising.

-Joi

DanielVG

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:24:43 AM

Iceland is the perfect country for this project.
mkonecny

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:25:45 AM

If there's any country this idea could work, it's in Iceland. Even BBC covered this a few weeks ago. Not sure why it's still under the radar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26083733
Yeap

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 02:55:45 AM

Guess what would happen to the price of Gold if you gave everyone 100 oz of Gold? 

I'll give you a clue, it goes badly.
LTEX
Legendary

Activity: 1023

ltex.nl

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 07:05:23 PM

Iclander here.

When I read about Bitcoin in 2011 I was very excited to try this new technology and anxious to go buy some Bitcoins right away.
I optimistically registered an account at mtgox and looked at every possible way to get my ISK to the exchange. After a while I gave up, the reason being that it was, and still is, illegal to transfer any amount of money from the country without a probable cause or a plane ticket.
So in a sense buying Bitcoins is illegal in Iceland do to capital controls.

When Auroracoin popped up, at first I thought to myself, hah, an "Icelandic" coin!.. how unexacting. But when I read about the airdrop I soon realised it actually could be the start of something revolutionary.

It will be very interesting to see how this experiment plays out. I hope, at the very least, people and media here in Iceland start talking about the use of crypto currencies, not just the price.

I am currently writing an article about crypto currencies in Icelandic to explain this new technology in simple terms and highlight the potential benefits of cryptocurrencies for the economy.

Regarding the development of Auroracoin, I will soon post a bounty thread on http://forum.auroracoin.org/ with a list of potential projects for Auroracoin. We need get some community momentum going and start developing and advertising.

-Joi

Welcome Joi! As one of the serious backers of this coin I invite you to join our discussion on aurora coin.org http://forum.auroracoin.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29. We could definitely use some natives on our team  Grin

A fool will just look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
lemfuture

Activity: 686

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:06:57 PM

thats it? no innovation?

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
DanielVG

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:09:27 PM

Does this coin have a website?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:15:53 PM

I consider this coin as an experiment. If it doesn't work in Iceland, it'll probably work nowhere.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
LTEX
Legendary

Activity: 1023

ltex.nl

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 07:29:41 PM

thats it? no innovation?

Inovation doen't always come from technology my friend. In this case the innovation lies within the implementation within a wisely chosen and targeted economy.

A fool will just look at the finger, even if it points to paradise!
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 07:32:52 PM

Unless this coin is released by Icelandic devs and supporters, you guys don't see a problem of foreigners feeling entitled to replace the currency of Iceland?

You also don't see a problem of foreigners pumping-and-dumping a national currency on an exchange? Also, who said Icelanders want to get rid of the government they elected?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██