Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:32:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PLATO's Bitcoin Road Trip Completed! [June 19-? Bonus round! SFO PDX SEA YVR]  (Read 23981 times)
tashlan

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2011, 06:15:07 PM

I saw you on the Bitcoin show (http://onlyonetv.com/#1) and added a pin in the St. Louis area.  Should you happen to stop through (on your way west, hint hint), I'd be more than happy to fill your tank for improving my meager holdings in Bitcoin.  Smiley  Might be able to provide more, maybe not.  Depends on the timing.  Just don't stay too long... you might never leave!!

EDIT: I'm new to the colab map stuff.  Not positive my pin is useful and not just a smudge.  Some quick tips for interested parties leaving pins (so you can actually contact them) might be a good idea.

Want something to see while you're here?  Interested in architecture, spelunking?  Not my site, but might be of interest: http://builtstlouis.blogspot.com/

You used the term Couch Surfing, but I don't see it explicitly linked anywhere, so I'll plunk this down:  http://www.couchsurfing.org
I haven't participated, but seems like a good crowd.  I'd imagine they could be a big help to you.  I imagine Bitcoin could be a big help to them!

Seems that somewhere along this journey you should swap rides with someone.  Get a bike or electric car or something.  Make it epic!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
skittixch

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 07:03:35 PM

I still need this data cable so I can start uploading the pictures I'm taking. Let me know if you're willing to proxy buy it for me.

If you can provide a shipping address (perhaps to someone who you'll be staying with along your journey..with their permission of course), I'd be happy to buy the cable and have it shipped to them/you.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 08:29:36 PM

PLATO you are a hero!

Just brainstorming some more ideas:

* you could host a bitcoin barbecue somewhere on the way. people bring the meat and beer, you eat, and in eating pauses tell them about bitcoins
* Bitcoin fireworks. lets get some people to stand in the bitcoin coin symbol arrangement and fire some fireworks in the sky
* you draw a bitcoin onto the map (round shaped coin + the "B" symbol by making this your trip pattern) I am happy to donate some coins if you need more fuel for the car

mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 08:49:58 PM

I just watched the first episode of the bitcoin show on http://onlyonetv.com/ and would like to wish you good luck. Also sent you couple bitcoins  Wink Hope you don't run out of gas/petrol!
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 10:03:54 PM

I still need this data cable so I can start uploading the pictures I'm taking. Let me know if you're willing to proxy buy it for me.

If you can provide a shipping address (perhaps to someone who you'll be staying with along your journey..with their permission of course), I'd be happy to buy the cable and have it shipped to them/you.

If he wants, he can have it shipped to me. I'm in Florida, which he is getting close to, and I've already pledged some gas.
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 10:29:03 PM

You know what might help? If in the places you are going, you are speaking or doing some kind of event, you could have a pre made press release that you could give to someone in that area to put out. It might give you more publicity.
jacroe

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 05:22:26 AM

* you could host a bitcoin barbecue somewhere on the way. people bring the meat and beer, you eat, and in eating pauses tell them about bitcoins

+1 for BBQ. Barbecue makes everything better.
PLATO (OP)

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 05:41:58 PM

Oh man a bitcoin barbecue would RULE! mizerydearest says he/she's found a lot of Bitcoiners in the San Francisco area, so we should meet up there. Actually I'm meeting up with a few more Bitcoiners in the Raleigh area tonight at 10pm. Tomorrow morning I plan on heading to Charlotte, NC, then onwards to Huntsville, AL, where I'll be giving a presentation on Bitcoins at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. That should be Tuesday or Wednesday.

Distribution: Premade press releases is a good idea. I've also found myself wanting business cards with my contact info, etc to hand out to the random people I meet. Unfortunately I might end up skipping FL, now that I have this gig lined up in Huntsville - just to save some miles. My transmission was making some weird noises a few days ago. They've since stopped but I'm kinda leery.

Gotta run and get some lunch with another Bitcoiner! I'll be back later this afternoon.
PLATO

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 08:06:59 PM

I just received my Bitcoin branded Tshirts that I proudly wear in Switzerland.
Got them made in the US (with Bitboy's approval of course) and will gladly ship one to you, should only take a few days.
Do you know where you will be in a week?

front

back

Accompanied by

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 01:46:19 AM

My hats off to you roadtripper. This is awesome!

I'll send some coins your way when I get the next pooled mining payout. Truly awesome! Smiley

Just love your adventurous attitude!
Herodes

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 01:49:04 PM

I suggest that everyone that reads this thread submits the story about the roadtrip to wired.com, so that they will write about it, or any other news media. I've already submitted it to wired.com.
Steve

Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2011, 02:18:52 PM

When will you be coming through Atlanta?  I could meet you and sell you things you need for BTC.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
PLATO (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2011, 06:58:19 PM

Steve-
I skipped atlanta, I heroically drove 700 miles from NC to AL yesterday. I'm meeting up with bitcoin2cash now.

I emailed Wired and Ars when I was starting the trip but never heard back. What I would REALLY love is for Joe Rogan to pick up on this and have me on his podcast when I reach LA. I'm pretty sure he would love the idea of Bitcoins. Tweet @joerogan and tell him what I'm doing!

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
jacroe

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 05:25:46 PM

How did the talk come out? Did many people show up? Were they interested or what?
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 09:58:59 PM

Aw man, I wish I had noticed this topic sooner.  I could have met you for lunch in Atlanta if you had ended up staying.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 08:54:51 AM

Watch out for tornadoes!

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 12:15:47 PM

Are you OK?

PLATO (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 01:37:47 PM

Hey Bit_Happy -

I'm alright, I haven't had time to post much in the past week. Note that my twitter feed is more active than my blog. I'm in Montgomery AL and have been for a few days. I'm heading back to Eclectic AL to continue cleaning up tornado damage (see sig.)

Also, Ribuck paid his pledged 200 BTC. Thanks dude!

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 01:57:12 PM

Status report:

Thanks for the pins, everyone! I have enough to get to Florida - http://goo.gl/CflUH.
I haven't picked a hard departure date yet but I'm leaning towards the week of April 10th. I'm gonna head to MIT in Boston for a day or two (thanks Llama!), then head to Schenectady NY to give a talk on Bitcoin at my alma mater, Union College. I'll be explaining how the system works, what it is, etc. and talk about my trip. Details to follow when they're hashed out. I'd love to give more talks along the way, so if you know of a potential venue, get in touch with me.

Here's some pics of my ride: http://imgur.com/a/MixaF

God I can't wait to get to some warm states - Connecticut has not been warm since September.

PLATO

you're backtracking?
PLATO (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 02:05:41 PM

nope, that's just old info. i'm pressing on westwards midweek. gonna stop in Louisiana and meet up with EvanR.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: