Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:45:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This game is very simple.  (Read 7626 times)
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 06:00:06 PM

I'm usually able to talk my friends into trying something if it's even a halfway decent idea. So far I've gotten my best friend to dip his toe into the bitcoin pool but I haven't yet tried talking my other friends into it yet. There's not yet enough utility in bitcoins to make the average person feel benefited. I'll probably clue them in once I feel the tipping point to mainstream acceptance is upon us. If I tell them too early they're liable to get bored, call it a dud, and bail. Most people aren't into long-term thinking, unfortunately.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 06:02:23 PM

I'm usually able to talk my friends into trying something if it's even a halfway decent idea. So far I've gotten my best friend to dip his toe into the bitcoin pool but I haven't yet tried talking my other friends into it yet. There's not yet enough utility in bitcoins to make the average person feel benefited. I'll probably clue them in once I feel the tipping point to mainstream acceptance is upon us. If I tell them too early they're liable to get bored, call it a dud, and bail. Most people aren't into long-term thinking, unfortunately.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing. Plus I have some friends that are interested but paranoid because of their jobs and that btc could become illegal fairly soon.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 12:27:27 AM

That said, it seems to be a split between people who really, truely don't care, and people who go "hell yes! Fuck the fed! I need to get into this". Not an even split, but a split. Most people don't care, or worry about "how do you get the money back out".
There are also people who think it's a cool idea, but probably a scam.

I haven't told many people, so these statements of mine don't come from much of a sample set.

Yeah, I have a friend who got into it and started calling it a "two bit con" because he couldn't generate any blocks with his i7 processor. Although I had another friend who told me it sounded like we were just trying to invent money, but was in disbelief when I told him I got web hosting, donated money to the Japanese Red Cross, and bought a Chinese cartoon, all for Bitcoins. I've only been into it about two weeks. But I'm glad that I'm into it.
Anonymous

March 23, 2011, 12:39:34 AM

Vacation canceled.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 12:42:02 AM

That said, it seems to be a split between people who really, truely don't care, and people who go "hell yes! Fuck the fed! I need to get into this". Not an even split, but a split. Most people don't care, or worry about "how do you get the money back out".

I haven't told many people, so these statements of mine don't come from much of a sample set.

Yeah, I have a friend who got into it and started calling it a "two bit con" because he couldn't generate any blocks with his i7 processor. Although I had another friend who told me it sounded like we were just trying to invent money, but was in disbelief when I told him I got web hosting, donated money to the Japanese Red Cross, and bought a Chinese cartoon, all for Bitcoins. I've only been into it about two weeks. But I'm glad that I'm into it.

Yeah I'm about to order a china girl express too.
I'm making money on a Ponzi scheme (see sig).
Pretty awesome.

moneyandtech.com
Distribution

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:02:13 AM

Vacation canceled.

A month+ vacation canceled? That's quite a schedule to go back on. Where were you going?
Anonymous

March 23, 2011, 01:14:30 AM

Vacation canceled.

A month+ vacation canceled? That's quite a schedule to go back on. Where were you going?
A month long fast at the lake.
carp

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 02:57:31 AM

Yeah I'm about to order a china girl express too.
I'm making money on a Ponzi scheme (see sig).
Pretty awesome.

Actually, it took a while with no downlines, but, I did make half again my investment back.
Though the one guy I know who does run a small buisiness selling stuff online, and a couple who are thinking about it, are all interested in accepting bitcoins.

So once they have a few, i bet I can convince em to invest lol

Though, is it really a ponzi scheme if it doesn't try to convince people that there is some sort of real economic activity going on to support it? The randomizer is pretty unapologetic about what it does.
Distribution

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 03:24:21 AM

Vacation canceled.

A month long fast at the lake.

Is this something you do often?
Anonymous

March 23, 2011, 08:13:12 AM

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1663664

Just thought I would leave this here for everyone to look at. Basically on the largest site about the internet in Australia bitcoin got a bad reception.
A memorable quote from the thread was  " I love paying tax"   Cheesy

I nearly choked on my bitcoins at that one.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 01:05:33 PM

Just thought I would leave this here for everyone to look at. Basically on the largest site about the internet in Australia bitcoin got a bad reception.

Yeah, hard to argue with people that think the dollar is still backed by gold.
Not saying that btc is easy to grasp or a sure thing but some people won't even try.
I think it also hurts us when you look at some of the things for sale.
Drugs etc but it's not any different than cash.

moneyandtech.com
The Script

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 09:09:17 AM

My opinion of Australians just dropped by about 40 bitcoins.  I hope the ones on Whirlpool are not a good representative of the Aussie populace.  Sad

TIME ELAPSE

Actually, after reading through the entire 12 pages of posts, there were only a couple who were spouting economic nonsense.  Most just seemed to have difficulty understanding the benefits.  Probably because Australia isn't facing as serious currency problems as the US.

I understand that it is hard not to respond to sarcasm and ad hominems in kind, but it doesn't help convince people of bit coins.  And while the two posters "lolwut" and "meanwhileinaus" had some great information about and arguments for bitcoin they left their audience rather jaded.  Several other bit coiners managed to keep their cool and spark some interest.  If we want to see bit coins adopted we really need to respect people's rights to disagree and even their right to remain willfully ignorant.  Insults only raise defensive emotional and psychological barriers and will turn people off from bitcoins for good.  Also, try to separate libertarian/anarchist style arguments from bitcoin if you think the audience is going to be turned off by your zeal (as much as I agree with it).  There are plenty of benefits of bitcoins even for non-libertarian and anarchists, no?

Anyway, that's just my two milliBits on the issue.  Smiley
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 09:25:50 AM

Till we get close to the target post this isn't a competition but a colective effort towards a shared goal.
Btw, you probably should add a rule stating people can't post twice (or more) in a row, whoever posts the post just before the target can't win.
Did anyone else greatly appreciate that these two were posted in a row?  Because I sure did Smiley

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 12:21:15 PM

My opinion of Australians just dropped by about 40 bitcoins.  I hope the ones on Whirlpool are not a good representative of the Aussie populace.  Sad

TIME ELAPSE

Actually, after reading through the entire 12 pages of posts, there were only a couple who were spouting economic nonsense.  Most just seemed to have difficulty understanding the benefits.  Probably because Australia isn't facing as serious currency problems as the US.

I understand that it is hard not to respond to sarcasm and ad hominems in kind, but it doesn't help convince people of bit coins.  And while the two posters "lolwut" and "meanwhileinaus" had some great information about and arguments for bitcoin they left their audience rather jaded.  Several other bit coiners managed to keep their cool and spark some interest.  If we want to see bit coins adopted we really need to respect people's rights to disagree and even their right to remain willfully ignorant.  Insults only raise defensive emotional and psychological barriers and will turn people off from bitcoins for good.  Also, try to separate libertarian/anarchist style arguments from bitcoin if you think the audience is going to be turned off by your zeal (as much as I agree with it).  There are plenty of benefits of bitcoins even for non-libertarian and anarchists, no?

I would assume that a lot of people on that site are the smarter / more informed Australians but you're completely right about their currency not suffering (now) like the US.
Also on your point separating political debate from economic and currency. You are going to turn off some people. In the long run they go hand in hand but you don't have to push your views up front. Also it is possible to have bitcoin in a communist, facist, capitalist , liberterian or whatever government.

moneyandtech.com
The Script

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 07:57:16 PM

TIME ELAPSE

I would assume that a lot of people on that site are the smarter / more informed Australians but you're completely right about their currency not suffering (now) like the US.
Also on your point separating political debate from economic and currency. You are going to turn off some people. In the long run they go hand in hand but you don't have to push your views up front. Also it is possible to have bitcoin in a communist, facist, capitalist , liberterian or whatever government.

Exactly.  I'm not saying deny your opinions or pretend to be something you are not.  But if the goal is adoption of bitcoins by as many people as possible we have to target more than just the libertarian anarchists and to do that you can't inseparably wrap bitcoins in the cloak of anarcho-capitalism.  It won't take.  We have to present bitcoins as something that people of all political philosophies can use and then later you can try to persuade them to libertarianism or anarchism or creationism or whatever. 
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 11:44:14 PM

Exactly.  I'm not saying deny your opinions or pretend to be something you are not.  But if the goal is adoption of bitcoins by as many people as possible we have to target more than just the libertarian anarchists and to do that you can't inseparably wrap bitcoins in the cloak of anarcho-capitalism.  It won't take.  We have to present bitcoins as something that people of all political philosophies can use and then later you can try to persuade them to libertarianism or anarchism or creationism or whatever. 
+1

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2011, 01:25:46 PM

...creationism...
Do not want.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
The Script

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 07:10:29 AM

Who cares?  People are free to believe what they will.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

This game is very simple. You have fruitful conversation with your fellow bitcoiners and whoever reaches post 9,999 wins 5 BTC.
Careful with the wording! That means that even if I am post #10,000, #10,001 or even #100,000 I would meet your criteria.

The question is, how long until this thread becomes a resource blackhole?

Ditto.  This is definitely a resource blackhole.  I feel sorry for the webhost.  It could even be possibly considered some new type of virus.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 02:20:17 PM

It is doable - see this Australian thread (NSFW possibly) thats up to 17,086 posts... http://www.zgeek.com/showthread.php/9800-Random-Picture-Thread!/page1140

That thread is 9 years old and still going Shocked

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: