Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:03:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: backdoor-merged-mining with cheating miners  (Read 4842 times)
Seraphim401

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 09:50:48 PM

It is "unofficial" because there were silly problems before and I didn't finish GUI yet. Sorry, but it looks like you never developed something what must be together 24/7 up and on bleeding edge (which MM definitely is).
What is the timeline for getting the gui online?
I think it's good for NMC to have at least one of the big boys on board.

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shads

Activity: 266
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 02:22:04 AM

However if a pool op wanted to hide it all they'd have to do is when they won a bitcoin block don't send the solution to the aux chain.  Then there's no link... They lose 1 block on the aux chain but they get all the aux chain blocks that meet aux difficulty but not bitcoin difficulty, which is most of the.

Nonsense. Everytime pool is doing MM on BTC network, his coinbase is different (much longer) than usual. So you can detect if pool is doin MM, lets watch "raw data" of his blocks. There's no way ho to hide this information.

Example of coinbase while merge mining: http://blockexplorer.com/rawblock/00000000000008371089fddbdee1f7cf580d98e64c276c649102d2ab95fd9844

Fair call...  A pool op would still have plausible deniability.  You can insert any old junk into the coinbase.   Correct me if I'm wrong but the MM specific stuff in the coinbase is the merkle root + tree size + nonce so with a random nonce the only real signature is the tree size and length of the data.

However, plausible deniability is probably largely academic since any pool up with unexplained data in their coinbases will no doubt come under suspicion now.

BTW this looks wrong to me: coinbase":"045dee091a03ac8701522cfabe6d6defb6519b6439e5852d2cdba258fe21438204f3eb6f69001fc d74e884ee87482b0100000000000000"

it indicates a tree size of 0?

PoolServerJ Home Page - High performance java mining pool engine

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
Stop wasting the internet.
Iyeman

Activity: 1183
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 03:27:40 AM

Stealing may not be the right term, but we (the people mining at official merged pools) would get more nmc if it weren't for you, even if you pay out the earning to your miners.

Who gives a flying crap.  If you can't compete then die.  Sorry this is capitalism at its finest.

I don't use slush pool but your claims he took "your namecoins" are beyond pathetic.  If your hashing power sucks so bad you can't compete then close up shop.  You aren't entitled to any monopoly of namecoins.  

As far as using test-net. Most of the issues w/ merge mining deal w/ large pool integration.  It is kinda hard to find 100GH/s worth of hashing power willing to spend couple hours on test-net simultaneously for free.  

Grow a pair and stop whining.  If you think slush's test wass bad just wait I predict within a month most major pool will be merge mining (because miners will flow to those who are) so you can expect 5TH+ more competition.

I predict that once they have killed off the bitparking exchange dumping all them coins on it, merged mining will be dropped like a hot potato by them same weasels who have jumped on leaving namecoin in even worse shape than before.

lol not going to kill off the exchange, It will dip low as all the new hashing power mines a bunch of blocks quickly and the Difficulty stabilizes back to a normal 6 blocks an hour.  This will just give people the ability to buy into NMC cheaply if people are willing to sell off there NMC cheaply.

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
█████                 ▀▀███▄
█████▄                   ▀██▄
███▀███▄                  ███
███  ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ███
███     ▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄██▀
███                   ▀▀████
███      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▄█▄
███   ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀██
███ ▄██▀▀                  ██
██████                    ██▀