Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:01:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused?  (Read 1928 times)
corrosion (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:02:43 AM

I'm trying to figure out how money I have is "mine" there seems to be no account to store my money in.. :/

Is there a paypal like website that I can create an account and store my bitcoins there?  I'm sorry I'm just having trouble figure out how this works

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:07:02 AM

I'm trying to figure out how money I have is "mine" there seems to be no account to store my money in.. :/

Is there a paypal like website that I can create an account and store my bitcoins there?  I'm sorry I'm just having trouble figure out how this works

Think of bitcoin as cash in your wallet. You don't create an account for cash. It's just..your.

corrosion (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:07:58 AM

Thats not what I mean...

What I'm saying is what teathers my bitcoins to me?
My ip? thats no good its dynamic... my pc? thats no good what if it crashes....

Can i get an account to link it?
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:09:37 AM

You own your Bitcoins because they are associated with your private keys which only you have and keep secret. The private keys are stored in a file called wallet.dat (%appdata\Bitcoin in Windows). Therefore, you should back it up and encrypt it if you don’t want to lose your Bitcoins.
corrosion (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:14:15 AM

Hmmm...

I think the system needs some serious refining, no matter how many people accept this currency if its not user friendly people wont touch it, I'm not knocking it or anything at all.. Just saying is all..
I'll mess with this a bit but idk atm... :/
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:17:54 AM

Hmmm...

I think the system needs some serious refining, no matter how many people accept this currency if its not user friendly people wont touch it, I'm not knocking it or anything at all.. Just saying is all..
I'll mess with this a bit but idk atm... :/
The client should become more user-friendly in this regard in the future, but if you don’t want to bother with it, you should make an account with an e-wallet service like mybitcoin.com.
corrosion (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 05:23:30 AM

Hmmm......

Any jobs to make bitcoin?
I'm skeptical of course, I'm use most new users are, although
don't get me wrong I understand the idea behind this and think it can work but as it stands... idk
Local

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 06:52:49 AM

All the currencies you are used to using have a central database witch keeps track of which accounts have how many credits.

With Bitcoin everyone holds that database so that we can check incoming payments. But only you hold the keys to your credits.
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 06:05:33 PM

Any jobs to make bitcoin?

Yes. You can claim a bounty ( https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Active_Bounties ) or work a regular job for btc. ( http://www.bitcoinjobs.com/ )
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 06:13:31 PM

Bitcoin infrastructure is definitely not so friendly as it can be, but on the other hand - did you ask in your bank, how they processing the payments and why your bank acount number looks so weird? There are plenty of things in standard banking which you (probably) don't understand!

Take Bitcoin as your personal bank - you have application which told you some wallet address - "bank account". As the end user (unless you're not doing some illegal activity and you don't need to hide yourself), everything you need to know is "keep your wallet.dat safe". The rest like delivering payments to your account is on the Bitcoin network.

ryepdx

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 06:19:25 PM

You're absolutely right. Linux is WAY more powerful/customizable/secure than Windows, but it continues to have a smaller share of the desktop market because it's also (for most people) harder to use than Windows. Distros like Ubuntu have helped remedy this state of affairs, but there's a long road still ahead because of Linux's legacy of user unfriendliness.

We need to create a mind-numbingly simple, incredibly sexy looking, easy-to-use client for the bitcoin network before we attract and subsequently lose too many people due to bad marketing and a mediocre GUI.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 06:23:06 PM

Thats not what I mean...

What I'm saying is what teathers my bitcoins to me?
My ip? thats no good its dynamic... my pc? thats no good what if it crashes....

Can i get an account to link it?
The blockchain, freely available to anyone on the network, is analogous to a publicly-accessible bank vault. Bitcoins are stored in safety deposit boxes. Your wallet.dat file on your computer holds your keys to your box with your coins in it.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 08:46:26 PM

You're absolutely right. Linux is WAY more powerful/customizable/secure than Windows, but it continues to have a smaller share of the desktop market because it's also (for most people) harder to use than Windows. Distros like Ubuntu have helped remedy this state of affairs, but there's a long road still ahead because of Linux's legacy of user unfriendliness.

We need to create a mind-numbingly simple, incredibly sexy looking, easy-to-use client for the bitcoin network before we attract and subsequently lose too many people due to bad marketing and a mediocre GUI.

If we can make it as pretty as a MacBook they won't have to understand how it works.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
ryepdx

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 08:56:25 PM

If we can make it as pretty as a MacBook they won't have to understand how it works.

Exactly. We need to get a good graphic designer and a good programmer teamed up on this one.

I'm working on a pet project in the little bit of spare time I have that I hope will make bitcoins more accessible. It'll be a lot like MyBitcoin but more user friendly and without the transaction fee. After that I'd like to create a custom client that'll look good and tie in to the aforementioned project.

If someone is interested in developing the client first, though, that would work well enough. Integration with my pet project could come later. I'm playing with the idea of open-sourcing the web app simply because I don't have much time these days. I got involved with a startup not too long ago and I'm currently the only developer. :-/
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 09:49:01 PM

Exactly. We need to get a good graphic designer and a good programmer teamed up on this one.

I'm working on a pet project in the little bit of spare time I have that I hope will make bitcoins more accessible. It'll be a lot like MyBitcoin but more user friendly and without the transaction fee. After that I'd like to create a custom client that'll look good and tie in to the aforementioned project.

If someone is interested in developing the client first, though, that would work well enough. Integration with my pet project could come later. I'm playing with the idea of open-sourcing the web app simply because I don't have much time these days. I got involved with a startup not too long ago and I'm currently the only developer. :-/

It's not just graphics though. I think it's easy enough to send / receive but we need something to easily back it up / encrypt / decrypt.
If you had something on the menu that said "back up unencrypted" and a button that said "backup encrypted" and when you hit those buttons it asked you where you want to save the backup. If you clicked encrypted it asked you for a password and then encrypted it and saved it where you wanted it.  Another button that said "load backup" you click that and it loads if it's encrypted it asks you for the PW and decrypts then loads it. You could also integrate it to back it up online etc or email encrypted copies to yourself whatever.
The point is make it stupid simple and pretty. I'm thinking BitCoin meets Jessica Simpson.

moneyandtech.com
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 10:07:12 PM

I plan on releasing a new version of WalletBuddy next week. It works quite well now, but initial set up is confusing, and there are some new features I have added/fleshed out that will be ready soon.
ryepdx

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 10:52:10 PM

I plan on releasing a new version of WalletBuddy next week. It works quite well now, but initial set up is confusing, and there are some new features I have added/fleshed out that will be ready soon.

Nice. Looks like you're headed in the right direction.

It's not just graphics though. I think it's easy enough to send / receive but we need something to easily back it up / encrypt / decrypt.
If you had something on the menu that said "back up unencrypted" and a button that said "backup encrypted" and when you hit those buttons it asked you where you want to save the backup. If you clicked encrypted it asked you for a password and then encrypted it and saved it where you wanted it.  Another button that said "load backup" you click that and it loads if it's encrypted it asks you for the PW and decrypts then loads it. You could also integrate it to back it up online etc or email encrypted copies to yourself whatever.
The point is make it stupid simple and pretty. I'm thinking BitCoin meets Jessica Simpson.

Of course it's not just graphics. But it's hard to overestimate the power of a pretty interface. People in general decide how they feel about something in the first split second they see it. They then look for reasons to back up whatever it is that first impression made them feel.
compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 12:35:43 AM

now that is a good idea.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 12:38:44 AM

now that is a good idea.

Yeah and I hate Apple but that's why I'm working on an iphone app.

moneyandtech.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: