Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:07:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm thinking of starting a Bitcoin grocery delivery service  (Read 980 times)
HorseCoin (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 04:53:17 PM

I'm based out of Sarasota, FL.  but we could start a company where we can hire employees in various cities to go grocery shopping for people and deliver them.  Anyone interested in this idea?
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 04:57:19 PM

I'm based out of Sarasota, FL.  but we could start a company where we can hire employees in various cities to go grocery shopping for people and deliver them.  Anyone interested in this idea?

Being under house arrest I'd love a Postmates type delivery service that accepts BTC!

Postmates.com is great

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:38:32 PM

It's a great idea, just make sure you get your DBPR (might be DPBR?) license. Grub Hub was hit with a suit over that not too long ago. You would also want to invest in some form of liability insurance, and definitely form a LLC. There were some guys last year out of Orlando that were attempting the same thing, but I don't think they ever followed it through to completion. Good luck, I'm on the Treasure Coast, if you ever need someone local to bounce ideas off of.
nitehawk

Activity: 532

Worldcore - Banking for the Future

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:43:38 PM

theres a service in my area that does it for cash or credit but bitcoin wouldnt be a bad idea. .

▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄█████████████████████▄
      ▄██████████████████████████▄
    ▄█████████████████▀▀▀██████████
   █████████████████       ███████
  ██████▀▀▀████████   ███   ██████   █
 █████       ██████   ███   ██████   ██
 ████   ███   █████   ███   █████   ███
█████   ███   █████   ███    ████   ████
█████   ███   █████   ████   ████   ████
████    ███   ████   █████   ███   █████
████   ████   ████   █████   ███   █████
▀███   ████   ████   ██████       █████
 ███   █████   ███   ████████▄▄▄███████
  █   ██████   ███   █████████████████
      ███████       █████████████████
     ██████████▄▄▄█████████████████▀
     ▀███████████████████████████▀
       ▀▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Worldcore
▄▄
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
▀▀  ██
    ██
    ▄▄
    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ▀▀
██   
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:20:12 PM

I am so sad that I don't live in your area and even in your country, but your idea is GREAT!

I hope you will find people to do that!

Wish you all best!

Bitcoin support is always welcome!
vm_mpn

Activity: 605

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 10:16:06 PM

I think problem with the idea is it's ahead of it's time - how many people out there will be ready to pay with BTC?

Yankee... LOL
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 11:24:16 PM

I think problem with the idea is it's ahead of it's time - how many people out there will be ready to pay with BTC?

Yankee... LOL

How about we make a bet on it?

I bet 1 BTC he gets 100 customers the first 2 weeks of launching.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 11:38:05 PM

I think you should go for it.

That being said, I would be REALLY impressed if you could show, in advance, that the theoretical profit margin ought to be x% higher for a Bitcoin-based grocery delivery service than a fiat-based one. My understanding is that groceries is a really low-margin business, so an extra percentage point could be a big deal.

OBVIOUSLY you wouldn't start out as a super-efficient business, with or without Bitcoin... so charge a high premium or whatever to make it work. But if you could demonstrate scalability, you might get some investors really interested.
Rawted

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:35:28 AM

I think you should go for it.

That being said, I would be REALLY impressed if you could show, in advance, that the theoretical profit margin ought to be x% higher for a Bitcoin-based grocery delivery service than a fiat-based one. My understanding is that groceries is a really low-margin business, so an extra percentage point could be a big deal.

OBVIOUSLY you wouldn't start out as a super-efficient business, with or without Bitcoin... so charge a high premium or whatever to make it work. But if you could demonstrate scalability, you might get some investors really interested.
Grocery stores are a very low margin business, you're correct. However, he would be contributing to, and not competing with, their business. Grocery chains have such low profits because of the logistics of moving fresh food. In the case of a delivery service, the onus would still fall on the store itself.

OP - you really want to kick this idea up a notch?

Partner up with something like ziplist (grocery shopping/store layout app), or approach the individual chains themselves and get them to develop something similar to - https://www.internetretailer.com/2011/10/19/mobile-app-helps-shoppers-steer-their-grocery-carts. Display a map of the store with the ability to view virtual sections, and literally choose items off the shelf (can display ads to users here as well, since there will be plenty of time spent on site and very targeted traffic).

When your delivery people go to do the shopping, the same app will guide them through their shopping list (literally telling them where to turn, what aisle/shelf, etc), making the entire process really streamlined. One of your guys could be in charge of finding appropriate coupons and BOGOs for the stores you shop from, further allowing you to increase your profit and keep service charges lower.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 09:24:30 AM

Yankee... LOL

it is not important.
Not many Smiley but will do support and advert!
vm_mpn

Activity: 605

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 10:25:32 AM

Yankee... LOL

Hey Charlie.,

You've misunderstood me...  I was just laughing because we have an imprisoned legend among us (I've read your story) who happens to be a fearless advocate of Bitcoin.  I still think grocery delivery business will not survive on Bitcoin alone - OP will most likely end up taking fiat as primary currency and may be get a few BTC clients on the way. If you really want to bet your BTC send it to OP and help him to succeed instead of wasting it on me.

Vadim
P.S. Sorry if I came across as an a.hole - did not mean to.
weedo84

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:45:54 AM

This is always a good idea, but I think this whole business relies on where the BTC users are, plus I remember doing a study once and it showed up that it's mostly stay at home spouses that use this business and their usually not even slightly tech-oriented.

So it could be good in your region to do a small survey that you post around everywhere in your area- if the results are really good on BTC users, then start developing the site... and then count me in lol..

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 04:02:37 AM

Yankee... LOL

Hey Charlie.,

You've misunderstood me...  I was just laughing because we have an imprisoned legend among us (I've read your story) who happens to be a fearless advocate of Bitcoin.  I still think grocery delivery business will not survive on Bitcoin alone - OP will most likely end up taking fiat as primary currency and may be get a few BTC clients on the way. If you really want to bet your BTC send it to OP and help him to succeed instead of wasting it on me.

Vadim
P.S. Sorry if I came across as an a.hole - did not mean to.

All good  Grin

My bet is still on if you wanna take it!

Im under house arrest, so this service would be amazing for me. Even something like getting a bagel in the morning takes 45 minutes because I have to order it.

On that note, if someone wants to bring me bagels, Ill pay in BTC  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: