Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 09:42:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there even 1 person on this site who thinks mtgox btc holders should sell?  (Read 1440 times)
dynodog (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:41:12 PM

When EVERYONE is saying hold or buy (or even send in money now and buy) on mtgox, something is wrong.  When everyone takes on one side, that position is usually a loser.  Obviously, there are people who are selling - bids are getting hit repeatedly (and this has been going on for some time).  These sellers know something to continue to sell even at these discount prices - they would rather have some cash vs. bitcoin which is valued at 4X the price on other exchanges, even though you can't get cash out either!  A conundrum to be sure.  I am getting the distinct feeling that us little guys in the dark are going to get whacked. 
btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:44:45 PM

Mt.Gox Multi-plaintiff Suit: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=476535.0

The legal representatives are requiring participants to sue for USD, not BTC, so a lot of holders are selling, like it or not.
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:46:29 PM

It all depends on what you think the outcome will be with Gox.

If you think Gox is insolvent/will declare bankruptcy you are better off selling, because it may be easier to get the money back in a lawsuit if your balance is in actual money.

However, if you believe Gox will allow withdrawals again and go back to business as usual, you should buy or trade.

If you cant decide, you are best off just holding.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:47:48 PM

It all depends on what you think the outcome will be with Gox.

If you think Gox is insolvent/will declare bankruptcy you are better off selling, because it may be easier to get the money back in a lawsuit if your balance is in actual money.

However, if you believe Gox will allow withdrawals again and go back to business as usual, you should buy, trade, or hold.

Very hard to choose... I wonder how many people are stuck with Gox.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 05:50:43 PM

It's 2014, bitcoin has gone a long way towards being legally considered money.  I for one will fight in bankruptcy court to treat BTC and USD creditors equally.

It is ridiculous that people think USD they can't get out is 5x as valuable as BTC they can't get out.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:51:24 PM

who knows whats going on behind the scenes at gox.   if gox even has any coins / solvent.   i dont trust them as far as i can throw them
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:53:31 PM

When EVERYONE is saying hold or buy (or even send in money now and buy) on mtgox, something is wrong.  When everyone takes on one side, that position is usually a loser.  Obviously, there are people who are selling - bids are getting hit repeatedly (and this has been going on for some time).  These sellers know something to continue to sell even at these discount prices - they would rather have some cash vs. bitcoin which is valued at 4X the price on other exchanges, even though you can't get cash out either!  A conundrum to be sure.  I am getting the distinct feeling that us little guys in the dark are going to get whacked.  

I would have screamed SELL SELL SELL at any holder of BTC on Gox quite some time ago.

Now, I would be inclined to suggest that they have already taken such a kicking, that if they are still holding BTC, they might as well hold out on a all or nothing basis. Cashing out now is like the difference between opting for a 5-1 defeat instead of gambling with the likelihood of a 6-0, defeat, but with the outside chance of a 5-5 draw.

However, I don't have the misfortune of having money stuck on Gox and pushed and pressed my brother to get the few K he had on Gox, out, just a couple of weeks before all the shit started to happen. I would imagine that there must be some very delirious manic people trapped on Gox right now. A lot of them will have been early adopters and 'believers' in Bitcoin, who may not have had much to begin with, but have experienced a short phase of being extraordinarily wealthy, only to see it all evaporate before their eyes. If I was one of them, perhaps I would want something in USD just in order to be in a tenable position to be behind a law suit against Karpeles.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:53:58 PM

I wonder how many people are stuck with Gox.

My entire balance is in gox.  

Luckily, its just play money (a couple BTC  and around $150) so its not the end of the world if I lose it.  Personally, I believe Gox is going to go insolvent, but since I dont have enough money in there to be worth recovering in a lawsuit, I am actively trading on the off chance withdrawals are allowed again.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:55:16 PM

These sellers know something to continue to sell even at these discount prices

Assuming makes an ass out of you. If I were to sell right now out of fear, you'd still say that I'm selling because I know insider information.

Be humble!
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:56:06 PM

I wonder how many people are stuck with Gox.

My entire balance is in gox.  

Luckily, its just play money (a couple BTC  and around $150) so its not the end of the world if I lose it.  Personally, I believe Gox is going to go insolvent, but I since dont have enough money in there to be worth recovering in a lawsuit, I am actively trading on the off chance withdrawals are allowed again.

I would fight them for every single bitcoin. Do it. One bitcoin is more valuable than you think.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
koryu

Activity: 681
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 05:58:19 PM

i am sorry for everybody who has fiat or btc stuck on gox. here are a lot of people trolling but actally its a bad situation for those who lost or will lose anything there at the moment.

personally if i had fiat/btc on gox i would go half btc / half fiat because i see the chances that you can ever withdraw btc on gox again at 50%.

Bitcoin_is_here_to_stay

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:02:06 PM

The legal representatives are requiring participants to sue for USD, not BTC, so a lot of holders are selling, like it or not.

Ah, that explains why goxUSD are better than goxBTC
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:24:02 PM

I have about 22 BTC there.  It's a gamble that they'll come back, but I'm HODLing for now.
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 08:02:04 PM

Ah, that explains why goxUSD are better than goxBTC

Yes that and the fact that you may be able to withdraw usd easily than btc now but it would still be better to sell here https://bitcoinbuilder.com/ if you had gox than to sell your gox at 111$ to hope for a legal resolution in case gox closes
A lot of the persons that are thinking about a legal battle probably sold at way more than 111$ and they are not buying back

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: