Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 02:23:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this for real?  (Read 1841 times)
sofuca (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:26:47 PM

WTF is going on? if your computer has been compromised then a quick email isn't really going to solve anything...

https://i.imgur.com/hb3n4Am.png
xybersurfer

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:31:07 PM

where did you read this?

GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:31:35 PM

Gox is run so shitty, all the other exchanges are run so pristine and godly like --oh wait

Be humble!
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:32:11 PM

WTF is going on? if your computer has been compromised then a quick email isn't really going to solve anything...

so? what you expected? That they will come to your house and check your pc? Smiley
sofuca (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:33:47 PM

i just picked it up from my gmail - i work in IT so aint going to do anything foolish - I just did a screen grab...and I just read the same on Reddit...
Substar

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:35:14 PM

https://i.imgur.com/hb3n4Am.png

Fake as fuck as you all can see the space between passw and ord Wink

NICE TRY!
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:35:47 PM

i just picked it up from my gmail - i work in IT so aint going to do anything foolish - I just did a screen grab...and I just read the same on Reddit...

good. So you should thanks Bitstamp for letting you know about a problem. Now you can secure yourself Smiley

roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:36:34 PM

Fake as fuck as you all can see the space between passw and ord Wink
NICE TRY!

I saw that too.. but you know Smiley they may did a mistake too. Smiley this is not enought to say this is fake.
Please.
stancarrott

Activity: 29

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:37:06 PM

I disagree - if your computer's compromised and you withdraw your BTC, you could lose them.

I for one appreciate the warning - gives you the chance to do multiple virus scans, check for key loggers & create a new wallet with a new password before you withdraw.
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 06:40:03 PM

I disagree - if your computer's compromised and you withdraw your BTC, you could lose them.

I for one appreciate the warning - gives you the chance to do multiple virus scans, check for key loggers & create a new wallet with a new password before you withdraw.

Indeed! That's why I don't know what OP have on his mind Smiley but he just want to say "BitS...." is bad Smiley and maybe he is right. Maybe not.
This e-mail seems to be very normal... nothing special..
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 4603

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:40:15 PM

Meanwhile Virtex is down for updating again today.

When they came back after yesterday's updating, they'd enabled LTC trading.

Is today's updating for real or has this got something to do with their recent warning about phishing?
sofuca (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:41:30 PM

now bitstamp is telling me my password is too old (i have TFA enabled)
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:43:34 PM

Bitstamp is telling me my password is too old(I consider my password very safe, so do i really need to change it?? randomized with a couple big letters) and I need 2FA

What happens if I lose my phone?? Is the authentication key that they give me enough then?
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:44:58 PM

Bitstamp is telling me my password is too old(I consider my password very safe, so do i really need to change it?? randomized with a couple big letters) and I need 2FA

What happens if I lose my phone?? Is the authentication key that they give me enough then?

The secret code you were shown when you enabled 2FA can be used to restore it on a different device if you lose your phone. Make sure you store this code in a secure location as backup.
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:46:07 PM

I actually think BitStamp's email and temporally disabling withdraw is rather responsible, protects clients' bitcoins from being stolen.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:46:32 PM

Yes, it's most likely real.

Some users reported not being able to withdraw BTC from stamp today, others were able to withdraw (me, for example), and just a few minutes ago, user/hazek (of Bitstamp itself) posted this in the Bitstamp thread:

There are no general Bitcoin withdrawal issues presently. User's who are reporting that they are unable to withdraw Bitcoins will be notified individually via email.

We've discussed the whole thing on the wall thread for a while now, and I think the most likely scenario is that a few accounts were not necessarily compromised but at least *attempted* to be compromised, and they blocked withdrawal for those accounts until you tell them "Yeah, I'm good, my machine isn't compromised".

At least two users already said withdrawal worked again for them after they contacted stamp to tell them to re-enable withdrawals (one guy called them, instead of sending a mail).

Hope this shines some light on the situation.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:49:00 PM

The secret code you were shown when you enabled 2FA can be used to restore it on a different device if you lose your phone. Make sure you store this code in a secure location as backup.

alright thanks, but the email that i use on google authenticator, does it matter anything?

I never use that email and probably don't even know the password
TreeInvest

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:50:18 PM

i get this email too they r hiding they are going bankrupt
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:50:53 PM

alright thanks, but the email that i use on google authenticator, does it matter anything?

I never use that email and probably don't even know the password

No, the email you've registered your phone with has nothing to do with the Google Authenticator app.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 06:52:03 PM

i get this email too they r hiding they are going bankrupt

Wow!

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: