Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 04:31:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Over??  (Read 2238 times)
BitcoinTate

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:18:11 PM

I don't understand why they wont suspend trading if exchange is not functioning properly.
How else could they arbitrage their own exchange and pay off their bills?

- aka The "DigiMan"
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:21:51 PM

Gosh, I could easily liquidate on BitStamp, Coinbase, or with SecondMarket for over $550/BTC, but the crash is happening on Gox so I should probably send my bitcoins there to sell.  Yes?

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist coming back at these levels of drama Cheesy

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
st4nl3y
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:24:26 PM

bitstamp and others are still holding strong but if/when mtgox resumes btc withdrawals, the price will crash everywhere else.
we might even see low 2-digit number on mtgox before this^ happens
zemario

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:25:45 PM

I smell cheap coins.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:34:42 PM

certainly mtgox is taking arbitrages so they pay the bills but someone must have all this fucking money

I mean, I know Gox is pretty fucking incompetent, but it boggles the mind how they could be in debt after all the fees they've been scalping from their victims customers the past few days.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
odysseus654

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:42:46 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2014, 09:10:43 PM by odysseus654

I haven't heard anyone mentioning what I speculate happened, so time to throw my voice into the crowd.

We have a situation where MtGox has without warning disabled bitcoin withdrawals, then a couple days later announce/accuse a hole that permitted someone from getting more bitcoins than they deserved.

Days later another popular "exchange" said they were affected by the same vulnerability and had their entire wallet stolen by the process.

MtGox states that they are in full compliance with Japanese law, which requires all exchanges to be fully solvent while they are running.

What I speculate may have happened is that MtGox's online wallet was completely drained by this exploit and that may have caused bitcoin withdrawals to end.  They may have been smart and had an offline wallet as well (so they aren't completely bled dry) however being a very popular exchange they likely lost a large chunk of their coins in the process and are now bitcoin-insolvent.  They are still operating within the law in this case because Japan doesn't know what bitcoins are yet and they are still fully fiat-solvent.

It also means that their goal would not be to attract more dollars, but try to find some place to get more coins from.  Metering bitcoin withdraws at the beginning would make sense (until they run dry).  I believe they're also scrambling over trying to improve their code to plug the hole, especially with feedback (in threads on this site) as to how low their server code quality is.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:46:34 PM

certainly mtgox is taking arbitrages so they pay the bills but someone must have all this fucking money

I mean, I know Gox is pretty fucking incompetent, but it boggles the mind how they could be in debt after all the fees they've been scalping from their victims customers the past few days.

this exactly (its why I've taken a risk).

not saying they aren't, but if they are, then I'm buying shares in starbucks because there next quarterly report is gonna be through the roof Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:50:03 PM

Network Security Dispatched.

Foreign Thread Eliminated.

Access Denied.

Game Over.
TotalPanda
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1012

vertex output parameter not completely initialized

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 08:52:40 PM

TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 09:03:40 PM

I don't understand why they wont suspend trading if exchange is not functioning properly.
How else could they arbitrage their own exchange and pay off their bills?
Don't you understand? The Modus Operandi of mtgox is to do absolutely nothing. That includes halting trading on their exchange.
DanielVG

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
February 20, 2014, 09:15:03 PM

GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!
jeffg

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2014, 09:36:19 PM

Nah, don't worry. I have a few friends at the NSA who owe me a favour and I'll ask the to install a backup of the internet (including the blockchain) from November 2013.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: