Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:07:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Mt Gox the front for a attack on bitcoin stability?  (Read 1153 times)
McDonaldTrump (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:23:00 AM

The depth of "incompetence" that Mt Gox has perpetrated is disturbing.
They had an extremely profitable business model, with expert consultants.
Why would they allow it to fall apart?

Is it possible that they are functioning as a front for a covert attack on the bitcoin economy?
Any organized attack would most likely focus on the exchanges and would by nature have to be covert.
It's hard to imagine a planned attack being any more damaging.

How can the bitcoin community decouple it's reliance on centralized exchanges and associated vulnerabilities?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:28:00 AM

How can the bitcoin community decouple it's reliance on centralized exchanges and associated vulnerabilities?

It's going to take time.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:51:11 AM

i don't see centralized as a problem by itself, if we had at least one trustable exchange in a bureaucracy-free country it would be enough. But we don't have any really trustable one. BTC has a trust problem that will not allow it to grow.
balanghai

Merit: 253

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:59:33 AM

Well one of alleviation is to try to deal locally. Like the Chinese people exchanging BTCs in their locals. If we could somehow use localbitcoins.com with no limit or arbitration/espionage then BTC would flourish more. \
Somehow it's just hard to move 1BTC or higher in local setting. So maybe do it in small and daily chunks? Well I don't know.

Just a thought on exchanges, they could be doing some maneuver but they cannot grab all the BTCs. It would be foolish to buy the majority of the coins and not move it. Somehow this reminds me of a movie "The taking of Pelham 123" They seized a train in the subway and made the stock market and $ plunge with the scenario they made. And it was shown in the latter part of the movie that the perpetrator had owned Gold shares and thus very happy of the outcome.

Just a random rumbling.  Grin
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:04:25 AM

i don't see centralized as a problem by itself, if we had at least one trustable exchange in a bureaucracy-free country it would be enough. But we don't have any really trustable one. BTC has a trust problem that will not allow it to grow.

Where is this "bureaucracy-free country"?

Perhaps more than a few members here would consider making a move...

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
DynamicDK

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:46:44 AM

A lot of countries that would be 3rd world countries, but are not because of tourism \ expatriates living there.

http://coinbrief.net/
Digital Currency news, mining calculators, forums, and more
BTC:  1Bz95D1Jm4qmm2fTWtK3fF35FnfX4NKiyt
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:48:15 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=460343

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:53:16 AM

They have an impressive track record for making huge balls ups.

If they had been handed the reins for a total destruction of Bitcoin it would now be around $75,000.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:55:08 AM

If they had been handed the reins for a total destruction of Bitcoin it would now be around $75,000.

This is the funniest thing I've heard all day! Wow.

Wow! LOL.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
bananas

Merit: 257

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:14:55 AM

http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

Banking is just part of the equation, those small countries known as fiscal paradises would be best suited for a bitcoin exchange.
ZooKeeper74

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:17:14 AM

A ponzi can be a profitable business model. Do ponzis last forever?  No goxxin way.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: