Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:36:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is selling BTC for $100 on Gox and why?  (Read 2111 times)
thelema93 (OP)

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:44:02 AM

Can someone explain to me why anyone would be selling their bitcoins for $100 on Gox?
I don't understand how there can be so many people doing that to cause the price drop on Gox.
Considering that is not much real evidence to say that they are going bust or something - is this really caused just by people panic selling? Or is something else going on.

Serious answers only please.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:54:15 AM

Lemmings.

Their standard answer is "We sell as everybody sell".

The most ridiculous thing is that there are equal chances to lose both cash and BTC Smiley
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 02:55:49 AM

Can someone explain to me why anyone would be selling their bitcoins for $100 on Gox?
I don't understand how there can be so many people doing that to cause the price drop on Gox.
Considering that is not much real evidence to say that they are going bust or something - is this really caused just by people panic selling? Or is something else going on.

the ones who should not be there on MTgox....
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:03:05 AM

With all the shit going on, would you feel more comfortable with BTC in Gox or fiat in Gox?

You can take legal action if they mishandle one of those two things  Tongue

I think people are selling off their coins while they can for fear that Gox goes under with whatever they have in their accounts. At least with dollars there's a chance for recovery. You have to remember that the vast majority of Bitcoin owners have a collection of coins in the single digits. A lot of people with a few coins each man... it adds up.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:07:57 AM

Perhaps Goxbot's are selling fake volume to drive down the price in order to squeeze real BTC out of its customers which Karpeles can then arbitrage on Bitstamp. This can't possibly be the case though as you personally came on here and assured us that everything was fine with Gox and that Karpeles was on the level!

This means that it simply must be the market telling us that Gox is insolvent, that nobody is going to get paid out, and the only chance anyone has of scraping anything from the whole sorry affair is via a lawsuit action or as debtors in bankcruptcy, and for that, only USD talks.....but this can't be the case either as you have been informing everyone for the past two weeks that everything would turn out great!

hmmm... will just have to remain one big fucking mystery then won't it.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
taiping

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:08:52 AM

It's a complete mystery to me as well. I presume they think it's better to hold MtGoxFiat rather than MtGoxBTC, but if MtGox goes bankrupt I don't think it would matter much.
I am steadily buying MtGoxBTC with my stuck MtGoxUSD (failure of MtGox to remit funds) and will continue to do so until I'm out of cash.
I've already written off the value completely in my accounts, so if (a big IF) MtGox ever recovers I will get a windfall.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:15:56 AM

It's a complete mystery to me as well. I presume they think it's better to hold MtGoxFiat rather than MtGoxBTC, but if MtGox goes bankrupt I don't think it would matter much.

That's true.  Exchanging a commodity you can't withdraw for a currency you can't withdraw seems like a foolish thing to do.  The only reason I can think of for dumping bitcoins and getting money, any money, for them is in a bankruptcy court a judge is likely to recognise value in dollars whilst the same may not be true in bitcoins.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:19:29 AM

One possibility is that the attackers weren't able to get the Bitcoins from their last round of theft off the exchange before MtGox shut down.  If MtGox hasn't yet removed those Bitcoins from their account they likely know they are going to lose the coins anyways so why not create a little chaos.  Plus if they can drive the exchange rate on other exchanges down (maybe not to $100 but down some amount) and buy Bitcoins cheaper on other exchanges.

Of course MtGox could have avoided all this by halting trading when they halted withdraws.
thelema93 (OP)

Activity: 339

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:41:51 AM

Thank god I set "MatTheCat" to ignore so I don't have to read any more of his whining garbage.

Thanks for the useful comments everyone else!

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:44:56 AM

Lemmings are selling, and people who don't know about the Twinkiegloss fund   Cheesy

Lemmings.

Their standard answer is "We sell as everybody sell".

The most ridiculous thing is that there are equal chances to lose both cash and BTC Smiley

pist0la

Activity: 54

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 04:32:16 AM

Holy shart it's a dump and pump!
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 04:45:47 AM

Haha this is absolutely WILD. I can guarantee you that absolutely nobody in the entire world correctly predicted this situation a couple months ago - $550 on Stamp and $100 on Gox. In a general sense they may have but come on this is novel and exciting. Bitcoin has this great way of fucking with what everybody expects it to do in a really cruel and bizarre way

And I love it!  Grin Grin Grin can't wait to see what happens next (and please, don't any of you fuckers say "be careful what you wish for" :-P )
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 04:47:57 AM

Haha this is absolutely WILD. I can guarantee you that absolutely nobody in the entire world correctly predicted this situation a couple months ago - $550 on Stamp and $100 on Gox. In a general sense they may have but come on this is novel and exciting. Bitcoin has this great way of fucking with what everybody expects it to do in a really cruel and bizarre way

And I love it!  Grin Grin Grin can't wait to see what happens next (and please, don't any of you fuckers say "be careful what you wish for" :-P )

I was just thinking this earlier. Truth is indeed stranger than fiction Cool
Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 04:55:52 AM

With all the shit going on, would you feel more comfortable with BTC in Gox or fiat in Gox?

I think people are selling off their coins while they can for fear that Gox goes under with whatever they have in their accounts. At least with dollars there's a chance for recovery. You have to remember that the vast majority of Bitcoin owners have a collection of coins in the single digits. A lot of people with a few coins each man... it adds up.
I've heard this, but are you really 5.5 times more comfortable with GoxUSD than GoxBTC? You have to think that the odds of Gox failing and eventually paying back USD deposits is over 5.5 times the odds of them allowing BTC withdrawals again. The numbers just don't make sense to me, as I explained here.

If I had stuck funds, I'd totally be long GoxBTC at these prices. Just a 5% chance they allow BTC withdrawals likely has a much better EV than any liquidation scenario at 100 GoxUSD/BTC.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 04:59:17 AM

Be humble!
Grinners

Activity: 35

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:59:39 AM

To clarify, it doesn't take a lot of sellers to drop the price to $100, it only takes 1, and no buyer than is willing to buy >$100.
rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:00:49 AM

Lemmings.

Pretty much this, which makes the gox price rather silly.
CalibrataBG

Activity: 38

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:39:25 AM

I have both fiat and coin in gox. I froze all my actions there. Don't know what to do. Will just sit this one out until I have clarity on things.
Not going to sell for 100$ ... but don't want to buy either. Truth is I want out of there both with coin and fiat.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:44:33 AM

I've heard this, but are you really 5.5 times more comfortable with GoxUSD than GoxBTC? You have to think that the odds of Gox failing and eventually paying back USD deposits is over 5.5 times the odds of them allowing BTC withdrawals again. The numbers just don't make sense to me, as I explained here.

If I had stuck funds, I'd totally be long GoxBTC at these prices. Just a 5% chance they allow BTC withdrawals likely has a much better EV than any liquidation scenario at 100 GoxUSD/BTC.

Fear brings our irrationality in people.. its why as a race we are utter morons. Its in our dna.
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:48:48 AM

Its better than nothing! Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: