Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:28:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your thoughts on dogecoin (technically) being unlimited?  (Read 1140 times)
trashymonkey (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 05:22:51 AM

I know that bitcoins will cap at something like 21,000,000 and then there will be no more created/mined. Dogecoin apparently can be mined forever. At first I thought this was a bad thing, but then I read about how this is actually a good thing over on reddit (reddit.com/r/dogecoin). Obviously the argument was biased, but it just seems like the way dogecoin is doing it is actually better. So anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 06:22:06 AM

I don't think dogecoin is intended to be thought about. That requires brain power.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:18:45 AM

dogecoin will crash and burn .

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
Thylacine

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:31:14 AM

Yeah but the video on the dogecoin site was awesome.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 10:51:30 AM

Dogecoin already surpassed BTC in transaction volume. It's destined to be the actual internet money, BTC is internet gold for elitist nerds. In real life no one cares about BTC but i've seen a lot of people being aware of Doge. It's only begining now with the tipdoge app for Facebook, it will go even more viral.
Small increase yearly has no negatives. In fact it helps it to become a currency rather than a store of value.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:15:51 AM

I know that bitcoins will cap at something like 21,000,000 and then there will be no more created/mined. Dogecoin apparently can be mined forever. At first I thought this was a bad thing, but then I read about how this is actually a good thing over on reddit (reddit.com/r/dogecoin). Obviously the argument was biased, but it just seems like the way dogecoin is doing it is actually better. So anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

People have a choice:
1. Store value in something that will not lose value through inflation each year
Or
2. Store value in something that looses value every year through inflation

What would most smart people pick? Lose 50%+ of their value every ten years or not?

(And that is just the stored value portion.)

Dogecoin has a meme, that is cute, but it's inflation is a negative.
giveBTCpls

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 11:33:06 AM

People have a choice:
1. Store value in something that will not lose value through inflation each year
Or
2. Store value in something that looses value every year through inflation

What would most smart people pick? Lose 50%+ of their value every ten years or not?

(And that is just the stored value portion.)

Dogecoin has a meme, that is cute, but it's inflation is a negative.

Thats why no one will use BTC to buy stuff regularly. Do you see people using gold to buy stuff regularly?
BTC has turned into an small elite niche, it will never be global.

OlliBrandt80

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:09:16 PM

It's interestiong view on dogecoin as 'internet money' and bitcoin as 'internet gold' (or tulps as some people compare it with tulps). If it is so than it's actually ok for dogecoin to be mined forever

Bitcoin rules!
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 12:22:56 PM

Dogecoin already surpassed BTC in transaction volume. It's destined to be the actual internet money, BTC is internet gold for elitist nerds. In real life no one cares about BTC but i've seen a lot of people being aware of Doge. It's only begining now with the tipdoge app for Facebook, it will go even more viral.
Small increase yearly has no negatives. In fact it helps it to become a currency rather than a store of value.

lol go back to /r/dogecoin , no one believes your dogecoin clonecoin crap here.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
giveBTCpls

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:25:12 PM

lol go back to /r/dogecoin , no one believes your dogecoin clonecoin crap here.

Yeah, too bad the reddit is yet another proof this is growing exponentially. Before the year ends the community will be bigger than Bitcoin. Deal with them facts.

Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3428
Merit: 4345

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:53:53 PM

In real life no one cares about BTC but i've seen a lot of people being aware of Doge.

So you own name is; giveBTCpls but when i read youre post....man you are a big noob with a totaly useless statement.

When i look at dogecoin logo i think; its a starting kit for kids under 15 before they enter the real market of Bitcoin.
de3mka

Activity: 102
Merit: 13

How do I change an avatar?

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:25:46 PM

In real life no one cares about BTC but i've seen a lot of people being aware of Doge.

So you own name is; giveBTCpls but when i read youre post....man you are a big noob with a totaly useless statement.

When i look at dogecoin logo i think; its a starting kit for kids under 15 before they enter the real entire market of Bitcoin cryptocurrencies.

FTFY.

But for sure, this forum is Bitcoin oriented, so why do people expect having positive reactions about other coins?

BTC: 16o89714EG9WGyi39NxifutFYk55QkxqQK
MelodyRowell

Activity: 394

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:50:24 PM

Actually I like the way dogecoin being unlimited, it prevents 51% attack..
giveBTCpls

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:49:56 PM

When i look at dogecoin logo i think; its a starting kit for kids under 15 before they enter the real market of Bitcoin.

Except BTC aspires to be a world currency and 99% of people will think it's too elitist just like it happens now, whereas Dogecoin is user friendly. No one will buy microtransaction tier payments (most of the payments worldwide) with BTC. Deal with the facts.

mgburks77

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:51:32 PM

good call

I concur
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:52:50 PM

Actually I like the way dogecoin being unlimited, it prevents 51% attack..

It does nothing of the sort.  This is talking about mining that continues to have block subsidies forever.

See:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses#Attacker_has_a_lot_of_computing_power
mgburks77

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:56:24 PM

The fact is "mining" is just wasting computer power and electricity so for a digital currency to be viable on a large scale that must be changed. Wide scale adoption would simply waste far too many resources.

That is an existential issue for any math based currency
mgburks77

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 03:59:44 PM

Also, you need enough inflation to create liquidity, if you want to use a unit of account as a currency.

hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 04:02:10 PM

Also, you need enough inflation to create liquidity, if you want to use a unit of account as a currency.

agreed fully
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: