Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:24:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reminder: Mt Gox owns the Bitcoin trademark  (Read 24861 times)
Musent

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:24:14 PM

It will go to highest bidder and hopefully be restored. MtGox is on its last leg and should have been gone a couple years ago. Sadly, it stayed around.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:26:30 PM

It will go to highest bidder and hopefully be restored. MtGox is on its last leg and should have been gone a couple years ago. Sadly, it stayed around.
I doubt the trademark bitcoin is valid, but if it is valid, Bitcoin Foundation should buy it.
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2068

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:31:35 PM

Bitcoin is a public property. It can't be trademarked by anybody.
(Public = All the people in the world)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:10:14 PM

Bitcoin is a public property. It can't be trademarked by anybody.
(Public = All the people in the world)

Just have Theymos buy it  Grin

Sorry couldn't help but point that out we are upgrading the forum we could use a nice trademark logo  Cool

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
chrocht

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 09:41:10 PM

Is is funny that somebody is still trying to enforce this trademark. I've registered domain with bitcoin in name two days ago and domain registrator was not able to register it automatically and they explicitely asked me for agree with this:

TRADEMARK NOTICE

You have received this Trademark Notice because you have applied for a domain name which matches at least one
trademark record submitted to the Trademark Clearinghouse.

You may or may not be entitled to register the domain name depending on your intended use and whether it is the same
or significantly overlaps with the trademarks listed below. Your rights to register this domain name may or may not be
protected as noncommercial use or “fair use” by the laws of your country.

Please read the trademark information below carefully, including the trademarks, jurisdictions, and goods and service
for which the trademarks are registered. Please be aware that not all jurisdictions review trademark applications
closely, so some of the trademark information below may exist in a national or regional registry which does not
conduct a thorough or substantive review of trademark rights prior to registration.

If you have questions, you may want to consult an attorney or legal expert on trademarks and intellectual property for
guidance.

If you continue with this registration, you represent that, you have received and you understand this notice and to
the best of your knowledge, your registration and use of the requested domain name will not infringe on the trademark
rights listed below.

The following 1 Trademarks are listed in the Trademark Clearinghouse:
1.    Mark:    BITCOIN
    Jurisdiction:    Japan
    Goods:    第9類 電子商取引の分野で用いるコンピュータープログラ ム、電子計算機用ブログラム、 電子応用機械器具、電
気通信機械 器具 第 35類 広告、市場調査、商品の販売に関する情報の提供(インターネットに よるものを含む)、商品に広告
に関する情報の提 供(インターネットによる ものを含む)、電子商取引における商品の売買契約の媒介、電子商取引に係る 事業
の運業、管理。 第36 類 預金の受入れ(債券の発行により代える場合 を含む。)及 び定期積金の受入れ,資金の貸付け及び手
形の割引,内国 為替 取引, 債務の保証及び手形の引受け,有価証券の貸付 け,金銭債権の取得及 び譲渡,有価証券・貴金属そ
の他の 物品の保護預かり,両替, 金融先物取引 の受託,金銭・有 価証券・金銭債権・動産・土地若しくはその定着物又は地 上
権若しくは土地の賃借権の信託の引受 け,債券の募集の 受託,外国為替取 引,信用状に関する業務,信用購入あっ せん,前払式
証票の発行,ガス料金 又は電気料金の徴収 の 代行,商品代金の徴収の代行, 有価証券の売買,有価 証券 指数等先物取引, 有価
証券オプション取引, 外国市場証券 先物取引, 有価証券の売買・有価証券指数等先物取引・有 価証券オプション取引及び外 国市
場証券先物取引の媒介・ 取次ぎ又は代理,有価証券 市場における有価証 券の売買取 引・有価証券指数等先物取引及び有価証券オ
プション取引 の委託 の媒介・取次ぎ又は代理,外国有価 証券市場におけ る有価証券の売買取引及 び外国市場証券先物取引の委
託の 媒介・取次ぎ又は代理,有価証券先渡取 引・有価証券店頭 指数等先渡取引・有価証券店頭オプション取引若しくは有 価証券
店頭指数等スワップ取引又はこれらの取引の媒介・ 取次ぎ若しくは 代 理, 有価証券等精算取次ぎ, 有価証券の 引受け,有価証券
の売出し,有価証 券の募集又は売出しの 取扱い,株式市況に関する情報 の提供,商品市場にお ける 先物取引の受託,生命保険
契約の締結の媒介,生命保険の 引受け,損害 保険契約の締結の代理,損害保険 に係る損害 の査定,損害保険の引受け,保 険料
率の算出,建物の管理 ,建物の貸借の代理又は媒介,建物の貸与,建物 の売買, 建 物の売買の代理又は媒介,建物又は土地の鑑
定評価,土 地の管 理,土地の貸借の代理又は媒介,土地の貸与,土地 の売買,土地の売 買の代 理又は媒介,建物又は土地の情
報 の提供,骨董品の評価,美術品の評価,宝 玉の評価,中古 自動車の評価,企業の信用に関す る調査,税務相談,税務 代理,
慈善のための募金 第38類 電気通信、電気通信システム又はデータ通 信システムを介する電子商取 引のための電気通信。 第
42類 電子商取引に おける第三者に対するオンラインによるユーザーの本人確認、証明、電子商取 引に用い るコンピュータープ
ログラムの設計、作成又保守、電子商取引のた め検索エンジンの提供、通信回線を介した電子商取引の利用者の確 証、電子 商取
引のおける利用者を確証するための電子計算機用プログラム(ソフトウェ ア)の設計、作成又は保守、電子商取引に関す る情報に
アクセスして情報の 検索、入手ができるようにしたコンピューターデータベースのアクセスタイム の賃貸、電子商取引に用い る
電子計算機用プログラムの提供、電子商取引の ためのインターネットウェブサイトの設計、作成又は保守。
    Class of Goods and Services:
Scientific, nautical, surveying, photographic, cinematographic, optical, weighing, measuring, signalling, checking
(supervision), life-saving and teaching apparatus and instruments; apparatus and instruments for conducting,
switching, transforming, accumulating, regulating or controlling electricity; apparatus for recording, transmission or
reproduction of sound or images; magnetic data carriers, recording discs; compact discs, DVDs and other digital
recording media; mechanisms for coin-operated apparatus; cash registers, calculating machines, data processing
equipment, computers; computer software; fire-extinguishing apparatus.
    TM Registrant:    Tibanne K.K.
Array, Tokyo, 150-0002, JP
mark@tibanne.com

For more information concerning the records included in this notice, see http://claims.clearinghouse.org

I was little surrprised by this but when i saw the e-mail address of trademark holder I started to laugh and replied that I agree with this shit. Just hope that japanese part of it is not something sinister :-)

quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 09:54:22 PM

Well, I guess they'll have to sell it in bankruptcy.  Let's hope a benevolent entity purchases it though.

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:15:34 AM

Well, I guess they'll have to sell it in bankruptcy.  Let's hope a benevolent entity purchases it though.

Yes, could be a somewhat valuable asset to seize if they are liquidated.
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:01:50 AM

Well, I guess they'll have to sell it in bankruptcy.  Let's hope a benevolent entity purchases it though.

In worst case, a trademark troll could buy this trademark and sue major bitcoin sites to pay license fee over using bitcoin.
I doubt this will happen as bitcoin is generic by now, but you never now as the case of SSL shows:
A patent troll bought the patent of SSL and has been suing hundreds of American companies over using SSL (HTTPS) and demanding them to pay heavy license fees, Newegg.com was the last victim.

source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/11/jury-newegg-infringes-spangenberg-patent-must-pay-2-3-million/
grahvity

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 04:45:04 AM

Under the Crytocurrency Consitution, Crypto trademarks cannot be claimed by any individual or entity.

I know of the Cryptocurrency King, the cryptocurrency universe, and the cryptocurrency economy but I never heard of the Cryptocurrency Constitution?

I made it about a year ago, just search it, haven't taken the draft copy off, but no one suggested changes so its the final copy now

have got a few digital copy's plus a framed one on the wall like it came out of an old Spanish galleon Smiley

on top of this I'm planning the Cryptocurrency Banking act though that's going to be some piece of work and will take a few months yet

I don't recognize your constitution! Grin
Sometimes I don't recognize my own.  Cry

COINIGYProfessional Tools For Cryptocurrency Traders ◾️ The Rational Investor’s School For Trader Development
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:53:40 AM

i may be wrong, but i don't think he can claim it even if already registered 'cause it was already a very well known brand. It is like registering the word internet in 1992.

Not in Japan.  Japan has a first to file law not a first to use law.  I know this cause some Japanese guy filed my trademark and I had to buy it off him
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 03:33:04 AM

Well, I guess they'll have to sell it in bankruptcy.  Let's hope a benevolent entity purchases it though.

In worst case, a trademark troll could buy this trademark and sue major bitcoin sites to pay license fee over using bitcoin.
I doubt this will happen as bitcoin is generic by now, but you never now as the case of SSL shows:
A patent troll bought the patent of SSL and has been suing hundreds of American companies over using SSL (HTTPS) and demanding them to pay heavy license fees, Newegg.com was the last victim.

source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/11/jury-newegg-infringes-spangenberg-patent-must-pay-2-3-million/

Not much surprises me anymore.
That is a shock....Oh nooooooo.

EDIT: It's not just SSL, but SSL combined with combined with the RC4 cipher....

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:43:58 AM

The problem would probably not be for established vendors as much as it would be for new upcoming companies who would be targeted with the patent suits assuming they do not know anything about the law etc and decide to arrange an agreement with them.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:00:51 PM

That really is bad, they should have no right to the bitcoin logo.  Then we should create a new one.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: