Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:31:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Portland bitcoin users?  (Read 5987 times)
meighty

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 11:51:23 PM

Wow, lots of folk from Portland. I myself am from Bend.

Professional computer geek. My buddy and I found out about bitcoins about a week ago or so. Don't have the hardware for mining. Still super interested in the concept though.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ryepdx (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 11:58:34 PM

Awesome. Nice to meet you!  Smiley
niemivh

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 02:17:01 AM

Wondering if anyone would care to buy (with BTC of course) some Bitcoin Business cards that I'm going to make and bring to our next PDX Bitcoin meeting?

Great way to spread the word about BTC.  If there is enough posts I'll order a 1000 cards, and sell them at cost (BTC to USD).  By the time we meet up and get them out to people hopefully the client will be in better shape and be more user friendly.

Tongue

Please PM me if you are interested in buying some business cards for BTC.  I'll post the design here if I get a few people who are interested in the Portland area.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
niemivh

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 03:30:50 AM

Next meeting is on the 6th of July.

http://pdxbitcoinjamboree.eventbrite.com/

Cheesy

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
FuzzyCoins

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 03:35:03 AM

Here in Portland as well. If I am in town I would be happy to join a meet up.
osmosis

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:03:31 AM

What merchants in the Portland are are a good target to see if they will accept bitcoin? I have started talking to the guys at Webbers Crossing diner in the SW area. They are considering it. It may help if some other customers asked about bitcoins. Could be interesting to be the first merchant in Portland to accept bitcoin.

osmosis
osmosis

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 07:52:31 AM
Last edit: August 25, 2014, 11:11:54 PM by osmosis

indio007

Activity: 224

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 08:48:57 AM

Damn i wish I was in Portland.
osmosis

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 04:53:20 AM

Feel free to vote this up on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/k15s8/portland_digital_cash_bitcoin_meetup_on_sept_14th/
MrGaSp

Activity: 418
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 05:10:49 AM

I am from around Portland, so its not far =P
Dybbuk

Activity: 16

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 06:22:00 PM

I've had to miss the last few meetups.  Can we organize another?
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 07:21:23 AM

watching...

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
osmosis

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 04:19:26 AM

I've had to miss the last few meetups.  Can we organize another?

Sure, what date do you want to suggest. Last last one was only a few people. We also need to know what part of town is best for everyone so that the most people can show up.

BTW...I have been talking to a farm just outside of Portland, and they are interested in selling the meat and milk they have for bitcoins. Let me know if you are interested.

PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 06:43:49 PM

Any merchants, food trucks, etc in Portland area that accept bitcoins? An actual fixed location with a bitcoins accepted here sign?

osmosis

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 08:02:17 PM

Any merchants, food trucks, etc in Portland area that accept bitcoins? An actual fixed location with a bitcoins accepted here sign?

msg me if you want to coordinate efforts to getting Portland merchants on board. I have some leads.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 08:45:56 PM

msg me if you want to coordinate efforts to getting Portland merchants on board. I have some leads.

And make sure to mention to the merchants about Portland100, a group consisting of no less than 100 Bitcoin users who've pledge to spend Bitcoin at establishments that accept Bitcoin. Now, who in Portland is willing to start and maintain such a list?
osmosis

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 08:54:18 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2014, 11:11:15 PM by osmosis

PrintCoins

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 12:09:46 AM

I think instead just asking merchants to accept it, a good idea would be to ask them to accept it, and come by on a regular basis offering to buy the bitcoins off of them for cash. If bitcoin exchangers were stopping by the food carts willing to take bitcoins off of merchants, then merchants would have no qualms about taking the coins.

So here is how I would pitch it if I were a portland local (I am in Beaverton, so I am not in portland enough to do it)

* Read
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_accept_Bitcoin,_for_small_businesses
and create a sign from the image on that page

* Stop by a merchant and ask if they have an android phone. I might move on if they don't, because I don't know a better handheld solution than Bitcoin Wallet for android, but feel free to chime in iphone users.

* Give a little pitch for Bitcoin, but try not to get too technical. Basically, state it is a type of money that can be transferred via their smartphone. See if they will install the software on their phone, and give them a bitcoin (wait till they have the full blockchain first... wait times are embarrassing). Try to act out a simulation with them so they can work out the kinks with you.

* Pull out your little sign, and ask them if they would run an experiment with it up for a little while. Give them your phone number and email, and be willing to act as tech support.

* Come by once in a while and collect bitcoins from them for cash. They need to feel that they can rely on this. If you feel you can make a little profit, go for it, but don't undermine the cause.

* Set up additional merchants, and make your rounds once a week. Create a web page or just a text document listing all of the locations in town that accept it, and print this out. See if the merchant will also have this next to their sign (after they are established). This can be a handy directory that will make consumers realize how usable this currency is.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 12:20:16 AM

I think instead just asking merchants to accept it, a good idea would be to ask them to accept it, and come by on a regular basis offering to buy the bitcoins off of them for cash. If bitcoin exchangers were stopping by the food carts willing to take bitcoins off of merchants, then merchants would have no qualms about taking the coins.

So here is how I would pitch it if I were a portland local (I am in Beaverton, so I am not in portland enough to do it)

* Read
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_accept_Bitcoin,_for_small_businesses
and create a sign from the image on that page

* Stop by a merchant and ask if they have an android phone. I might move on if they don't, because I don't know a better handheld solution than Bitcoin Wallet for android, but feel free to chime in iphone users.

* Give a little pitch for Bitcoin, but try not to get too technical. Basically, state it is a type of money that can be transferred via their smartphone. See if they will install the software on their phone, and give them a bitcoin (wait till they have the full blockchain first... wait times are embarrassing). Try to act out a simulation with them so they can work out the kinks with you.

* Pull out your little sign, and ask them if they would run an experiment with it up for a little while. Give them your phone number and email, and be willing to act as tech support.

* Come by once in a while and collect bitcoins from them for cash. They need to feel that they can rely on this. If you feel you can make a little profit, go for it, but don't undermine the cause.

* Set up additional merchants, and make your rounds once a week. Create a web page or just a text document listing all of the locations in town that accept it, and print this out. See if the merchant will also have this next to their sign (after they are established). This can be a handy directory that will make consumers realize how usable this currency is.

So simple, an SA troll caveman can dot it. Great bullet points. Remember, folks, this will work in any city. Whether is be Portland100, LA100 or Houston100, having a core user base would add credence to the approach, thereby improving the success rate.
PrintCoins

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 12:46:31 AM

I am continuing this discussion (and added bullets) on this thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53401.0
As I realized it is not very particular to Portland. I just think a lot about all those food carts, and how easy it would be to go down the line and convert them all. Especially if one does it and gets business because of it.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: