Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:54:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How would online Bitcoin commerce work?  (Read 2512 times)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 10:03:11 AM

Needs webapp/json integration, and a bundle with FOSS e-commerce software.  Cool
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 10:38:45 AM

I have proposed BitcoinRetail a PHP open source project that is influenced heavily on the community... Go here for more details or to put in your two cents what a bitcoin store needs: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48041.msg572344#new
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 02:46:35 PM

I have proposed BitcoinRetail a PHP open source project that is influenced heavily on the community... Go here for more details or to put in your two cents what a bitcoin store needs: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48041.msg572344#new
PHP? I wouldn't use that for new projects sorry if that is not very constructive.
Of course there will be solutions in a broad spectrum of languages in the future assuming success, so it doesn't really matter (go for it)
Giraffe.BTC (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 10:40:33 PM

Thanks for spamming the thread with a link to a thread where you link to an empty GitHub page you made telling other people how you want them to code your project for you, but how does this address any of the security / confidence issues that have been raised?

Donation address:  none, because I'm not a goddamn hobo.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 07:54:20 AM

Because people that are looking for alternative methods on how online bit coin commerce would work they can send some suggestions for the new project?
and I'm lead coder although I'd like to keep my influences out of it.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 11:01:14 AM

IANAL but I think you can use ordinary civil law to enforce the contract made when you have a situation of "You offer - I accept" as long as you have evidence of:

1.   Offer is made by a specified individual of a specified item at a given price.
2.   Offer is accepted by a specified person and payment is made.

Think about what is in the typical bitcoin uri.
Say I want to buy a copy of Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson from Bitcoin Books and they give me a uri offer of:

bitcoin:15ZLe7GCAfdTTMMkbm38KTtahq9y549rB2?amount=3.25&label=Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson

The only thing missing (for later court action) is the identity of the person making the offer.

You could do this in a couple of ways:
o Bitcoin Books offers a https service that validates the bitcoin URI is one of theirs (also prevents man-in-the-middle attacks)
o They sign the URI with a "trusted" private key and you check it against a public key.

If they failed to deliver (in the UK) you go to Small Claims court and say:

"Bitcoin Books offered my a copy of Cryptonomicon for 3.25 BTC.   Here's the proof they made the offer.  I paid.   Here's the blockchain proof.   They never delivered.   I want my money back".

No different to a million other non-bitcoin claims.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 01:51:38 PM

No different to a million other non-bitcoin claims.
In theory yes.
But it could be that curts aren't going to be specifically forthcoming, or honest as the status of bitcoin and dismiss it like: "Don't come to us with claims about your playmoney..'

I'm unsure about whenever such action would be legal, but even so it doesn't mean that the first few cases are dismissed even illegally.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: