Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:45:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia more efficient to mine scrypt?  (Read 4970 times)
waltermot321

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:58:43 PM

Anybody tried the new nvidia gpu?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
igroock

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:15:47 AM

I fail to see the advantages of these cards, no matter which way you slice it.

You need 3x the number of motherboards, memory, hard drives, power supplies and all other supplies to match 4x 280x cards. You need at least 11 of the 750ti cards to do so. 11x 60watt = 660 + 3 motherboards and other components (910w total if you want to be conservative).

VS.

1 motherboard and all other components + 4x 280x cards = WAY cheaper to put together, and draws 1125w of power BEFORE undervolting. Extra power draw is negligible.

PLEASE explain to me why anyone sane enough would bother with low end NVidia cards?
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:19:08 AM

High end Nvidia Maxwell cards will be released during the second half of this way by which time scrypt ASICs will be starting to show up.
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 12:25:24 PM

is realy 4x 280X cards uses only 1120W, seems not very realistic.
As my calculations show, these nvidia cards are 2x times more efficient thant amd curently.
goebat

Activity: 89

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 05:08:28 PM

High end Nvidia Maxwell cards will be released during the second half of this way by which time scrypt ASICs will be starting to show up.

Scrypt ASICs are already starting to show up: http://hashra.com/

My Shapeways shop
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
FREE BTC every hour           |          More FREE BTC           |          Trade GH/s and mine BTC in the cloud           |          Scrypt cloud mining          |          Bitcoin Pyramid          |
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 05:13:49 PM

I fail to see the advantages of these cards, no matter which way you slice it.

You need 3x the number of motherboards, memory, hard drives, power supplies and all other supplies to match 4x 280x cards. You need at least 11 of the 750ti cards to do so. 11x 60watt = 660 + 3 motherboards and other components (910w total if you want to be conservative).

VS.

1 motherboard and all other components + 4x 280x cards = WAY cheaper to put together, and draws 1125w of power BEFORE undervolting. Extra power draw is negligible.

PLEASE explain to me why anyone sane enough would bother with low end NVidia cards?

we are not talking about setting up a rig with 750Ti. we are discussing the possibilities when high-eng cards with Maxwell architecture (the same that 750Ti uses) are released by NVIDIA, the advantage will be on NVIDIA side, because the cards will have hashing power same or greater than amd and will be much more power-efficient.
j0achim

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 01:33:44 AM

I'm actually seriously considering building a huge setup consisting of 750Ti's for me the profit margin is the price i pay for electricity, and im already pulling 6kw.

I read somewhere that cudaMiner has some trouble running on 1x -> 16x risers, are there any truth to this? (Im looking at 5x or 6x these cards in each of my rigs but before i actually buy a ton of these cards id love to hear from someone who either know or run multiple nVidia cards on risers)
rahrahrah

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:35:28 PM

I'm actually seriously considering building a huge setup consisting of 750Ti's for me the profit margin is the price i pay for electricity, and im already pulling 6kw.

I read somewhere that cudaMiner has some trouble running on 1x -> 16x risers, are there any truth to this? (Im looking at 5x or 6x these cards in each of my rigs but before i actually buy a ton of these cards id love to hear from someone who either know or run multiple nVidia cards on risers)

I too would like an answer on this if anyone knows. Powered / non powered risers? Some 750 Ti cards have additional power supplies, so there are many variations on how you can set this up...

VTC: VxNWL9jDRvEcCT48vqQkLxckREUafYowVu
SMC: SYLjkCM63iJyYpoz14dJcq27tEfw6r9w6m
envy2010

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

To get more than 2x 750 Ti on one motherboard, you will need powered risers since they draw all the power through the PCIe slot.
roy7

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:33:19 PM

To get more than 2x 750 Ti on one motherboard, you will need powered risers since they draw all the power through the PCIe slot.

Gigabyte makes a 750 Ti with a 6 pin power adapter. No idea how much power it will draw from it vs the PCIe if connected.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 12:09:33 AM

is realy 4x 280X cards uses only 1120W, seems not very realistic.
As my calculations show, these nvidia cards are 2x times more efficient thant amd curently.
Could you present your calculations?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
j0achim

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 08:47:10 PM

I have written a overview where i calculate most common GFX cards used for mining as of now CoinRamble.com - GRAPHICS CARD COMPARISON OVERVIEW i compare cards against each-other and some graphs to visualize it all.

e.g

http://coinramble.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/khs-per-kw.png

and a real world scenario:
http://coinramble.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/six-card.png
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: