Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:16:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake volume in exchanges  (Read 1100 times)
Drobek

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 07:55:08 PM

Sometimes it could be the work of some devs of certain tokens. I've seen it before. They try to get their tokens rank top 5 by volume so that traders with huge amount can trade them because there's liquidity.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheBitcoinBadger10

Activity: 261
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 07:58:38 PM

"I still hope in the future there will come something
like changelly only better and faster so everyone can
trade directly from their wallet.
"
macartem

Activity: 676
Merit: 319

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 07:59:20 PM

Found an interesting article in which one guy did some datamining on some popular exchanges and their volumes:

https://medium.com/@sylvainartplayribes/chasing-fake-volume-a-crypto-plague-ea1a3c1e0b5e

Apparently a few of these giants are falsifying their volumes. Maybe because a higher market cap would make people think it's a more trustworthy exchange? I don't know if it's really worth going through all of that effort.

Would this have a major effect on the prices? I know we used to see huge differences in prices in the past, but now you won't see much more than a few percent here and there between exchanges.

Yes, I also noticed that some exchanges add volumes. But I thought it was the admin tokens pay them for it  Huh...
unorowest

Activity: 50
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 08:02:44 PM

This is really an emerging issue in cryptocurrency market, It really has to be tackled, and I think setting up a regulatory agency is one way of doing that. Another disturbing issue is bots manipulating prices, all these have to be regulated.
cryptocamacho4785

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 08:10:36 PM

"I used a zero fee exchange before and they usually have a higher
withdrawal limit. It can also be an interesting way to get more users and
more trades happening. If I look at somewhere like bitstamp which has a
fee and the ones that don't it is clear to see why volume increases
Thank you for sharing.
"
FXTradingPro

Activity: 100

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2018, 08:15:32 PM

Found an interesting article in which one guy did some datamining on some popular exchanges and their volumes:

https://medium.com/@sylvainartplayribes/chasing-fake-volume-a-crypto-plague-ea1a3c1e0b5e

Apparently a few of these giants are falsifying their volumes. Maybe because a higher market cap would make people think it's a more trustworthy exchange? I don't know if it's really worth going through all of that effort.

Would this have a major effect on the prices? I know we used to see huge differences in prices in the past, but now you won't see much more than a few percent here and there between exchanges.

This is incredible it shows the lengths that exchanges will go to in order to attract new clients and investors. IT doesn't make sense to do this it will get discovered at some point. Standards need to be in place for exchanges and soon they will have reporting requirements in order to maintain their integrity.  Huh
onaiwusun

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2018, 08:18:19 PM

A lot of exchanges are guilty of this falsehood. Sadly, some reputable exchanges are also not exonerated. Wash trading should be discouraged, it is deceptive
Pancheng

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 08:19:36 PM

We are talking  fake here, then this article have two intention as well its either to tell the truth or to confused us by spreading fake assumptions...  Everyone should do their background check if they want the real thing.

gscplatform.io ─ ✈ ─ Navigate To The Heart Of A Revolution
▐ █▐▌ICO Presale July 1st, 2018▐▌█▐
Coinnosaurus

Activity: 643
Merit: 264

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 09:07:59 PM

Hitbtc volumes are obviously fake and it doesn’t need any complicated statistical analysis. Pick any random usdt market in a small volume token and it volume is huge compared to other exchanges.
fempat

Activity: 331
Merit: 13

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 09:13:56 PM

Hitbtc volumes are obviously fake and it doesn’t need any complicated statistical analysis. Pick any random usdt market in a small volume token and it volume is huge compared to other exchanges.
What's the source of your assertion? Let's not just conclude because we have some issues or reservations abut a particular exchange.
BTW, The OP made a good point. This act is a very dangerous one as those giants could easily rip many people off their money in the event that they decide to close down. Yes there are regulators like the SEC but they usually find their way around them.

Mix_Fix

Activity: 420
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 09:43:51 PM

While market don't have enough regulation, exchanges can manipulate with volume. Everybody wants to make money, so do companies and exchange platforms.
panfils

Activity: 51

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 09:50:45 PM

Well this is unevitable at the moment... Until we got any "authority" that will approve every single transaction in every market, we have to trust on Exchange's volumes.
But I agree with you, there are a lot of platforms that are making huge fake volumes and this is really disturbing.
Diced90

Activity: 994
Merit: 515

Get'em boys

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 09:53:55 PM

A lot of exchanges are guilty of this falsehood. Sadly, some reputable exchanges are also not exonerated. Wash trading should be discouraged, it is deceptive

Yes, I agree with you on that the volume information on exchanges is something to tackle because its decisiveness is bad to the community in general and may even play a role in the market price of some coins.
hulla

Activity: 1820
Merit: 566

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 02:07:33 PM

Well, falsification of trading volume in crypto currency exchange site is not something new because it have been happening a longtime and even coin market capital was once also accused of increasement of coins information which I also confirmed it. However, I believe evey thing is already sort out now and this is the reason why the cryptocurrency capital is down to $252B

.Duelbits.
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀
 ▀▄    ▄▀▀
Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█
█  █    █    █  █  █ █
Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █
█     ▀▄▀     █   ▀▀  █
Blackjack
▄▄▀█████▀▄▄
▄▀▀   █████ ▄▄▀▀▄
███▄  ▄█████▄▀▀▄███
██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
█ ▀▀██▀ ▀▄   ▄▀ ▀██▀▀ █
█    █    ███    █    █
█ ▄▄██▄ ▄▀   ▀▄ ▄██▄▄ █
██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
Roulette
█▀▀▀▄             ▄▀▀▀█
█ ▀▄ ▀▄         ▄▀ ▄▀ █
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄     ▄▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀
▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▄
█ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀  ▄▀ █
▄▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀▄
Dice Duels
buivanquan22

Activity: 171

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 03:13:41 PM

I think all exchanges have automatic trading system. It creates an unrealistic look. You see the volume of transactions is large but not real. These are just virtual indicators to fool
JohnCallahan

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 10:23:39 AM

I think this is a very bad practice. It can easily manipulate beginners so i think this thing should be stopped. Otherwise it will create more problem in the market.
freightjoe

Activity: 238
Merit: 109

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 10:30:36 AM

This is not surprising - these exchanges are totally unregulated and a perfect playground for scammers and cheaters. There have been warnings for more than a year that manipulation which is illegal in normal investment markets is rampantly out of control in the crypto markets.
TonyRodriguez

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 10:43:08 AM

Sometimes these things are created by the bots. Anyway these things creates negativity in the crypto world. I think that these things should be monitored.
SunriseSecret009

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 01:23:14 PM

Why they need to manipulate the volumes? This is really disturbing thing. Lots of scams out there and often newbies fall into their traps.
HitMarshall67

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 02:10:14 PM

this incident took place about 5 months ago. No need to worry about it. New ICO always try to exaggerate their original volume to attract new customers. Market cap is about to stable right now.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: