Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:58:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SHOULD TOLERANT PEOPLE TOLERATE INTOLERANCE?  (Read 89 times)
Jared_Burns (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 04:09:24 PM

According to Popper, "The external environment is constantly changing. This means that new perspectives and ideas must develop in order to react and adapt to new conditions. An intolerant perspective is one that is incapable of acknowledging and adapting to external change. Failing to adapt to change means a failure of that society."
What is your take?
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MiningDog

Activity: 23

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 04:26:18 PM

According to Popper, "The external environment is constantly changing. This means that new perspectives and ideas must develop in order to react and adapt to new conditions. An intolerant perspective is one that is incapable of acknowledging and adapting to external change. Failing to adapt to change means a failure of that society."
What is your take?
The definition that I found for intolerant is, "not tolerating or respecting beliefs, opinions, usages, manners, etc., different from one's own, as in political or religious matters; bigoted." (https://www.dictionary.com/browse/intolerant) I guess the opposite would be respecting others beliefs etc. Respecting beliefs is a good thing. A tolerant person should respect people, even if they don't respect others. Being a bigot and acting on it are different things in my mind. Intolerant people can think all they want and talk about it among themselves. I think the problem is when bigots start acting out in violence or verbal abuse of others. That is not acceptable in society.
MiningDog

Activity: 23

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 10:36:27 AM

In my opinion tolerant people should tolerate everything, even if "everything" includes people who are intolerant People who define themselves as tolerants should tolerate intolerance.
I think that tolerant people who don't tolerate somebody because he is intolerant go against tolerance because they don't accept a way of thinking.
Tolerant people should in my opinion accept every point of view even if they disagree.
I know it's hard to tolerate intolerance but people who do it are real tolerant people and are in my opinion wise people.
Life is always easier when you accept all, you don't go against the things, you just let the things be like they are.
I agree that it's best to be tolerant of everybody. I interpret this as respect for other peoples beliefs and traditions. This is not equivalent to passiveness. Imagine robbery. You could say I'm tolerant of all peoples. I'm even tolerant of robbers. A robber could say he believes it's okay to "steal from the rich". If he comes to your home, tolerance doesn't mean that you'll just let him steal all your things. You won't stand there thinking, "I respect his choice." Being tolerant of other's opinions is great, but it doesn't mean you think they should be able to break the law and hurt other people.
dutechman

Activity: 199
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 02, 2018, 12:18:01 PM

Tolerance doesn't mean we should tolerate nonsense. If you tolerate some things you ought to reject, people we just turn you to a dumping site. As you have a tolerance character, don't forget to also add discipline and integrity protection.

P2PS TOKEN ▐ ▌ CREATING A WORLDWIDE NETWORK OF DIGITAL SERVICES
▰▰▰▰▰▰  BUY P2PS TOKEN!  [ SUBSCRIBE ]  ▰▰▰▰▰▰ (https://www.p2psf.org/)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: