Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:05:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The fact is Bitcoin is dangerous. They know.  (Read 3783 times)
Anonymous

October 13, 2011, 01:56:33 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2011, 02:07:57 AM by Immanuel Go

These attackers, they are probably highly paid or have some other incentive bigger than we know. Bitcoin threatens the whole monetary system. A fight like this is to be expected.

We should expect bigger hits in the future. Be prepared. My words will prove true all in good time.

Update: For those who don't know, pools are being knocked down by DDOS attacks. There's no profit lying in plain sight with this one folks unlike the exchanges. There is an entity out there that wants this whole thing neutered.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 02:09:51 AM

Meh,

current attacks probably come from within the bitcoin community. Has to do with the recent price drops I'll assume.
If that will bring prices up or down is anyones guess but I'm sure it is related.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 02:15:06 AM

Bitcoin IS dangerous to the establishment financial system, but these little DDoS attacks are not done by some grand secret malicious organization.

When banks feel threatened by Bitcoin, they'll start attacking it via the regulatory and legal system. That's how they work. They'll get the senators mad about Bitcoin, and the cries will go out as in South Park, "there oughtta be a law!!!"

Occam's Razor is very important when pondering "what may be going on."

DDoS happens... doesn't really need much more explanation than that.
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 02:23:43 AM

ddos today is nothing more than a timed attack trying to ease the downward pressure on the market trying to create a short timed rally. Maybe..  Grin
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 02:26:47 AM

My guess... ddos is an attack to drop the network hash rate just before the next difficulty change in hopes it will get set at a much lower value...

cruikshank

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 02:40:38 AM

Occam's Razor is very important when pondering "what may be going on."

DDoS happens... doesn't really need much more explanation than that.

Occam's Razor should never stand in the way of perfectly good chance to run around screaming "The Illuminati is out to get me!!!" whilst flailing arms about.

1JvnFCbMXAyeooPggF9snLAeg3A2QVV8eh
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 02:49:27 AM

My guess... ddos is an attack to drop the network hash rate just before the next difficulty change in hopes it will get set at a much lower value...

My initial reaction too.
bitleaker

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 02:55:09 AM

My words will prove true all in good time.

How is your track record when it comes to that?

Okay, I am overreacting. This isn't as big as I thought it was.

Oh, you answered my question already.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 02:58:19 AM

+1

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Giraffe.BTC

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 03:49:27 AM

These attackers, they are probably highly paid or have some other incentive bigger than we know. Bitcoin threatens the whole monetary system. A fight like this is to be expected.

We should expect bigger hits in the future. Be prepared. My words will prove true all in good time.

Update: For those who don't know, pools are being knocked down by DDOS attacks. There's no profit lying in plain sight with this one folks unlike the exchanges. There is an entity out there that wants this whole thing neutered.
I'm sure it makes you feel important to think Powerful Forces are behind incidents like this but get real.  At this point Bitcoin is so comically far from threatening the status quo that even if the secret cabal of fiat money overlords you're all worked up about existed, they'd be more worried about asteroids hitting the Earth than a niche cryptocurrency you can't actually buy anything with.

Before inventing conspiracies, look to the obvious.  In this case:  greed or boredom.  Someone's either trying to up their mining output by taking out the pools or just felt like fucking with other people's stuff because they were bored and wanted to see if they could.

Donation address:  none, because I'm not a goddamn hobo.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 04:05:43 AM

Total value of bitcoins: about US$31 million
Total US money supply (M2): about $9,544,000 million

Yes, 'they' want to stop bitcoin because it's a threat.  'Those' powerful forces are DDoSing the major pools at the moment. 

My guess is the current DDoS action is an attempt to lower the hash rate right before the next difficulty adustment.  If we see the DDoSes stop in about 90 blocks time then we'll know that was the most plausible explanation.
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 05:28:47 AM

easy, everything will go well.

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 08:08:19 AM

I'm thinking this quote should follow every post immanuel makes

I rather drink, cook and bathe exclusively with purified bottled water because it won't be lovingly pumped full of sodium fluoride and heavy metals.[..] I do know that people do not want water full of chemicals none of us asked for nor had any scientific-backing in the first place.

johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 08:21:18 AM

I was thinking that as well... but then I thought that the DDoS is separate event, and the massive hashrate drop could be a coordinated withdrawal of mining farm operators who communicated to withdrawal at the end of the round rather than the beginning or staggered, in order to minimize the damage.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 08:56:49 AM

I think the banksters are having much bigger and urgent issues at the moment, and BTC is still under the radar screen of 99,9%, but in case it will become a serious treath for them, I would bet that they will attack first of all manipulating the market like they are doing with gold and silver, causing booms and busts in the price (and profiting all the way), maybe even attempting to disrupt the network in any possible way, and attempting to create fake BTC like they sell paper gold and silver.

Luckily, interventions by law would not be effective (they would backfire being free advertising for BTC), otherwise it would be too easy.
asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 11:14:05 AM

I'm thinking this quote should follow every post immanuel makes

I rather drink, cook and bathe exclusively with purified bottled water because it won't be lovingly pumped full of sodium fluoride and heavy metals.[..] I do know that people do not want water full of chemicals none of us asked for nor had any scientific-backing in the first place.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoride-dangers/health/index.aspx
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 02:01:06 PM

causing booms and busts in the price (and profiting all the way)

unheard of with bitcoin  Lips sealed

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 06:24:32 PM

The Best Attack is for them to simply buy 100s of billions worth of bitcoins in a short amount of time while giving it massive amounts of positive media attention.
Of course they wouldn't get a return on their investment, but its not about money it's about power.

Here are the results:
      1) Current bitcoiners (very small population) would be so overcome with their wealth that it would be almost impossible to focus on improving bitcoin.
      2) Bounties would cease to exist entirely or become very rare.
      3) The huge spike in price would attract the whole world to get involved in bitcoins causing the bitcoin price to continue launch to high heaven.
      4) it peaks
      5) We watch a gradual price decline for the next several years with one negative news report after another (remember: they own the media).
      6) This new wealth attracts every schemer, con-man, and hacker in existence to attack every bitcoin web site for personal gain - which is easy considering most of the services are new and vulnerable.
      7) All new bitcoiners (which would be very large portion of the bitcoiners population) turn very pessimistic and negative towards the project and slowly give up one by one.
      Cool The media circulates stories of how it is the money of drug lords and terrorist and start rumors of legislation.
      9) Thank goodness "Bitcoin is dead and behind us" attitude - it was just a fad.
      10) It lives on as niche-techy-nerdy currency that has little chance of rising again to challenge their systems - they just ignore us from then on.

Sound familiar ?!? Shocked

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 06:50:48 PM

Do you realize that

1)we went through that once and we survived and we are now better prepared to face it once more?

2)that "The media circulates stories of how it is the money of drug lords and terrorist and start rumors of legislation" actually would make bitcoin price keep skyrocketing?

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2011, 06:59:30 PM

The Best Attack is for them to simply buy 100s of billions worth of bitcoins in a short amount of time while giving it massive amounts of positive media attention.
Of course they wouldn't get a return on their investment, but its not about money it's about power.

Here are the results:
      1) Current bitcoiners (very small population) would be so overcome with their wealth that it would be almost impossible to focus on improving bitcoin.
      2) Bounties would cease to exist entirely or become very rare.
      3) The huge spike in price would attract the whole world to get involved in bitcoins causing the bitcoin price to continue launch to high heaven.
      4) it peaks
      5) We watch a gradual price decline for the next several years with one negative news report after another (remember: they own the media).
      6) This new wealth attracts every schemer, con-man, and hacker in existence to attack every bitcoin web site for personal gain - which is easy considering most of the services are new and vulnerable.
      7) All new bitcoiners (which would be very large portion of the bitcoiners population) turn very pessimistic and negative towards the project and slowly give up one by one.
      Cool The media circulates stories of how it is the money of drug lords and terrorist and start rumors of legislation.
      9) Thank goodness "Bitcoin is dead and behind us" attitude - it was just a fad.
      10) It lives on as niche-techy-nerdy currency that has little chance of rising again to challenge their systems - they just ignore us from then on.

Sound familiar ?!? Shocked

wow, let's try this see if we get to point 10 safe and sound Tongue

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: