Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:54:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Does Stock Work  (Read 3930 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 03:21:09 AM

Everytime someone buy or sell a stock, some of that money goes to the corporation to be used as capital?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 03:36:06 AM

Everytime someone buy or sell a stock, some of that money goes to the corporation to be used as capital?
I think only when they initially sell the stock.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 03:56:19 AM

The trading is pretty pointless, IMO, since you're essentially trading only voting rights (unless there are dividends).

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 04:04:14 AM

The trading is pretty pointless, IMO, since you're essentially trading only voting rights (unless there are dividends).
Why? You can sell stocks that you think will depreciate in value and buy those who’ll appreciate.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 04:09:28 AM

The issuance of stock is one of the most expensive ways a company can raise capital. Money does not go to the company when it is sold between traders, only when the company initially sells the stock. However, if a company has a high stock price it appear that the company is worth more, which can be used to secure low interest loans or a bond issue, which is usually a much cheaper way to raise capital. It can get complicated.

Wouldn't it be beneficial that the company get capitals from people selling or buying?

I guess, a lot of people dislike this arrangement. For me, I think it would make sense that portion of the stock sale proceed goes to fund the company. That's speaking as investor of course.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 04:20:04 AM

Why? You can sell stocks that you think will depreciate in value and buy those who’ll appreciate.

Of course there is money to be made in trading them, but I don't see why anyone would ultimately want them just to own. They seem very similar to company-issued fiat currency without much backing.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 04:22:51 AM

Of course there is money to be made in trading them, but I don't see why anyone would ultimately want them just to own. They seem very similar to company-issued fiat currency without much backing.

Without taxation, dividend looks attractive.

dissipate

Activity: 288

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 07:00:07 AM

The issuance of stock is one of the most expensive ways a company can raise capital. Money does not go to the company when it is sold between traders, only when the company initially sells the stock. However, if a company has a high stock price it appear that the company is worth more, which can be used to secure low interest loans or a bond issue, which is usually a much cheaper way to raise capital. It can get complicated.

Wouldn't it be beneficial that the company get capitals from people selling or buying?

I guess, a lot of people dislike this arrangement. For me, I think it would make sense that portion of the stock sale proceed goes to fund the company. That's speaking as investor of course.

It wouldn't make sense for the company to get a portion of each stock sale because just like any other privately owned good, you can only sell it once.

A company goes public for a variety of reasons. Two of the main reasons are as follows:

1. To raise capital during an IPO (initial public offering). By selling off the company shares to investors in an IPO, the company raises capital to invest in its growth, pay off debt, etc.

2. Allow management and employees of the company to cash in their stock options and receive the full value of their shares. The shares of a private company are usually traded under extremely limited circumstances (e.g. from one employee to another). This being the case, under such limited circumstances, individuals with the company who own significant quantities of company shares cannot be certain of the value of each share. The shares could be extremely valuable or perhaps almost worthless. In absence of being sold on a broader market, it is near impossible to value the shares properly.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 09:49:48 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2011, 02:01:03 PM by Grinder

A company goes public for a variety of reasons. Two of the main reasons are as follows:
The main reason by far is that it makes it easier for owners to sell (and implicitly buy) shares. Combined with the fact that the laws about distribution of information is much more strict for public companies in most countries, it makes the shares much more attractive. This results in higher share prices.
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 08:30:14 PM

The great majority of companies pay dividends, and that is what gives the stock its value.

New tech companies often don't pay dividends, but (believe it or not) their stock value comes from the expectation that they will pay dividends someday.

Hal Finney
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 09:22:43 AM

The value of tech stocks comes from their status as legalized gambling, and from the US government giving free drugs to old people that induce compulsive gambling and give said government a cut in the form of tax revenues.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2011, 01:03:03 AM

Stock in a company represents a share in the ownership of the company.  You have a financial (common and preferred stock) and voting interest (common stock).  The profit (revenue minus expenses) of the company accrues to shareholder equity.  The shareholder and management of the company may periodically elect to return shareholder equity to the shareholders as a dividend, or reinvest it in the company (to expand future revenue and profit).  Growth companies, perceiving opportunity by reinvesting, often do not pay a dividend.  More established, low growth companies usually pay profits out as a dividend to shareholders.

When a company does it's initial public offering, the company is able to raise money by issuing and selling new stock.  Current stock holders are usually able to sell some of their shares in an IPO, but usually only a small percentage (there is a lock out period).  The trading of stock once issued doesn't generate income for the company, however it does provide needed liquidity in the event the company does need to raise capital (they can issue and sell new shares).  Conversely, companies will sometimes buy back shares if they believe the current price is too low and they have excess capital (in a way, it's an alternative to issuing a dividend).

It's interesting that some compare stock to fiat currency.  In a way, it's true...by holding stock in a company, you are investing in the future success of that company.  By holding fiat currency, you are investing in the broader economy that uses the currency (if central banks didn't have a habit of inflating away the value of currency, it probably would be a good proxy for the performance of the overall economy).  It's interesting that people hold a view that fiat currency and stock have little backing them.  That's not true in either case (just as it's not the case with bitcoin).  The problem with fiat currency (and with some stocks) is that the issuing entity keeps printing more.  In the case of stocks, at least new issuances (secondary offerings) are offered to anyone willing to buy them (though often there are large investors that get preferential treatment in IPOs or secondary offerings).  In the case of currency, the newly printed money enters through a select few large banks (thereby creating a transfer of wealth from current holders of the currency to the recipients of the newly created money).

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 05:45:14 AM

Well, the amount of the dividends are voted during general assembly.  So voting rights matter.

steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 06:36:28 AM

Everytime someones buys or sells a stock, some of that money goes to the corporation to be used as capital?

A stock on the NYSE is suppose to represent ownership in a public corporation.  If you own 10,000 shares in a stock with 100,000 shares diluted outstanding.  You own 10% of the company.  Small shareholders can be screwed by the large shareholders as well as the CEOs. 

When you trade stocks all you are doing is transferring ownership.
benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 04:06:49 PM

It's not really accurate to say that stocks represent ownership.  New stocks can be issued, diluting the value of existing stocks.  No benefits (dividends) need necessarily accrue to stockholders.

FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 04:29:28 PM

New stocks can be issued, diluting the value of existing stocks.
Yes, but newly issued stock always existed, the company just hadn't already sold it.

benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 04:59:06 PM

Yes, but newly issued stock always existed, the company just hadn't already sold it.

Not true.  They can print new shares at any time.

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2006/04/28/foolish-fundamentals-stock-dilution.aspx

FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 05:05:52 PM

That's awful. I always thought that companies would just split their stock if they needed more units.

tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 05:40:05 PM

That's awful. I always thought that companies would just split their stock if they needed more units.

They can also buy back stock too.  Although buy backs don't really have any impact on the value of a company, since they have less cash even though there is less stock, so less value is there.
benjamindees
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 05:25:52 PM

Don't worry, they promise to only do it when it is in your best interests.  I thought you agreed that consent was not a good factor by which to judge an outcome?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: