Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:41:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this MtGox's NTXID testing in action???  (Read 1572 times)
zipmaster (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:20:41 PM

Thanks to DataVeteran's twitter page (https://twitter.com/Datavetaren), I've stumbled on the following link:

https://data.mtgox.com/api/0/bitcoin_tx.php

It shows a bunch of mtgox blockchain submissions. They all include the new transaction ID constructed by Sipa and Krapeles as disussed extensively on the GitHub thread (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/3656).

Copy/Pasting the NTXID field in blockchain.info gives a series of transactions happening over the course of the past couple days. If I understand correctly this is the testing they announced they would be doing.

Not all NTXID seem to work. This might imply that not all test transactions are going through properly and, thus, the system isn't fully ready for primetime action. If this were the case, the freeze on all withdrawals could be deemed appropriate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knocte

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:59:49 PM

This is good news for people that are hoping that the exchange doesn't die and they can recover their funds.

However, it still makes me wonder: if Mtgox is solvent and the delay are just really caused because of technical issues or incompetence, why would Karpeles deny to comment about Mtgox's solvency? Why wouldn't he want to avoid paranoia and make their customers have peace of mind? The only reason I find is to actually crash the price on purpose.
YourFriendlyNig

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:19:22 PM

Thanks to DataVeteran's twitter page (https://twitter.com/Datavetaren), I've stumbled on the following link:

https://data.mtgox.com/api/0/bitcoin_tx.php

It shows a bunch of mtgox blockchain submissions. They all include the new transaction ID constructed by Sipa and Krapeles as disussed extensively on the GitHub thread (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/3656).

Copy/Pasting the NTXID field in blockchain.info gives a series of transactions happening over the course of the past couple days. If I understand correctly this is the testing they announced they would be doing.

Not all NTXID seem to work. This might imply that not all test transactions are going through properly and, thus, the system isn't fully ready for primetime action. If this were the case, the freeze on all withdrawals could be deemed appropriate.

I don't know much about programming, but what does it mean by the fact that all the script signatures are redacted?
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:24:38 PM

However, it still makes me wonder: if Mtgox is solvent and the delay are just really caused because of technical issues or incompetence, why would Karpeles deny to comment about Mtgox's solvency? Why wouldn't he want to avoid paranoia and make their customers have peace of mind? The only reason I find is to actually crash the price on purpose.

Maybe he is a sociopath?

Lack of remorse or guilt
    Emotionally shallow
    Callous/lack of empathy
    Failure to accept responsibility for own actions

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:26:38 PM

At this point, people won't believe anything they say. They may figure they might as well make millions from all the trading.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:28:09 PM

I guess all the FUDsters will say this ntxid testing is just a smoke screen.

Barek

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:28:53 PM

Exactly, as would be the reaction from them saying everything was fine.
un_ordinateur

Activity: 157

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 12:35:01 AM

I don't know much about programming, but what does it mean by the fact that all the script signatures are redacted?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for, so sorry if I my answer is not what you expected.

The ntxid is calculated the same way that the txid is calculated, but by removing all scripts. Why? The idea is that the scripts themselves are not signed (and cannot easily be), whereas other part of the transactions are signed. Now an attacker may make a subtle modification to the script; and since the scripts are not signed, even if the attacter does not have the private key, the transaction remains valid.

There is now two similar but different transactions. They both have the same effect: "transferring n bitcoins form X to Y" (this data is signed). But because they have the same effect, only one of them can confirm. We say that that one of them is mutated (but to a miner, who don't know the sender, he cannot tell which is which, both being equally valid). Their txid is different, because the transactions are slightly different.

If the "mutated" one confirms, it may confuse the sender if the sender only checks if a given txid is confirmed.

The ntxid is a solution to that: By blanking the scripts, the ntxid is the same for ALL transactions that have the same effect. Since this data is controlled/signed by the sender, he can now be sure that if he checks for confirmation of a given ntxid, he will know, even if it is a mutated version that confirms.

(The original txid remains useful because the nodes need a way to discern the different-but-equally-valid mutated versions one from the other.)
CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 12:57:03 AM

I would say the fact that it is still not working is just a sign of ongoing incompetence. Seems they will be in legal trouble soon enough though.
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 01:05:04 AM

If this is serious, the withdrawals should take months to return to normal anyway, they already announced "new limits" due to "market conditions"(their own condition emminent bank run), the closed box will continue with low value goxcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: