Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 09:28:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting alternative to CPU GPU ASIC MINING.  (Read 2309 times)
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 08:41:51 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 04:52:36 PM by gpucoolingmethod

AMD's APUs are the alternative to cpu gpu asic.They integrate amd cpu with amd gpu.

I also have few Questions about APUs so please bear with Me.

amd.com/us/solutions/desktops/Pages/desktops.aspx shows that A10 series has Radeon 8670D.

Do all of the A10 Apus have this Radeon?

Is Radeon 8xxx same as Rx xxx ?

Did AMD always make CPU only until it acquired ATI which is the original Radeon creator and integrated their gpu with their cpu or what?

Will the Radeon in the APU giva same kh/s as normal?

gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:53:04 PM

almost 24 hours and no reply
baka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:06:35 PM

Yes they work but don't expect more than 60-80 khash from them though.

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. Sc8XY5PmHK1NJ2DNvJhS82AQVFwMGimX8w
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:47:19 PM

why so low? dont they have radeon inside?

can you please answer the other questions becuase there are no search results which answer them
baka

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:55:14 PM

why so low? dont they have radeon inside?

can you please answer the other questions becuase there are no search results which answer them

They are slower because they have up to 384 cores were as a r9 280x has 2048 cores which are also higher clocked.

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. Sc8XY5PmHK1NJ2DNvJhS82AQVFwMGimX8w
ANJULE

Activity: 61

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 08:01:04 PM

Yes there just isn't enough space on the core of the cpu for the full-gpu core.
I wrote this list and you managed to answer before me... But I send it anyway, since it's written.
One part of the slowness comes from the memory-lane's speed. It isn't nearly as fast as in external GPU.
By memory-lane I mean the data-transfer speed from the cpu to ram.
Other part is the space,  power and heat.

How could they make integrated-gpu as fast as the external, when there isn't enough space in the core of the cpu?
Also the super-fast gpu would consume 180-300w of electricity that transforms into heat. Plus the heat from the cpu-part.
Heat and cpu won't work good together, it will cause miscalculations and unstable systems.

And how to supply +200-320w of electricity to cpu-socket thru motherboard? It would need more power connectors on-board.
All of these problems can be solved, but I guess that AMD wants to sell their GPU's as well.

CoinWare.eu - Just started an online-store that accepts BTC!
For now only few items, but more to come! Shipping allover the World by Express-mail.
Europe: 3-6workdays| USA: 4-7workdays | Rest of the World: 4-11 workdays
ANJULE

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 08:02:50 PM

But how much do they consume electricity?

For now only few items, but more to come! Shipping allover the World by Express-mail.
sonikku13

Activity: 134

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 08:04:09 PM

I have an A10-7850K with 512 GCN cores. I get about 70 KH/sec from it with DDR3-1333 SDRAM. Not good value for the money, but it's only $100 more than a Sempron 145, plus high end motherboards such as the ASUS A88X-PRO cost only $120, vs. $220 for the ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z. So it's a wash. One less PCI-E slot probably makes people lean away from the APU.

For comparison, a Radeon R9 280X/Radeon HD 7970 gets 730 KH/sec at 1050 MHz core/1500 MHz memory. A Radeon R9 290X gets 910 KH/sec at 1000 MHz core/1375 MHz memory. APUs just pale in comparison to dedicated GPUs.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, Radeon R9 Fury X, ASUS Prime X370 Pro, 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM, 240 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro
BTC: 161E5TTNh1GjdgYUC1WJ8zpFXKZoDJDKoL
ETH: 0x8e0c8401EABDBa8bF4f26B05ae6B3516669EdA4a
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 08:05:50 PM

But how much do they consume electricity?

all answers I l found looking to answer you show TDP  as max power consumption.This is wrong because TDP means max heat produced in Watts hence the misconception.

Please answer my questions google'ing didnt answer any.
ANJULE

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 08:54:44 PM

Well in electrical machines that dont have moving parts (cpu, memory,ssd etc.) the TDP is the electical consumption.
Since all the energy is transformed in to heat, if there's no moving parts.

gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 10:36:03 PM

Well in electrical machines that dont have moving parts (cpu, memory,ssd etc.) the TDP is the electical consumption.

Please explain if Im wrong but most of the work is calculations (information). heat is waste "sideeffect''
Dimrain13

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:31:21 AM

You really should spend more time researching, your question has been answered here already. Another reason is less Shaders.
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 08:39:32 AM

Please explain if Im wrong but most of the work is calculations (information). heat is waste "sideeffect''

so am i correct?
ANJULE

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 12:00:35 PM

No. To put it simple processor is an copper wire. Through that copper wire electrons travel which is called electric current.
The copper wire is very very thin and any current is big enough to heat those wires.
Transistors inside the core direct voltage (and thus current) to different routes, depending on how much the processor is
used at the moment. So the MAX electricity consumed = TDP
You are right on one thing heat is ALWAYS side product of any electrical product. Think electrical engines an their efficiency.

gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:27:03 PM

No. To put it simple processor is an copper wire. Through that copper wire electrons travel which is called electric current.
The copper wire is very very thin and any current is big enough to heat those wires.
Transistors inside the core direct voltage (and thus current) to different routes, depending on how much the processor is
used at the moment. So the MAX electricity consumed = TDP
You are right on one thing heat is ALWAYS side product of any electrical product. Think electrical engines an their efficiency.

any current is big enough to heat those wires but not 100% current is converted into heat right?

so how many % of all watts of energy going to cpu is not being converted to heat?

please reply I dont understand yet
hulk

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:33:45 PM

Not efficient in mining..

ANJULE

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 02:46:17 PM

Well, electricity is a wicked thing.
All of it will transform 100.0000% in to heat.

To mix your brain a little more:
Electrical outlets have three wires L-GND-N
L=live
GND=ground
N=neutral

Electricity "waits" in the L when some machine that allows the electricity
to flow from L to N, like computer is plugged in.
The thing that is really mystifying is that the same current that leaves the L-wire goes to your computer and back along the N-wire.
So how is the electricity consumed?

Everything above is 100% true, just had to write it since this is being really foolish: yes but no, but yes but no chitchat.

gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 05:33:15 PM

it doesnt have to. It can transform into light in a lightbulb for example.So what does into transfrom itself into in a cpu? Maybe information? Cheesy
Starscream

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 06:05:22 PM

it doesnt have to. It can transform into light in a lightbulb for example.So what does into transfrom itself into in a cpu? Maybe information? Cheesy
I does.
Heat is essentially energy, and that energy is used, in a tungsten wire (your average light bulb) to excite electrons to higher levels, eventually those electrons will fall back to their normal level and when that happens, they release energy (the same amount of energy that was required to excite them to the next level), that energy is released in the form of a photon - light.
So the electric energy was used to excite the electrons, not to produce light. The light was produced from the electrons dropping back.
gpucoolingmethod (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 09:02:37 PM

I does.
Heat is essentially energy, and that energy is used, in a tungsten wire (your average light bulb) to excite electrons to higher levels, eventually those electrons will fall back to their normal level and when that happens, they release energy (the same amount of energy that was required to excite them to the next level), that energy is released in the form of a photon - light.
So the electric energy was used to excite the electrons, not to produce light. The light was produced from the electrons dropping back.

light bulbs have efficiency ratings like 100% of electricity--->90% light +10% heat. Does your explanation still work?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: