Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:25:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HODL or NOT? One year HODL expirience.  (Read 446 times)
Dimm_bounty13 (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

Tokenize Everything - https://www.udap.io/

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 01:19:23 PM
Merited by popox (2), Ryan Bianchi (2), just_Alice (1), leetcoiner (1)

Mates, let's talk about HODL and break down all the myths how long to hold coins and whether it's beneficial to hold them for 2, 3 or 5 years. Is it as profitable as everybody says?

I will draw upon my own experience and reading of the situation. Hopefully, I'll also engage in the discussion! The worst advice (and the most popular at the same time in this forum) is to hold your coins as long as you can and that the five-year HODL will definitely make you extremely rich.
Everybody advise this each other without elaborating on the details and aims. It doesn't matter whether you hold Bitcoin or Ethereum or a conservative portfolio of the coins from the top 10 or a risky one of shitcoins. The only answer is HODL without other options and compromise!
Here is my story which tells you that there mustn't be the "one-size-fits-all" approach. I'll try to prove to you that you shouldn't leave the market for a long time if you want to make good money but not just make at most x4 (maybe) in some years in the riskiest market which more likely takes your money than lets you earn!
I got to one of the brightest historical moments in the market. I started using the exchange at the end of the summer of 2017. I saved 100-300 USD from my salary and purchased Bitcoin. After that. I exchanged it for different altcoins (BAT, Stratis, wings, omg, tenx, sia, golem.nem, xrp etc, ltc, and others). The set of coins was quite good, as you can see.
Nowadays I'm still not an expert, and at that time I purchased what seemed to be innovative. I considered Bitcoin not to give as many X as fresh and promising altcoins do. I wished the market had "gone along" with me. That's what followed next: altcoins kept falling - they also were falling when Bitcoin was going up. Looking back, I understand that the best strategy was to purchase Bitcoin and hold it by the end of November and then shift to altcoins which started going to the moon one after the other.
I followed my strategy and kept buying different altcoins losing my money. I'd been holding for a long time before bulls occupied the market and it started going up. But you know these human instincts of greed.
You can't just sell 80% of your portfolio at the first strong pump in your life especially when the whole forum tells you to hold to succeed! Naturally, I thought that my coins would grow forever. By the moment of the December pump and "bull madness" in the market, my portfolio had grown from 3,5 thousand USD up to 12 thousand USD in several weeks.
After that, there was a market crash, which has been lasting by now. Now my portfolio is in the hole, and I keep holding it hoping for another pump, then I definitely won't be greed! My portfolio hasn't changed in a year. I continue purchasing small amounts of coins which I'm not afraid to lose because the best moment for the purchase has been just now.
The message I've got from this situation is that long-term hold is not the best strategy. You must be flexible, ready to learn and adapt your strategy to the changes in the market. To make really much money, you have to be strong and able to take quick and executive decisions on the sale of all your assets at the moment when everybody around is jumping for joy and pouring all their money in the market!
The second moment: after the market fell down (we wait, don't lose money), and then fell again and again (and maybe one more time), it's better to purchase small amounts (!) of coins at each downfall investing more and more money. Along with this, the news not only about the market but also these assets must be positive! Thus, you'll be able to make much profit and withdraw money after some waves!
If you just hold your coins, you can do this for many years from big rises to big downfalls and get nothing. Yeah, maybe I'm simplistic, and everything depends on your financial situation and global understanding of the market, and hence the set of coins you're holding. The choice of coins is one of the crucial points because if I'm honest, there're few coins which cope with 5 years of hold.
Moreover, I'd emphasize that it's a bad idea to hold without following the news and correcting your portfolio by including new coins and deleting unpromising ones which stop to develop (because the team broke up, for example). In recent 6 months, I've included some ZIL coins (3%) and QuarckChain (5%) in my portfolio. I also got some TEZOS after its recent crash and excluded some coins which didn't meet my expectations in the last six months.
 I'd like to say that even if you're a dilettante like me, you will notice the coming of the global bull or bear market. In December it was obvious but we were blinded by greed. I've got burned but now I'm ready for the second round! I believe it'll be in 6-12 months. The longer, the better! I'll manage to get ready for another wave.
And, yes, I believe in HODL but which I will manage, which allows me to adapt to the market, not the other way around. When the market will give me a hint to sell, I'll sell and get profit!

Michail9090

Activity: 560
Merit: 100

Change Your Worlds Build a New Era!

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 01:22:03 PM

I am inclined to think that it would still be worth holding the coins, the profit will undoubtedly be. the main thing to have patience

Orionix        |│        The Future of Gaming Comission Free Games And Items Exchange
[   YOUTUBE   ]      [ AIRDROP ]      [    DISCORD    ]
WHITEPAPER                       TWITTER                       TELEGRAM                       ANN THREAD
bellamente

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 01:29:08 PM

If you bought a cryptocurrency 1 year ago, now you have earned.

What should investors do that bought cryptocurrency in December 2017? Many lost 70% of their money

Now I consider the best time for investments

reynald70

Activity: 598

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 01:43:21 PM

you must be careful to buy altcoin in the market for later in Hold, as many fail for the desired price. you should have a lot of information about one coin correctly. but if one altcoin is clear and successful in its project, surely the price will rise sharply.
OneCoinMan

Activity: 644
Merit: 12

Alternative investment banking platform

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 02:15:54 PM

If you bought a cryptocurrency 1 year ago, now you have earned.

What should investors do that bought cryptocurrency in December 2017? Many lost 70% of their money

Now I consider the best time for investments

Losses are an inevitable part of trading, especially if they are associated with ignorance or inability. Buying in late 2017 and early 2018 was initially stupid, so I do not feel sorry for people who lost money.
They aren't not investors, they are hamsters

───────────────    IMO Ecosystem    ───────────────
Customer First, Innovation from Everyone, Fair & Transparent
TELEGRAM  ]              J O I N   U S              [   TWITTER   ]
cola-jere

Activity: 665
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 02:45:58 PM

Trading and hodling is just a high stakes game.
sometimes you win, sometimes to lose.

What I find out is that, a scheduled takeout, is very good. You take out, on a defined schedule (e.g. every end of quarter), no matter what the price of crypto is.
Last follen star

Activity: 210
Merit: 5

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 02:51:15 PM

If you bought altcoins at the old prices, you just have to keep it, do not buy it yet, it's unknown when the market turns around.
I'm try not to hold anything Besides BTC and ETh.
Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 02:54:56 PM

People gets overwhelmed by sharp increase or decrease in price but if we look at the average price of bitcoin, it's only had decreased once in 2014.
The average bitcoin price of 2018 is larger than of 2017 and it's increasing. Just be sure to buy on low and not in highs.
trumper

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 02:57:55 PM

That depends, if you hold one year you may get nothing but if you continue to hold after maybe one month or some time the coin or the market may increase a lot and you make lots of profit.

GabrielPontello

Activity: 63
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 02:59:11 PM

I have been a hodler believer until I understood that when you spot a bear market like the one which we are experiencing right now, to sell for then re-buying lower is actually a much wiser choice...
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 03:03:47 PM

Mates, let's talk about HODL and break down all the myths how long to hold coins and whether it's beneficial to hold them for 2, 3 or 5 years. Is it as profitable as everybody says?

I will draw upon my own experience and reading of the situation. Hopefully, I'll also engage in the discussion! The worst advice (and the most popular at the same time in this forum) is to hold your coins as long as you can and that the five-year HODL will definitely make you extremely rich.
Everybody advise this each other without elaborating on the details and aims. It doesn't matter whether you hold Bitcoin or Ethereum or a conservative portfolio of the coins from the top 10 or a risky one of shitcoins. The only answer is HODL without other options and compromise!
Here is my story which tells you that there mustn't be the "one-size-fits-all" approach. I'll try to prove to you that you shouldn't leave the market for a long time if you want to make good money but not just make at most x4 (maybe) in some years in the riskiest market which more likely takes your money than lets you earn!
I got to one of the brightest historical moments in the market. I started using the exchange at the end of the summer of 2017. I saved 100-300 USD from my salary and purchased Bitcoin. After that. I exchanged it for different altcoins (BAT, Stratis, wings, omg, tenx, sia, golem.nem, xrp etc, ltc, and others). The set of coins was quite good, as you can see.
Nowadays I'm still not an expert, and at that time I purchased what seemed to be innovative. I considered Bitcoin not to give as many X as fresh and promising altcoins do. I wished the market had "gone along" with me. That's what followed next: altcoins kept falling - they also were falling when Bitcoin was going up. Looking back, I understand that the best strategy was to purchase Bitcoin and hold it by the end of November and then shift to altcoins which started going to the moon one after the other.
I followed my strategy and kept buying different altcoins losing my money. I'd been holding for a long time before bulls occupied the market and it started going up. But you know these human instincts of greed.
You can't just sell 80% of your portfolio at the first strong pump in your life especially when the whole forum tells you to hold to succeed! Naturally, I thought that my coins would grow forever. By the moment of the December pump and "bull madness" in the market, my portfolio had grown from 3,5 thousand USD up to 12 thousand USD in several weeks.
After that, there was a market crash, which has been lasting by now. Now my portfolio is in the hole, and I keep holding it hoping for another pump, then I definitely won't be greed! My portfolio hasn't changed in a year. I continue purchasing small amounts of coins which I'm not afraid to lose because the best moment for the purchase has been just now.
The message I've got from this situation is that long-term hold is not the best strategy. You must be flexible, ready to learn and adapt your strategy to the changes in the market. To make really much money, you have to be strong and able to take quick and executive decisions on the sale of all your assets at the moment when everybody around is jumping for joy and pouring all their money in the market!
The second moment: after the market fell down (we wait, don't lose money), and then fell again and again (and maybe one more time), it's better to purchase small amounts (!) of coins at each downfall investing more and more money. Along with this, the news not only about the market but also these assets must be positive! Thus, you'll be able to make much profit and withdraw money after some waves!
If you just hold your coins, you can do this for many years from big rises to big downfalls and get nothing. Yeah, maybe I'm simplistic, and everything depends on your financial situation and global understanding of the market, and hence the set of coins you're holding. The choice of coins is one of the crucial points because if I'm honest, there're few coins which cope with 5 years of hold.
Moreover, I'd emphasize that it's a bad idea to hold without following the news and correcting your portfolio by including new coins and deleting unpromising ones which stop to develop (because the team broke up, for example). In recent 6 months, I've included some ZIL coins (3%) and QuarckChain (5%) in my portfolio. I also got some TEZOS after its recent crash and excluded some coins which didn't meet my expectations in the last six months.
 I'd like to say that even if you're a dilettante like me, you will notice the coming of the global bull or bear market. In December it was obvious but we were blinded by greed. I've got burned but now I'm ready for the second round! I believe it'll be in 6-12 months. The longer, the better! I'll manage to get ready for another wave.
And, yes, I believe in HODL but which I will manage, which allows me to adapt to the market, not the other way around. When the market will give me a hint to sell, I'll sell and get profit!

i think that all your post can be recap in this words: "buy low and sell high".

Off course if you hold your coin enough to sell when they reach maximum price and the buy again when they drop you will gain a lot of money...but how hard is to do that?
IrinaPro94

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 03:10:19 PM

there is no doubt that we need to keep tokens or invest in the top currencies at the moment, as they have slipped, we need to wait for growth.
bglshimo

Activity: 265
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 04:07:32 PM

For this time i prefer hodl your money on cryptocurrency and do not to buy something. You have to believe and be patience for profit like me, because i have 1 year to invest my money on Ethereum and I profit $ 2500.
babygun

Activity: 2100
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 04:11:10 PM

Nice to read your story! I think most of the people on here are holding their coins and hope that the markets recover.
For the moment I am also holding most of my coins.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Snakerist

Activity: 336
Merit: 15

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 04:25:39 PM

Of course when you holding an asset there should be some time to finally sell it. And it's better to do this at price peak.

dtimmy

Activity: 205
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:13:18 PM

I've been holding ethereum since December. I was very happy because of the rapid rise as at January this year, but it has proven not to be funny at all when it started falling till this very moment. I have decided just to leave it until it increases again, as I cannot sell it now.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1587

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:24:08 PM

It´s been a very difficult year for hodlers and the results have probably been not satisfactory at all regarding the results, but that´s is the life of a holder really, you can´t do much more.

leetcoiner

Activity: 1056
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:59:51 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience, I think this is why this forum exists. Everyone should share their mistakes and victories.
bit-freedom

Activity: 658
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 06:07:35 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience. IMO, investing in crypto is an interesting experience. The holding process really test your patience and the ability to differentiate fuds and real news. End of the day, I believe the result will be fruitful.
rockyfeller

Activity: 406
Merit: 101

🚀🚀 ATHERO.IO 🚀🚀

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 06:20:45 PM

If you're a holder you should have patience. Coz if you're in hurry you'll make a lot mistakes. So Patience is the key to success and holders going to win even bear markets occurs.

███  ████     BAANX  |  The Cryptobank Revolution     ████  ███
▬▬▬  ►  ▬▬▬  ANN  Whitepaper  Telegram  Facebook  Twitter  Medium  ▬▬▬  ◄  ▬▬▬
PRE-SALE IS OPEN!  ▬▬  Register for 100BXX!  ▬▬  Subscribe to our NEWSLETTER

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: