Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:48:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The world's first mining TV  (Read 419 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 05:50:24 PM
Merited by Vod (2)

Well it looks as if my prophesy of mining decentralisation is starting to come true, Canaan has introduced the world's first mining TV.
https://bitcoinist.com/worlds-first-bitcoin-mining-tv-canaan/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Heidim

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 08:14:01 AM

Well it looks as if my prophesy of mining decentralisation is starting to come true, Canaan has introduced the world's first mining TV.

I think the only question here is how many people will actually be able to afford a tv like this.  Wink
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 09:15:14 AM

That's Great. Now, all we need is bitcoin mining sex robots.

I'm asking... for a friend.
jaydenbox

Activity: 78
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 01:14:16 PM

I wonder how long until we get mining microwaves? This is funny and smart at the same time, watch TV while you are making bitcoin, does this mean that every house product that spends electricity one day will be mining and paying off their own expenses  Grin Grin, that would be interesting.
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1789

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2018, 01:18:26 PM

Now i wonder how thick or hot is the TV?

Don't worry. Canaan will send Killer Frost to keep it cool.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 01:39:43 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2018, 01:56:33 PM by vapourminer
Merited by Jet Cash (2)

how they consider this as a good idea is beyond me. 100 watts? so someone with high electric cost has this in their living space that produces 100 watts of heat that the AC now needs to absorb and dump in hot weather/climates? 100 watts isnt much but its still added cost for that gets them what..  "entertainment content or physical gifts through Canaan’s platform.”

when these chips are obsolete and losing the owner money (assuming that their entertainment content or gifts are even worth the extra cost of 100 watts worth of electricity when its new).. this is a good idea? hopefully this feature can be turned off.

i wonder if it mines 24/7 or only if the TV is on.

basically the manufacturer makes money, not the owner of the TV. i assume the TV mines at a pool the manufacturer or canaan controls as you dont get any coins. so thats not much towards decentralization.. it mines where they point it.

now i can see mining chips in hot water heaters, hot tubs, pools, heated floors etc.. but TVs? just dont see any upside.

maybe they picked TVs because many people have theirs connected to the internet. mine is not, and no TV of mine ever will be (sometimes temporarily for a firmware update but then its disconnected again). but thats likely just me; i use a HTPC for delivering stuff to my TV.
boy130

Activity: 616
Merit: 263

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 10:13:17 PM

I wonder how long until we get mining microwaves? This is funny and smart at the same time, watch TV while you are making bitcoin, does this mean that every house product that spends electricity one day will be mining and paying off their own expenses  Grin Grin, that would be interesting.

I agree with you, that's interesting but my concern is the power usage control on TVs, I think the issue of mining consuming too much electricity would only become worse.
jonemil24

Activity: 448
Merit: 59

imagine me

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 02:17:50 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

now i can see mining chips in hot water heaters, hot tubs, pools, heated floors etc.. but TVs? just dont see any upside.
If this tv will collect data on what we watch, there will be a decentralization of tv ratings. The accuracy of tv rating in my country is B.S, there are two who rates tv audience viewing here, and they both contradict each other.

maybe they picked TVs because many people have theirs connected to the internet. mine is not, and no TV of mine ever will be (sometimes temporarily for a firmware update but then its disconnected again). but thats likely just me; i use a HTPC for delivering stuff to my TV.
Canaan might not be doing good in marketing, they will be needing more ways on how they will sell their miners.
beej

Activity: 476
Merit: 108

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 06:38:43 AM

I agree with you, that's interesting but my concern is the power usage control on TVs, I think the issue of mining consuming too much electricity would only become worse.

I agree, that's always been the problem with mining, aside from the expensive rigs for mining,
the electric bill is something that should be reconsidered. I've always been interested, I tried
it before when I was new to crypto, mining was easy to understand. A mining tv will surely
double the electricity consumption for sure. Let's see how this turns out, it's interesting from
my point of view.
gabchuks
Copper Member

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 12:03:24 PM

Mining tv? This sounds kinda funny. What other mining are we waiting to see?  Ah radio mining or probably wrist watch mining. Many of this mining stuff are just ironic seriously
ClayDouglas

Activity: 104

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 01:56:26 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2018, 05:53:20 AM by ClayDouglas

I love how they say that the TV is powered by artificial intelligence. Such a gimmick, which is such a big part of the crypto world. Like say a made up coin, "Video Game Coin," a crypto specifically made to buy video games. Well you don't need a specific coin to buy video games, and you don't need a tv to mine Bitcoins, when you can buy better TVs or a better ASIC individually.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 03:41:10 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2018, 07:55:51 PM by vapourminer
Merited by paxmao (1)

[...] my concern is the power usage control on TVs, I think the issue of mining consuming too much electricity would only become worse.

I agree, that's always been the problem with mining, aside from the expensive rigs for mining,
the electric bill is something that should be reconsidered. I've always been interested, I tried
it before when I was new to crypto, mining was easy to understand. A mining tv will surely
double the electricity consumption for sure. Let's see how this turns out, it's interesting from
my point of view.

most TVs (and much/most) consumer electronics here in the usa strive for "energy star" ratings, which mean they turn off or enter low power modes after a set amount of time automatically, or do other energy saving things. and for many its a selling point. less power used etc.. i hate it myself, when i turn a device on i expect it to stay on. i have to go through menus on my electronics to override these settings. what a pain.

these TVs sure wont get "energy star" rated lol
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 05:15:26 PM

Could you not just get a few antrouter R4s and use them as a TV stand instead?

I can imagine that the avalon miner they're using at 2.4THs is probably going to be very loud...
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2018, 05:56:10 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

The next stage is for Bitmain to fight back, and to add a TV screen option to their miners
bituperio

Activity: 208
Merit: 13

TRUSTED CARS ICO

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 12:22:12 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

I read some news about implementing mining into household items. In my view, the only realistic possibility is using these for heating, since most mining equipment, ASIC and non-ASIC, are normally power guzzlers with most algorithms. Bitcoin mining is as we all know particularly intensive in energy, so it makes perfect sense. Now, I do see  a safety issue here. While any electric heater may have  short circuits and the like, I tend to trust much less a Chinesse made piece of electronics originally designed for a different purpose.

Just another idea... Could you just plug the miner to your car and use the energy regenerated from the deceleration?
Gleoth

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 29, 2018, 10:43:53 PM

xD this is very funny but this is good only as a curiosity. Even not to consider to buy for mining.
But I give some information I on previous winter use GPU RIG to warm my flat. I sold it but I will buy some old ASIC for this. If I can have warm for free why not (I need to use electricity to warm my flat).
mandoseran

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 07, 2018, 03:24:46 PM

Nicknamed "AvalonMiner Inside", this tool has a processing power of 2.8 trillion hashes per second and is reportedly supported by artificial intelligence (Al) and is able to take voice commands. In contrast, the strongest Canaan mining mine can process 11 trillion hashes per second, the SCMP noted.
Comino

Activity: 182
Merit: 7

No noise. No hustle. Quiet as whisper. Comino.

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2018, 06:04:44 PM

I would a agree, that is a good business solution for the hotels and other similar service providers. But will it be quiet enough? It looks more like a trendy thing than a mining equipment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: