Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:53:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel GPUs in their CPUs  (Read 2404 times)
kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 04:46:49 AM

I have no idea what sort of performance is available but, for example my i3-540 CPU says it has a 733Mhz Intel HD Graphics GPU in it.

Anyone got any idea if these would help with any sort of GPU or CPU mining?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 06:10:13 AM

I have no idea what sort of performance is available but, for example my i3-540 CPU says it has a 733Mhz Intel HD Graphics GPU in it.

Anyone got any idea if these would help with any sort of GPU or CPU mining?

Intel hasn't provided OpenCL support for their GPU and I am not sure if they even use unified shaders.

The gaming performance is very very very very very very bad.  The cheapest crap integrated video from either AMD or NVidia utterly annihilates Intel HD Graphics GPU.

Ballpark figures:
So if someday Intel got off their ass and wrote OpenCL support for their graphics cores ...  AMD slowest on CPU graphic chip (fusion APUs) does about 25 MH/s.  Intel is likely at best half that.  Realisticly give how little Intel seems to care about even decent graphics performance I would say maybe 30% of that is more realistic.   However today performance is exactly 0 MH/s because Intel has no OpenCL drivers for any of their GPUs.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 08:52:57 AM

Intel is quite new to this whole GPU thing. For them, right now, it's good enough if somebody can see the Windows desktop, watch YouTube and play Farmville. And honestly that's good enough for the majority of people buying these systems. Maybe in the future their offerings will improve.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
PLaci1982

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Live long and prosper. \\//,

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 05:06:31 PM

Intel is quite new to this whole GPU thing. For them, right now, it's good enough if somebody can see the Windows desktop, watch YouTube and play Farmville. And honestly that's good enough for the majority of people buying these systems. Maybe in the future their offerings will improve.

They not new, they where on the market (of integrated video cards) over a decade, but they are waaaay obsolete and/or outdated design, waaaaay behind AMD/ATI and nVidia.

Hardware Expert / WinXP, Win7 Expert

1J5oPkyGVdb4mv44KGZQYsHS2ch6e1t4rc
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 12:16:55 AM

Intel has been selling GPU for 20 years.  Intel is the market "leader" in terms of volume.  They sell more GPU than AMD and NVidia combined.  If 20 years of experience hasn't caused them to be innovative I wouldn't start holding your breath now.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 03:42:04 AM

Intel has been selling GPU for 20 years.  Intel is the market "leader" in terms of volume.  They sell more GPU than AMD and NVidia combined.  If 20 years of experience hasn't caused them to be innovative I wouldn't start holding your breath now.

wat?

kano (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 04:08:31 AM

wat?
i.e. they aren't good even though they've been doing it for 20 years.
Don't expect anything different in the near future.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 07:22:38 PM

While that is true, we must also realize that high performing GPU is NOT Intel's core business. This is precisely why it sucked so bad.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: