Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:19:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with 6 R9 290x | BOUNTY 2 LTC!  (Read 969 times)
miner765 (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:56:24 AM

Hello fellow miners. I recently build a rig:

6x Sapphire R9 290x TRI-X (not yet overlocked, trying to make the rig stable first)
ASUS H81 PRO BTC
8GB RAM
2x 1200W PSU
Custom built case (well ventilated)

I am using 13.12 drivers. The problem is that ATI Driver keeps crashing and after that one card goes SICK. I tried switching the cards and slots, so its not the card issue. I am using regular (not powered risers) for this rig. Temperatures stay at 76-78 C.

I tried BAMT, but one GPU gradually goes down in hashrate until it goes to 0 (lol?)

Willing to give 2 LTC bounty to one that actually helps solve the issue.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:51:49 AM

A couple things that may help.
When I had that happen with my driver it turned out to be the intensity was set too high at the default setting.  By lowering it on my cards to between 11 and 15 stopped the driver crash.
The other thing to do is go here and get a full setup code and get it in your config as that helps the cards run correctly when mining.
https://litecoin.info/Mining_Hardware_Comparison
From there you should be up and mining.
If you need further help in tweaking your setup I recommend Swarm and Root and some of the guys on the shoutbox over at LTCRabbit.com as they helped me squeeze the most out of my cards.
I hope this helps you out.

6x Sapphire R9 290x TRI-X (not yet overlocked, trying to make the rig stable first)
ASUS H81 PRO BTC
8GB RAM
2x 1200W PSU

I am using 13.12 drivers. The problem is that ATI Driver keeps crashing and after that one card goes SICK. I tried switching the cards and slots, so its not the card issue. I am using regular (not powered risers) for this rig. Temperatures stay at 76-78 C.

I tried BAMT, but one GPU gradually goes down in hashrate until it goes to 0 (lol?)

hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 05:58:58 AM

ASUS H81 PRO BTC
8GB RAM
2x 1200W PSU

Make sure to update bios of mainboard and make sure you use POWERED risers!

miner765 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 06:37:38 AM

A couple things that may help.
When I had that happen with my driver it turned out to be the intensity was set too high at the default setting.  By lowering it on my cards to between 11 and 15 stopped the driver crash.
The other thing to do is go here and get a full setup code and get it in your config as that helps the cards run correctly when mining.
https://litecoin.info/Mining_Hardware_Comparison
From there you should be up and mining.
If you need further help in tweaking your setup I recommend Swarm and Root and some of the guys on the shoutbox over at LTCRabbit.com as they helped me squeeze the most out of my cards.
I hope this helps you out.

ASUS H81 PRO BTC
8GB RAM
2x 1200W PSU

I have the configs and I am able to get 980 kh if I OC it, but it still crashes. Stock or OC, doesn't matter.

Make sure to update bios of mainboard and make sure you use POWERED risers!

I'll try updating the bios. And regarding risers, I though powered risers are not needed for the H81 since it can burn (melt) them.
nanoprobe
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Traveling in subspace

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 06:51:34 AM

If you're running Windows there is a known problem with the driver timeout settings that some people experience. The following should help.
Copy ALL of the text below and paste it into notepad. Rename the file fix.reg ( or whatever you'd like to name it with the .reg extension) Right click on it and open it with registry editor. You'll be asked if you're sure you want to add this to the registry etc. Answer yes. Reboot you're computer and that should stop the video driver crashes/restarts. Nothing else will be affected by adding this to your registry even if it doesn't work but hopefully this will solve your problem.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Watchdog]
"DisableBugCheck"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Watchdog\Display]
"EaRecovery"="0"

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.
Never look back, something might be gaining on you.
miner765 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:39:43 AM

If you're running Windows there is a known problem with the driver timeout settings that some people experience. The following should help.
Copy ALL of the text below and paste it into notepad. Rename the file fix.reg ( or whatever you'd like to name it with the .reg extension) Right click on it and open it with registry editor. You'll be asked if you're sure you want to add this to the registry etc. Answer yes. Reboot you're computer and that should stop the video driver crashes/restarts. Nothing else will be affected by adding this to your registry even if it doesn't work but hopefully this will solve your problem.

"DisableBugCheck"="1"

"EaRecovery"="0"
Tried it, still crashes Sad
And it's always only 1 card btw. Even if I use 3 cards or 4, only 1 card will go "sick" after driver crash.
alabaster

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:53:06 AM

I don't think 2400W is enough for 6 290x's.

I had two 290xs running off a 860W and it was barely stable. A lot better now on a 1000W.

Anandtech has the 290x hitting 400W on Uber mode.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:57:30 AM

Please post your config and a screenshot of Gpu-z "Sensors" tab of that card, while mining.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
oyvind007

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 08:06:58 AM

ASUS H81 PRO BTC
8GB RAM
2x 1200W PSU

Hi!

Try this OS= http://www.smos-linux.org/

Here is the installation tutorial= http://www.smos-linux.org/installation/

And you can try this CGMiner config file for your Sapphire R9 290x, http://www.smos-linux.org/cfg/sapphire.290x
With that config you will get 900 kh/s, you can get higher hashrate if you overclock of course Wink

2400W is not enough.. The R290x use over 400W for each card. So 400W * 6 = 2400W. You will need more power! Smiley
http://img.gfx.no/1324/1324307/Effektforbruk_.png

Hope this help you! Tell me if you have any problems!

LTC= LRJLYZ8669V9ZHGH1LgSCnCVn5VuAaQXL3
nanoprobe
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Traveling in subspace

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 10:53:51 AM

"DisableBugCheck"="1"

"EaRecovery"="0"
Tried it, still crashes Sad
And it's always only 1 card btw. Even if I use 3 cards or 4, only 1 card will go "sick" after driver crash.

Run the 1 problem card solo and see if it still crashes. May be time for an RMA.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.
Never look back, something might be gaining on you.
xrturbs

Activity: 31

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 01:10:55 PM

Your asking way too much of the motherboard to power 6 cards without the powered risers I'd be supprised if you can run 4 without powered risers, your gonna burnout your mainboard, get some powered risers, and get a Killawatt meter to see what power the rig is pulling from the wall. Also what operation system are u running? if windows you'll be hard pressed running more than 4 cards
miner765 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 02:25:27 PM

ASUS H81 PRO BTC
8GB RAM
2x 1200W PSU

Hi!

Try this OS= http://www.smos-linux.org/

Here is the installation tutorial= http://www.smos-linux.org/installation/

And you can try this CGMiner config file for your Sapphire R9 290x, http://www.smos-linux.org/cfg/sapphire.290x
With that config you will get 900 kh/s, you can get higher hashrate if you overclock of course Wink

2400W is not enough.. The R290x use over 400W for each card. So 400W * 6 = 2400W. You will need more power! Smiley

Hope this help you! Tell me if you have any problems!

LTC= LRJLYZ8669V9ZHGH1LgSCnCVn5VuAaQXL3

I'll try it. But same thing happens for 3 or 4 cards also. So I don't think it's the issue..

Run the 1 problem card solo and see if it still crashes. May be time for an RMA.

It's not a specific card or slot. The switched them around, also tried config of 3 100% working cards. Same story.
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:29:54 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 03:45:58 PM by gtraah

keep searching bro I am a bit busy but the key is Modded 290x/290 drivers 7x GPU win 8   <<< Google and check out the litecoin link   and custom installing them yourself.. I have 6 x 290x running on 1 mobo and I also tried 7 x GPU's and it also works but it was a temp test I am using win 8.

Went my custom built rack arrives ill have 2 x MOBOs 5 x PSU - 1 average x 600w(only cause it was free)  just to power 1 x mobo and peripherals and 2 x 1000w Corsair GOLD. 2x MOBO wiill have 2 x 1200 GOLD CORSAIR I also have proper Add2psu switches not that cheap ATX cable splitter.

Win 8 Modded drivers 14 x 290x GPU's + 2 MOBOS - 1 x Big BANG MSI M77 & 1 x Fatality Killer Asrock Z87 Each handle 7 x GPUS and dont neeed High level CPU's

BTW I can confirm 2000 watt is fine for 6 x 290 ALl I have done is added --gpu-powertune -4 and its sitting on 2000-2010 but because I am using gold Corsair I am comfortable with that as 1000watt is not there max they always leave a buffer and 10-20 watt is WAY below there buffer. 2400w 100% will work with 7 x 290x

If no one believes me Ill post pics put it this way 1 x mobo ram, cpu & 3 290x = 1050-1070watt add another 1000w and you will be able to put another 3 no worries. Remember decrease powertune a touch

by followinf my google search tips this should DEF fix your issue:

Lear7b2eFHLCTncii4QrYY3qA3ZSkSgSEy

Wink

PS: we are talking about WIndows not allowing 6x GPUS right? (Code 43) issue, meaning Bios Detects them all? If Bios doesn't then its another ball game, you may need to shorten the Pins OR the Motherboard may not handle it Like the G45 cannot handle 7 x GPUs even though it has 7 PCIE slots. You need to research on the mother board. For example the bing bang MSI m77 MOBO will only handle 6xGPUs if you dont use a 3rd Gen CPU or above. With the 3rd GEN CPU it will handle 7 PCIE Smiley
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:55:42 PM

In continuation to the above post of mine ^^^^^  One more thing YES YOU NEED POWERED RISERS UNLESS YOUR MOBO HAS A DEDICATED PLUG TO CONNECT THE POWER TO THE PCIE, LIKE THE MSI BIG BANG AND OTHERS...
miner765 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:58:55 PM

keep searching bro I am a bit busy but the key is Modded 290x/290 drivers 7x GPU win 8   <<< Google and check out the litecoin link   and custom installing them yourself.. I have 6 x 290x running on 1 mobo and I also tried 7 x GPU's and it also works but it was a temp test I am using win 8.

Went my custom built rack arrives ill have 2 x MOBOs 5 x PSU - 1 average x 600w(only cause it was free)  just to power 1 x mobo and peripherals and 2 x 1000w Corsair GOLD. 2x MOBO wiill have 2 x 1200 GOLD CORSAIR I also have proper Add2psu switches not that cheap ATX cable splitter.

Win 8 Modded drivers 14 x 290x GPU's + 2 MOBOS - 1 x Big BANG MSI M77 & 1 x Fatality Killer Asrock Z87 Each handle 7 x GPUS and dont neeed High level CPU's

BTW I can confirm 2000 watt is fine for 6 x 290 ALl I have done is added --gpu-powertune -4 and its sitting on 2000-2010 but because I am using gold Corsair I am comfortable with that as 1000watt is not there max they always leave a buffer and 10-20 watt is WAY below there buffer. 2400w 100% will work with 7 x 290x

If no one believes me Ill post pics put it this way 1 x mobo ram, cpu & 3 290x = 1050-1070watt add another 1000w and you will be able to put another 3 no worries. Remember decrease powertune a touch

by followinf my google search tips this should DEF fix your issue:

Lear7b2eFHLCTncii4QrYY3qA3ZSkSgSEy

Wink

PS: we are talking about WIndows not allowing 6x GPUS right? (Code 43) issue, meaning Bios Detects them all? If Bios doesn't then its another ball game, you may need to shorten the Pins OR the Motherboard may not handle it Like the G45 cannot handle 7 x GPUs even though it has 7 PCIE slots. You need to research on the mother board. For example the bing bang MSI m77 MOBO will only handle 6xGPUs if you dont use a 3rd Gen CPU or above. With the 3rd GEN CPU it will handle 7 PCIE Smiley

I didn't modify the drivers but switched around the power cables and 2 GPU's seem to be stable now. Therefore, another issue appeared. Windows won't recognize cards from PSU 2 (I'm going with 4 for now, 2 to each PSU). My setup is as follows:

PSU1 - Mobo, Molex, 2x GPU
PSU2 - 2x GPU

Cards from PSU2 are not seen. I do have a 2PSU connector and I'm using it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If multiple people contribute, I will divide the bounty between them.

p.s. i don't need powered risers since my mobo has additional molex
miner765 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 06:05:43 PM

Nevermind I got it working. Now 3 look pretty stable. But if I add a 4th - it goes sick. Connecting 2 GPU to PSU1 and 2 GPU to PSU2...
miner765 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 09:28:55 PM

Same thing with 4-5-6 cards. 1 HAS TO go SICK. And switching cards around don't help. One thing I noticed in GPU-Z is that watt usage jumps 30-100-280 and back and forth. Please help.
miner765 (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 04:22:41 AM

Ok, looks like I can get all six running once I set -I to 19. If I put it to 20, driver crashes. What may be the reason?
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 04:24:23 AM

Ok, looks like I can get all six running once I set -I to 19. If I put it to 20, driver crashes. What may be the reason?
Perhaps the massive # of calls per second to the driver trigger an internal bug, if you use high intensity with so many cards. Nice that you solved it with -I 19. Keep it, you will probably get higher Work Utility and less stales anyway.

██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
miner765 (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 04:41:02 AM

Perhaps the massive # of calls per second to the driver trigger an internal bug, if you use high intensity with so many cards. Nice that you solved it with -I 19. Keep it, you will probably get higher Work Utility and less stales anyway.

Yeah, but the hash rate is now lower... Looks like when I'm trying to pull some "juice" out of the cards, they don't get enough power and crash. I also see something like 30-150-300-30-150-300 W jumps in GPU-Z. Maybe it is the unpowered risers for such powerful cards issue?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: