Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:04:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Formatted phone, 2FA locked out from exchanges  (Read 686 times)
ggc1ose (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 10:37:38 AM

Is there any way to get around this? There don't seem to be logical implications for this to happen, why can't I log back in my google auth account like my google account in my phone after I format it. I mean its the same hardware ID, and even if its stolen its the same google account too!

I tried looking for the settings file for the auth app in phone memory/android but couldn't find it.

TLDR;
So basically my question is, is there a way to get around getting locked out of every damn exchange every time I try out a new ROM or format phone?
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 02:06:42 PM

Backup the QR code or the alphanumeric code that you get when you set up 2FA. Alternatively, you can use backup software for your phone to backup the apps settings.

Google Authenticator, despite being a Google app, is not synced with your Google account (which would be a major security vulnerability if it were).
exocytosis

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:16:10 PM

I sorta have a similar question, so I guess I might as well just post it in this thread:

Is there any way to backup my Windows Authenticator app? (In case my phone is destroyed/lost, etc.) I heard there were printable backup codes for the Google Authenticator app, but haven't found anything similar for the Windows Phone version.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 09:33:01 PM

This is pretty much a very well written summary of your options. There are more than one:

http://www.howtogeek.com/130755/how-to-move-your-google-authenticator-credentials-to-a-new-android-phone-or-tablet/

ponchoman

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 07:03:37 PM

+100 what s/he said.

Backup the QR code or the alphanumeric code that you get when you set up 2FA. Alternatively, you can use backup software for your phone to backup the apps settings.

Google Authenticator, despite being a Google app, is not synced with your Google account (which would be a major security vulnerability if it were).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: