Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:40:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Backing up & Restoring transaction/address comments?  (Read 787 times)
Automatic (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:33:13 AM

I use Armory to comment all of my transactions, and, honestly, without it (I.E. if it got corrupted) I'd be fucked, I'd have no idea what was for what (And thus cause privacy, and other, issues for myself).

Due to my concern, I wish to be able to backup and restore my transaction and address comments, I understand I can use the "Export transactions" option to export my transactions, which, includes my notes, but, there's no way to reimport them (Either on another computer, or, in the case of a reinstall/corruption of Armory/operating system, the same computer). So, basically my post is for a feature request to be able to import and export of comments (And preferably also a CLI option to do this, so I can script a dump every week or something).

Yes, I realize that the specifications are public (Click me), and, I could implement something to parse them myself (Which, I probably will do a bit later), but, I still will only be extracting the transactions, importing them back in will probably require me to actually learn the qwerks of the wallet format.

EDIT:- Also, what'd be really cool, but, probably require a bit more work than really is required, is that users could run their own open source server just for their computers, and, whenever you mark a transaction's comment, it's synced with the server. Whenever another one of your computers hops on, it can grab all the transaction comments from there, so, where ever you are (Assuming you're using Armory), you could work out what is for what.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 01:33:12 PM

We could add something like that easily to the new wallet recovery tool. I'll run it by Alan. As for the server part, there are some plans for this kind of functionality (syncing wallets)

With the wallet recovery tool addition in 0.91, a change has been made to wallet restoration (from paper). If the wallet you are trying to restore is already loaded, instead of refusing to process any further, Armory will now rip all meta data from the currently loaded wallet to add to the restored one.
This means you can use a digital copy of any of your plain/encrypted/watching only wallets, load it in Armory, then restore from paper on top it, and have all your comments, labels and proper chain length added to the restored wallet.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: