Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:03:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Macbook stolen in 2010! 1200 BTC on it! HELP!  (Read 6542 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 10:56:11 PM

If who ever has my Macbook wiped my HDD is there anyway the coins can still be retrieved Huh
No. Not if it's been overwritten. Even if the file has been deleted, subsequent use will overwrite those free blocks with new files. In a timespan of more than three years the chance seems tiny, and that is assuming you ever locate the laptop again, which seems frankly ridiculous.

Your best bet is the cloud storage.

not sure wtf one may think I'm up to here...
It's more than enough lolz for some permavirgin troll to start a thread as stupid as this and then after some amount of posts have been accumulated go, "HAHA OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I TROLLED U ALL SO BAD" and show the link to all of his permavirgin friend.

It happens every day.

I don't currently believe you myself, but it doesn't invalidate anything I've said.
I am starting to believe OP may be trolling. Elementary questions are being asked, to which the answer is quite obvious.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Trance (OP)

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 10:58:09 PM

http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/

This site is pretty trusted and good at what they do.

The owner/people working there only take 5-10% of your wallet value when they recover it. Look there.

The owner was on reddit some time ago and helped a lot of people that same day recover some lost wallets.
Cool, you didn't even bother to read the thread.

Ive bookmarked this for further review~

So nobody knows if Apple can somehow track my Macbook? I've read about customers that have tracked their own Mac's (but only when they Mac was being used a server and they had remote access already existing)

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
Trance (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:02:06 PM

If who ever has my Macbook wiped my HDD is there anyway the coins can still be retrieved Huh
No. Not if it's been overwritten. Even if the file has been deleted, subsequent use will overwrite those free blocks with new files. In a timespan of more than three years the chance seems tiny, and that is assuming you ever locate the laptop again, which seems frankly ridiculous.

It's more than enough lolz for some permavirgin troll to start a thread as stupid as this and then after some amount of posts have been accumulated go, "HAHA OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I TROLLED U ALL SO BAD" and show the link to all of his permavirgin friend.

It happens every day.

I don't currently believe you myself, but it doesn't invalidate anything I've said.
I am starting to believe OP may be trolling. Elementary questions are being asked, to which the answer is quite obvious.

Yeah I'm trolling ... that would not even be fun and it would make me look VERY stupid, regardless, I feel stupid and look even stupider. At least one person gave me a website that I can start with in regards to recovery, I was hoping someone can use my Macbooks serial number and info in the box that the purchase came with to track the location of the Macbook. Only a few private messages and each is asking the names of the cloud storage, I'll just delete the post after a day to see if anyone has had a similar situation, I would sleep better knowing the Macbook was either destroyed or that someone made use of the coins.. otherwise this just sucks and I feel utterly retarded but its not my fault I was hit by a car and went MIA for awhile :\ xanax really messes up ones memory!

Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:02:40 PM

http://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/

This site is pretty trusted and good at what they do.

The owner/people working there only take 5-10% of your wallet value when they recover it. Look there.

The owner was on reddit some time ago and helped a lot of people that same day recover some lost wallets.
Cool, you didn't even bother to read the thread.

My bad, only read the first page-ish.
Coinster

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:03:41 PM

So nobody knows if Apple can somehow track my Macbook? I've read about customers that have tracked their own Mac's (but only when they Mac was being used a server and they had remote access already existing)

I heard about that. This is what you're talking about:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393117/Thief-caught-Hidden-app-victim-remotely-controls-MacBook.html
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:06:28 PM

What does it mean african American? What is it ?
It is American who is living in Africa or guy from Africa who is living in America ?

They are rappers who have lots of gold chains and stacks of banknotes and drive big cars with slutty white women in the back. This I learned from television. Wink
Trance (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:08:07 PM

Here are some reasons WHY i was missing in action..

Not sure wtf me showing authenticity of my story has to do with someone giving me tips on how to recover this Macbook :\ but if that helps.. good.

Trance (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:10:22 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393117/Thief-caught-Hidden-app-victim-remotely-controls-MacBook.html

Oh wow this is exactly what I'm talking about, how do i do this???

At DEFCON someone spoke about how they caught someone that stole their Macbook (but this was a server!) mine is a personal computer for school~

Everyone's asking why so late, after years and years, well because I had much more going on and it was not brought to my attention until today.

Noisskal

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:12:00 PM

Wow 2010 ??
Coinster

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:15:35 PM

Oh wow this is exactly what I'm talking about, how do i do this???

Well it needed to be set up beforehand:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2028403/dont-get-apple-picked-how-to-protect-your-mac-from-theft-in-public-places.html
mephke

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:29:45 PM

Question: how did you get 1200 btc back in 2010 to begin with, were you mining already?
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:32:47 PM

Not possible to get back I am afraid.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:35:24 PM

if you know who stole the notebook, try tracking them and the person they gave it too. also go through gmail for cloud storage registration confirmations prior to that event, although i'm not sure how can you be not sure whether you stored it at cloud or not.
Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:40:40 PM

I don't think you are getting that Macbook back if you ask me. Truth is even if you got it back that data is most likely long gone, I know I would wipe a laptop if I bought it from anyone. Then again that is me. Those coins are most likely lost and you will never see them again. Sorry for telling you this. You can try to track it, find who they have sold it to and go from there, but I doubt it will get you far and you will just spend money and time chasing something that is gone. If you do go to police tell them the truth, no need to lie there.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:57:00 PM

If you had Mobile Me and Back To Mac (pre iCloud which started in Oct 2011) turned on and know the appleid then there could be a slight chance it is still connected. Very slight, but it is worth a try.  Likewise, if you had any type of time machine backup set and the wallet.dat file was backed-up, look there.

Your best bet is to figure out what cloud storage service you used, the password etc. and check there.  Likewise, if you have a time capsule or other time machine backup, check those.  Also, if you did have any of the old MobileMe features on, see if they are still active.

If none of those, you'll have to find the machine and hope that it hasn't been formatted IF you can even find it.
Trance (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 12:01:06 AM

It happens every day.

I dont think anyone believing me has anything to do with giving advice towards how one can go about recovering a Macbook~

Just believe that I DO NEED this Macbook back and EVERYONE here can benefit from the recovery of this Macbook!

kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:16:16 AM

If it were me, I would spend the rest of my life tracking down this black drug dealer dude. He's probably sold it to someone else along the way, but you know, money talks. Grease the palms of a few people and maybe you'll get the info you'll need. And don't tell them it's for the bitcoins, give them a sob story about the car accident and priceless family photos, etc.

Once you have it back, try a recovery service, and if you're lucky, it might just work.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
botcoinExpress

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:20:30 AM

dude it's long gone, keep fucking dreaming.. you ain't getting rich overnight you missed that chance
bomb7

Activity: 62

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:21:22 AM

lol

Obvious troll. If you weren`t a troll you would have listened to the advice about the cloud service.

Well, it got some lols
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:43:12 AM

I believe you... try tracking down the guy who stole the MacBook. Then ask him more info about the dealer.

If you think that a drug dealer who accepted a Macbook in exchange for drugs over 3 years ago would still have it you're as deluded as the OP.  Drug dealers accept so many electronic goods as payment that he's not even going to remember who he sold/gave that particular Macbook to even if OP can locate him.

The police aren't going to care about a 3 year old theft either.  Any story the OP tells them about why he's suddenly interested in trying to recover property he did nothing about recovering at the time it was "stolen" is going to sound suspicious, not that the police have the resources to investigate every minor property theft anyway, even if it's reported immediately (normally the main reason for even reporting it is so you can claim it on insurance).

Apple's not going to get involved.  If you didn't report the Macbook as stolen in 2010 then you have no way to prove that you didn't sell it yourself.

I agree with other posters.  OP sounds a lot more like someone who's looking for advice about how to get his hands on something belonging to someone else than someone trying to recover his own property.  Xanax doesn't make you lose your memory for 3 fucking years.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: