Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:33:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Macbook stolen in 2010! 1200 BTC on it! HELP!  (Read 6537 times)
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:46:25 AM

This is some bullshit scam attempt to acquire coins that belong to somebody else. Trance, where's your 2010 account? Lemme guess, you lost the password?

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:56:14 AM

This is some bullshit scam attempt to acquire coins that belong to somebody else. Trance, where's your 2010 account? Lemme guess, you lost the password?

Of course it is.  Must be all that Xanax which makes the OP think his story is plausible.

It's far more likely that he's become aware that someone else had 1200 BTC on a Macbook they lost/sold/had stolen in 2010 and wants to try to recover the Macbook because he realises what they're potentially worth and the person who owned the Macbook doesn't (after all, they weren't worth much in 2010 and lots of people abandoned BTC altogether back then - people even lost interest and deleted their wallets).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Trance (OP)

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:11:38 AM

What a disaster, posting on the forums for assistance only gets you negative feedback! Shows the integrity of the Bitcoin speculators

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:17:06 AM

You actually got the very best advice possible if your situation is genuine. It's more telling about your own character that you can't even be grateful for that.

You only got a healthy dose of mistrust and mockery because your tale is both suspicious and silly.

Still, if it helps you live with yourself to blame it on the mean bitcointalk people…
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:23:23 AM

Some dude boots up a macbook he got for $200 and finds a bitcoin wallet on it......reads headlines about the price of bitcoin.......1+1=BTC rich
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:27:19 AM

Here are some reasons WHY i was missing in action..

Not sure wtf me showing authenticity of my story has to do with someone giving me tips on how to recover this Macbook :\ but if that helps.. good.

You have been living in a Trance, good luck.

Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:37:12 AM

Good luck getting your coins back dude!
repentance

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:44:00 AM

He's got a negative trust rating.  His profile says "founder : CyberDonate".

There's a user new user called CyberDonate who is probably the same person (Trance's profile and CyberDonate's posts both reference Sean's Outpost).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=223942;sa=showPosts

There's a CyberDonate blog (goes back to 2010) and also a CyberDonate Twitter

Want to expand on your relationship to CyberDonate, Trance?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
thddx

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:45:43 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2014, 03:02:54 AM by thddx

As many have stated, the hard truth is that the chances are extremely slim.  It sounds like the possibility of cloud storage is off the table, so the only two chances are:

1) Thief goes to Apple store for repair and it's flagged stolen
2) You physically track the individual

You had also asked if recovery is possible in the event that you recover the laptop and the drive was wiped.  While theoretically possible, realistically it's unlikely.  If the computer has never touched the hands of someone technologically capable, then perhaps it was never wiped, but obviously just finding the computer is your first hurdle.
wickedgoodtrader

Activity: 220

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 04:11:10 AM

LOL that you are pretty much buds with the guy who admits to stealing your laptop. You must be the biggest bitch in the world for someone to tell you to your face they stole your shit.

Obv this is 100% fake though.
repentance

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 04:16:42 AM

LOL that you are pretty much buds with the guy who admits to stealing your laptop. You must be the biggest bitch in the world for someone to tell you to your face they stole your shit.

Obv this is 100% fake though.

And his room-mate - who must have been around years ago to be aware that the laptop had a wallet on it which contained 1200 BTC - hasn't mentioned it at all in the past few years as the price of BTC has risen despite the fact that the room-mate presumably wasn't in a Xanax-induced haze following a car accident.

Of course it would make a little bit more sense (although not much more) if the room-mate did, indeed, pay for the BTC and is now resentful that he's missing out on a potentially big pay day (his own fault for not having control of the wallet himself, if that's the case).

bobalo

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 04:25:34 AM

I'm from Europe.
What does it mean african American? What is it ?
It is American who is living in Africa or guy from Africa who is living in America ?
Anyway... You MacBook is gone forever.
wow i'm from europe and I know what it means,  but you're just way too uneducated , and you made me laugh.
African American = black guy

And wtf OP your friends stole your laptop and you're just okay with it? the fuck's the matter with you?

BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 06:59:52 AM

OP is either trolling or he is looking for something that belongs to someone else. The way he brings this up, the fact that he is a regular poster (and all of a sudden wakes up from his comma) all point towards these directions.

Yeah he's all over the place and keeps adding details every time someone questions why he waited so long.

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 08:55:58 AM

OP: you are either trolling, mentally challenged or you are simply trying to steal some Bitcoins that do not belong to you.

I personally believe it is the latter.

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 09:05:00 AM

Nice try OP but as you can clearly see most of us here are cynical about your story, including me. You lack the proper evidence that would prove your story to be true and most of us aren't complete idiots.
Barek

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 09:24:01 AM

How much were those BTC worth back then? That is the value that you lost.

You could have cheaply replaced the coins back then, but you did not.

bitKnife

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:15:51 AM

good luck!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 10:25:20 AM

4 years ago? I'm pretty sure you won't be seeing that Mac any more.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tclo

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:29:35 AM

Whether you can recover them from your Macbook doesn't matter if you can't get your Macbook back.   Worry about that if you get it back, which is of course very unlikely, bordering on impossible.

If you backed the wallet.dat file up somewhere, then just go get it and enjoy your $ and don't worry about your Macbook.
alphaminers

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:55:19 AM

Pretty sad story  Cry
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: