Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:30:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not to use Internet Explorer?  (Read 1024 times)
oriel2 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 11:01:35 PM

Hope someone can give a newb some help - I have seen many people calling users of IE dumb and saying that they wish people would not use IE - bad security possibly? Someone in another thread lost BTC via a site they used through IE. Can anyone tell me why its bad to use IE?
Thanks
(for info I currently use Chrome)
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:05:49 PM

They probably lost btc because they got infected by malicious software, but as far as I know, there is not a security flaw in IE...
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:08:40 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 11:29:41 PM by yogi

Microsoft drag their heel when it comes to adopting third party technologies, preferring instead to try and promote their own. This leaves IE lagging behind the rest when it come to supported features. This isn't particular to IE either, it's a feature of all Microsoft products.

jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:25:49 PM

I don't know why, but IE seems to be a lot slower than Chrome or FireFox on my Wondows XP machine
Sheldor333

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:28:52 PM

Hope someone can give a newb some help - I have seen many people calling users of IE dumb and saying that they wish people would not use IE - bad security possibly? Someone in another thread lost BTC via a site they used through IE. Can anyone tell me why its bad to use IE?
Thanks
(for info I currently use Chrome)
It is mostly if they use older versions of IE, if they do, they are stupid anyway. It's like using an outdated Chrome (it autoupdates itself). IE newest version is safe just like any other browser. The only difference is for website creators because they have to make their sites compatible with most browsers. If someone got haked it was most likely not due to them using IE.

DanielVG

Activity: 266

I want free lunch, i'm gonna go with this guy.

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:31:46 PM

Microsoft drag their heel when it comes to adopting third party technologies, preferring instead to try and promote their own. This leave IE lagging behind the rest when it come to supported features. This isn't particular to IE either, it's a feature of all Microsoft products.

I don't think microsoft is difficult to 3rd parties.  It is very easy to install your own choices.  IE is just part of that basic start-up version of microsoft, so the absolute IT idiot could even figure out how to send a mail.
How are you going to download firefox or chrome if you don't have a browser on your newly installed windows?
oh, that sounds like a paradox! what came first, the chicken or the egg.
substratum

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:41:55 PM

They probably lost btc because they got infected by malicious software, but as far as I know, there is not a security flaw in IE...

I'm just going to leave this right here... http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/65551
rmines

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:45:08 PM

There are also a lot of very nice and useful addons available for firefox, chrome and opera that aren't for IE such as addblock plus.

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
marcovaldo

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:53:30 PM

There are also a lot of very nice and useful addons available for firefox, chrome and opera that aren't for IE such as addblock plus.

I am using IE and I don't miss those addons.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:56:28 PM

For a whole decade, Explorer was a nightmare for web development. The hours lost on trying to make IE (Internet Explorer) work is probably responsible for billions of dollars lost around the world in compatibility issues, security issues and a whole bunch of problems. For a whole decade, websites existed on two versions: The good version and the patched-n-hacked-because-IE version.

It was a shitty browser, but since it was bundled with Windows XP, it was the most popular browser. In terms of web development advancements, we are probably a good 4-5 years behind simply because of Internet Explorer delaying everything. It took up until the version 10 of IE to become a somewhat interesting browser to consider. All previous versions (9, 8, 7 and the made-by-devil version 6) were always inferior to everything else.

Today, it's an ok browser. But it was bad...really bad. Flash become popular simply because at some point, it was better to develop a website in Flash (and god it's horrible to make a website in Flash) than make it in HTML/JS/CSS and be compatible with IE.

That's why IE has the reputation it has today. Some people(like me) still can't get over their hate for that piece of shit of software.  Wink
miragecash

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 12:40:40 AM

if u use windows, it doesn't matter, cuz you can't completely uninstall IE anyways. IE is full of holes and is dangerous especially if you don't update it because you thought you uninstalled it, not knowing that you didn't because it cannot be completely uninstalled.

use mint linux ubuntu or puppy linux. very user friendly free and not targeted by hackers with less security holes. never had an issue with linux but had to wipe my drive many times due to windows. keylogger virus steal bitcoins and are often embedded in the stupid animated ads you see all over the internet. if you keep btc on your computer, don't use windows. if you use windows, keep your btc on your phone, an UNROOTED phone. If you've hacked or rooted your phone to do cool stuff, don't put more than small pocket change on your phone.

i m a newb but a long time user of bitcoins told me these warnings, which i heed. u should too!
rmines

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 12:43:03 AM

I am using IE and I don't miss those addons.

Your loss. You don't know what kind of goodness you are missing  Wink

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:09:48 AM

How are you going to download firefox or chrome if you don't have a browser on your newly installed windows?
oh, that sounds like a paradox! what came first, the chicken or the egg.

Says who that you have to have a browser to download something? Ever heard of FTPing through the command line?

if u use windows, it doesn't matter, cuz you can't completely uninstall IE anyways. IE is full of holes and is dangerous especially if you don't update it because you thought you uninstalled it, not knowing that you didn't because it cannot be completely uninstalled.

You do realize that you can disable IE completely? Files will still be on your system, but won't be used.
h3rlihy

Activity: 356

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:19:06 AM

IE is just plain awful. Ain't got nothin' on Chrome! Got away from IE when I was about 12 and have never looked back.
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:26:34 AM

because when you would try to write bitcoin took a dive on this forum when it got published bitcoin would already skyrocket back up Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: