Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 09:41:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [VELD] - Veldspar - A new type of coin, trying to solve different problems  (Read 4326 times)
cyberspacemonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 07:32:42 AM

So, the poll posted on Discord was as follows:  (This probably isn't the best place to hold a poll but hey!)

1) Should we stick with the current Fiat style of denomination or move to satoshi style? (0.00 :thumbsup: , 0.00000000 :thumbsdown: ) ?

2) There will be another Blockchain restart, no-one will loose any tokens, does everyone understand this or will I get loads of DM's and Mentions on here (Yes I Understand :thumbsup: , no I need to be banned :smiley:  :thumbsdown: )

You have to think about more than just the perceived value of what you have mined so far when thinking about the next question.  Because just because something is scarce does not automatically add value, there also has to be liquidity.

People HODL'ing really hurts a currency if there is not enough to have movement on exchanges, so wanting only 10MM in circulation will kill everything flat if you want this coin to succeed.  But also you do not want everything to be too numerous either.

With that in mind, would you like the economic target to be (estimated) (all at 0.00 denominations, otherwise far more tokens need to be produced :

1)   100M Veldspar (around 50M Tokens)
2)  500M Veldspar (around 250M Tokens)
3)  1BN Veldspar (you get the point)
4)  10BN, Veldspar
5)  100BN Veldspar
6)  1TN Veldspar
7)  Other(edited)

Oh, i missed this?!

Is the poll still ongoing? I would vote to move to satoshi style denomination and for supply I guess I'm ok with 10BN Veldspar.

Yes it's still open until I feel everyone has had a fair say and put their positions forward.  So is that 10BN + 8dp, would be 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 units. I'd hate to think about the size of the blockchain at that point.  8dp, and 100M feels more sustainable.  But I will take note of your wants.

Maybe I should phrase it as how many tokens should it be likely possible to mine.

Damn, I just didn't take the blockchain size into account, what you're proposing is actually a lot more reasonable then.  

Hey, i'm up for anything.  I love a challenge!

After reading your Medium article, I think it actually makes more sense switching to the fiat style denomination and 100M Veldspar would be best in order to keep the blockchain size small.
editfmah (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 87
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 06, 2018, 03:09:25 PM

Hi, here is the latest news and network plan.  Also has first semblance of economic information and supply etc.
https://medium.com/p/969b942a713d?source=linkShare-c1d186c98e27-1536246452
cyberspacemonkey
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 06:40:16 AM

Hi, here is the latest news and network plan.  Also has first semblance of economic information and supply etc.

Thanks for the update dev, so I'm guessing after the update the new wallet and miner will be available this Sunday right?
editfmah (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 10:09:46 PM

Thanks for the update dev, so I'm guessing after the update the new wallet and miner will be available this Sunday right?

It will be next Sunday, it's too soon to test all the changes that are being made.
bumisei

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 10:14:03 PM

Normally a bounty campaign should start parallel or even before ICO starts, so that you can attract more potential investors. They are still organizing the bounty campaign and the half of the ICO is already finished then.
editfmah (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
September 08, 2018, 10:22:30 PM

Normally a bounty campaign should start parallel or even before ICO starts, so that you can attract more potential investors. They are still organizing the bounty campaign and the half of the ICO is already finished then.

what? wrong thread perhaps?
rgsnedds

Activity: 952
Merit: 17

raskul

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2018, 10:23:02 PM

what? wrong thread perhaps?

i think he was looking for room101.
cyberspacemonkey
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2018, 01:36:55 AM

It will be next Sunday, it's too soon to test all the changes that are being made.

Ok that's understandable, take your time. I'm confident that in due time with all the work you're doing and with the help of the community Veldspar will be a success in many ways.
kostepanych2

Activity: 1274
Merit: 105

View Profile
September 23, 2018, 01:12:56 PM

There were no messages here for two weeks...
How is work going on? Is there any news?
What are the plans for the near future?
cyberspacemonkey
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2018, 01:26:30 AM

There were no messages here for two weeks...
How is work going on? Is there any news?
What are the plans for the near future?

It's been delayed for now, I guess the dev is probably busy doing other things but he's still active and working on an update.
editfmah (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
September 24, 2018, 08:39:01 AM

Yes and no, I am always busy on other things, but actually this has turned out to be quite a bit of work.  And since i'm in that place I decided to make other changes that would help in the future too.  Fixing the build on Ubuntu 18 seemed like a good idea, removing dependencies on uncommon libs etc....

I did also contemplate a re-write into c/c++, but actually as swift support spreads the issues of deployment will go away.

Having discussed the project at great length, there are also other changes we will make.  The whole "design" for exchange mentality needs to stop, as the coins provide no purpose and little benefit for humanity.  The "Ore" system, provides an opportunity to change that and to have real value and reward for humanity, but will not necessarily fit with the ideals of money markets.  But that is all future thoughts.
starkovblue

Activity: 966
Merit: 270

View Profile
September 24, 2018, 11:01:43 AM

If not a secret how many people in the team? Or do you work alone? As it seems to me it is necessary to hire more managers on work with the community otherwise there will be gaps in the answers and in communication. When there are no replies and the team disappears, there immediately appears a fool that the project has closed.

Crypto is a very unique industry, where the line between "deserves to be in jail" and "leading member of the community" is as thin as one-ply toilet paper.
editfmah (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
September 24, 2018, 06:04:37 PM

If not a secret how many people in the team? Or do you work alone? As it seems to me it is necessary to hire more managers on work with the community otherwise there will be gaps in the answers and in communication. When there are no replies and the team disappears, there immediately appears a fool that the project has closed.

It is just me with a couple of extra devs working on things like wallets, API services and some of the P2P network design.  We are always recruiting for more, but it's early days and lots to do.  I think PR is a problem when you have more than a handful of miners to deal with.

I am pretty active on Discord which is our main interface to the world.
cyberspacemonkey
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2018, 12:03:13 AM

Any idea when transactions will be enabled? Maybe it's too soon for this but it would be nice to at least have some otc trading available. 
luksbit

Activity: 1204
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 08, 2018, 12:19:55 AM

From what I read in these last paragraphs in the ANN initial post, can it only be mined on these platforms described? For windows have any position?
cyberspacemonkey
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2018, 12:59:35 AM

From what I read in these last paragraphs in the ANN initial post, can it only be mined on these platforms described? For windows have any position?

You can only run the wallet on linux for now, but there is already a miner that works on Windows.
naura168

Activity: 714
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 08, 2018, 01:08:43 AM

Any idea when transactions will be enabled? Maybe it's too soon for this but it would be nice to at least have some otc trading available. 
if in my opinion, it's better to be activated immediately so that many people have otc trading, sir. if it is too long, fear will be delayed and there will be many obstacles. of course it's very uncomfortable
editfmah (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
October 08, 2018, 08:13:50 AM

if in my opinion, it's better to be activated immediately so that many people have otc trading, sir. if it is too long, fear will be delayed and there will be many obstacles. of course it's very uncomfortable

There has been much re-work of the codebase, transactions have been completed but as of yet we have not made a release to production.  So, there will be another release, along with the much planned re-boot of the blockchain and this will be within the next 2 weeks.

cyberspacemonkey
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2018, 01:06:07 AM

There has been much re-work of the codebase, transactions have been completed but as of yet we have not made a release to production.  So, there will be another release, along with the much planned re-boot of the blockchain and this will be within the next 2 weeks.

That's great! thanks for the update and for all the work you do on the project, it's hard to come by projects that are built from scratch these days.
editfmah (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
October 20, 2018, 08:59:49 PM

Hopefully this will add a bit of perspective and focus.

https://medium.com/@napoleonbonafrog/whats-the-point-why-bother-d04089ea724f
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: