Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:42:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Think of the children!  (Read 1194 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 01:23:33 PM

I've been wondering how secure bitcoin can be for the safety of children. Cash itself can endanger children and debit cards are too inconvenient. Could we develop a form of bitcoin card that can be used like cash by children and yet be easily monitored by their parents? A child can call their parent and a balance can be quickly loaded as needed.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 02:05:31 PM

I've been wondering how secure bitcoin can be for the safety of children. Cash itself can endanger children and debit cards are too inconvenient. Could we develop a form of bitcoin card that can be used like cash by children and yet be easily monitored by their parents? A child can call their parent and a balance can be quickly loaded as needed.

What is the age group of the children you have in mind with this idea?
ThePiachu

Activity: 444
Merit: 307

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 02:27:40 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2011, 05:26:40 PM by ThePiachu

I think BitBills Payee card would be something that would work for that if you want to run it just on Bitcoin network, although taking into account that Bitcoin transactions can take 10 minutes to show up and about an hour before you would normally be able to spend your coins, the kids would loose their patience. So one would require some dedicated service that would hold your bitcoins and allow people to transfer them between accounts without waiting for a couple blocks to be created.

1HWbVLhxj7bhewhyapMZpyhqWAeAhJd51E
My Bitcoin Calculator:
http://tpbitcalc.appspot.com/
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 02:34:04 PM

What is the age group of the children you have in mind with this idea?

Heh, I've know some very immature 16 (17, 18, 19 even) y/o kids that can't be trusted with any real amount of cash. At least if they have to call you before giving them money you would have a better idea what they are planning to spend the money on.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 02:44:30 PM

I think BitBills Payee card would be something that would work for that if you want to run it just on Bitcoin network, although taking into account that Bitcoin transactions can take 10 minutes to show up and about an hour before you would normally be able to spend your coins, the kids would loose their patience. So one would require some dedicated service that would hold your bitcoins and allow people to transfer them between accounts without waiting for a couple blocks to be created.

There is no reason you couldn't keep a normal stipend balance on the card. If the child needs to wait an hour before spending extra money, then thinking an hour ahead would teach some responsibility and reduce impulse buying.

GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 02:55:55 PM

I actually believe that Bitcoin will become the currency of choice among teenagers. 

1) They're tech-savvy, and won't have any issue trying to understand Bitcoin.

2) Having Bitcoins is like collecting things - and kids like to collect things, be the one with "the most," etc.

3) It seems like they ALL have the latest phones.

4) It'll be the new text message.  Instead of sending your friend a message on your phone, you can send him/her 50 cents, a dollar, whatever - make small bets, dares, pay someone back for buying them a Coke because they didn't have any change., etc.

The convenience and the "fun" aspect of using a digital currency vs. traditional cash/change is going to win over kids and teenagers everywhere, and it's a great way for parents to manage their kids' budgets.

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 03:09:02 PM

I actually believe that Bitcoin will become the currency of choice among teenagers. 

I agree, the youngins tend to embrace new technologies, although American children took a long time to catch onto sms messaging and VCDs never caught on. I blame corporate greed for that. Don't wait for a big corporation to setup something like this for bitcoin. It will be a startup or open source team that develops it.

GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 01:47:16 AM

I made a blog entry related to this post, today.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: