Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:07:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Something As Revolutionary As Bitcoin Is About To Emerge, Net Failed To Notice!  (Read 16782 times)
hamiltino (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:50:01 AM

MaidSafe

End To End Encrypted True Peer To Peer Internet, 7 years in development

http://maidsafe.net/

Features:

The MaidSafe vision is to replace today's existing server centric and intrusive systems with a fully distributed, safe, secure and private network. A network with no third party being able to intercept, copy, steal, sell or otherwise access the network’s data.

The MaidSafe platform provides a distributed network that allows developers to create fast and secure applications of any kind. With no API key to be purchased and no infrastructure required, developers are not exposed to any financial risk with significantly reduced customer acquisition costs.

No Servers

No servers = no data centres
100% server security (there are no servers)
Impervious to web censoring (no DNS)
Denial of Service attacks rendered invalid via opportunistic caching - See diagram
Unlimited data storage with no monetary cost and no transactions
No Administrators - Only Users

Network automatically configures and reconfigures in near real time
Privacy and data protection via thousands of algorithms on hundreds of nodes working in tandem
Network decides in real time where data is stored
Data caches close to users in real time
Remove need for network provisioning and planning (hint, computers are better at this than us)
No data centres, so no data centre staff
Data Management Security

Invisible to users, all data is encrypted in real time
Real time data de-duplication, reduces amount of data stored
Real time replication, recovery and corruption repair
Geographic distribution of 'replicant' data (allowing mass network outage at zero loss)
Cryptographically secure signatures and key's ensure ownership
Nobody has access to anyone else's data unless specifically shared
Password and Key Security

100% protection against passwords being stolen in transit (they are never transmitted)
Three (minimum) distinct system areas with separate keys and IDs (no network link between them)
Login to system with username, pin and password
Store, retrieve and manipulate your data with another ID (cryptographic key set)
Communicate with others through another ID
For every private share, another key chain is created and shared
Share any Kind of Data

Create private shares between friends and colleagues (instantly and securely)
Create any number of public shares for public data (thin web sites)
Create micro-blogging systems
Create social networking systems
Share anything, music, programmes, photos, even operating systems with no size limits
Distribute Applications

Allow enormous apps on the smallest of devices
Share processing, storage and memory across the network, distributing each of them automatically
Structured data versioning allows roll back, automatic and manual merging as appropriate to your application

stacking coin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ineedit

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 12:13:10 PM

A step in the right direction, now we need peer to peer client hardware with a decentralised location services. A world without the ISP, cable carrier, get closer but is a long way, away yet.

If I have been help then please show your thanks         BTC: 127PRogAVZiV3fEmpJERh9KemK3a3Ffh6G         LTC: LXghFL8mZffpTFkm2nRTesuDrV5DJQP3Js
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 12:22:09 PM

A step in the right direction, now we need peer to peer client hardware with a decentralised location services. A world without the ISP, cable carrier, get closer but is a long way, away yet.

yeah I  admire meshnet and its goals in getting rid of ISP's.

But the core dev/founder of maidsafe has a few criticisms of meshnet which can be found in this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHtfkvurFM&list=UUhDck5R_C9i6XTrS66tbwOw#t=629

stacking coin
dennisn

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:12:51 PM

Perhaps because it takes time to develop trust in the security of a network? (Which includes trust in the core software, the network and infrastructure, and the core devs.) How long has MaidSafe operated in the wild?

Perhaps because the market is already kindof satisfied with existing solutions? (Freenet, I2p.)

Perhaps because trustless opennet's are doomed by design? (This is why Freenet strongly encourages moving to a strictly darknet friend-to-friend model.)
skywave

Activity: 420

"to endure to achieve"

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:26:46 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2014, 01:53:31 PM by skywave

WOW - just watched the video - looks awesome!
I guess governments are already looking into how they can snoop - or block this?
Well done to the developers indeed!

edit: and interesting to follow the outcome of the problem discussed in the video from the dev meeting in September 2013

Radix - Just Imagine  Financial Freedom   ...coming soon, to a network near you...!
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:37:00 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2014, 01:57:25 PM by hamiltino

Perhaps because it takes time to develop trust in the security of a network? (Which includes trust in the core software, the network and infrastructure, and the core devs.) How long has MaidSafe operated in the wild?
All the code is open source. MaidSafe has mostly done in house testing but you can download and build the code to see it all working.
Tutorials are going to be rolled out very soon:  

"We are showing some examples in tutorial we have started,
These will be!
1: Will show a Dropbox type solution (will start and hopefully complete this month Feb 2014)
2: Will be secure messaging
3: Video provisioning system (i.e. youtube)
4: Fully distributed websites with no ability to ddos or close. Perfect for Wikileaks and in our opinion everyone!
5: Show secure websites where you can join with no username or password (your id creates keys for that site and auto authenticates)
6: Browser and/or plugins to traverse the decentralised web. (we would prefer others did this tutorial)
Anyone can take these tutorials, create a business and give the code away, charge for the service, whatever they can create and however they want to create it, it's 100% their choice.
As for the rest, well we think the people out there will come up with amazing new technologies that will bewilder us all."

Perhaps because the market is already kindof satisfied with existing solutions? (Freenet, I2p.)
i2p is not a server-less solution, it operates similar to the tor network hence its slow, not very scalable, websites can still be seized and ddosed
Freenet, if you have ever tried it is extremely slow and not completely anonymous.

Maidsafe answer to that in their FAQ:
What makes MaidSafe stand out from other projects that promise a decentralized Internet (BitCloud, Meshnet, Freenet, etc.)?

We differ from many of the organisations and products in our space as we have the decentralized Internet at the core of our design. Some of these projects are currently trying to add components that bend them into the shape of a decentralized Internet, but this is not what they were designed for. As a result, many of these projects require significant set up and only work on certain platforms. It is worth noting that MaidSafe supports any project that backs a decentralized Internet, however we don't see any with the same vision as MaidSafe: Privacy, Security and Freedom for everyone!

Perhaps because trustless opennet's are doomed by design? (This is why Freenet strongly encourages moving to a strictly darknet friend-to-friend model.)
Thats an issue with encryption and security and not with the concept of a decentralized internet.

Let me also end by saying look how popular bitcloud is compared to  maidsafe, maidsafe does not get anywhere near the amount of recognition amongst the internet community. Bitcloud has barley even started development.

stacking coin
mdotstrange

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 02:15:23 PM

Really awesome looking project! Thanks for posting.
DeeSome

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:17:37 PM

Isn't there still a need for an ISP to get traffic onto the network?
skywave

Activity: 420

"to endure to achieve"

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:25:59 PM

Isn't there still a need for an ISP to get traffic onto the network?

AFAI remember David (the dev from the SEP2013 meeting) mention that somewhere during the session, that you basically need the ISP only to be online. As now in principle. I wish the audio had been a bit better, was hard to catch all he said being a non-English speaker myself.

Radix - Just Imagine  Financial Freedom   ...coming soon, to a network near you...!
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:43:25 PM

This looks amazing. I wonder how long files are stored? Is it like freenet? The potential of data de-duplication in distributed networks is massive. Can't wait to see this in action.

practicaldreamer

Activity: 770

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:46:17 PM

Thanks for posting - this is very interesting stuff.

It kind of compliments BTC very well also  Wink
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:51:22 PM

"MaidSafe will do for data what Bitcoin does for trade"
Together we will rule the galaxy as father and son Cool

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:56:35 PM

I think as the internet is getting walled up, this kind of project is going to get stronger. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Ichthyo

Activity: 602

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:02:04 PM

nice try.

now tell me: why should anyone put money into infrastructure or act as ISP, if the ability to make money by selling one's customers is taken away?
nanonano

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:11:44 PM

All the code is open source.

More importantly it's GPL3 + commercial license, leading me to believe they require copyright assignment. That's a basically death sentence to a library.

hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:23:19 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2014, 03:51:47 PM by hamiltino

nice try.

now tell me: why should anyone put money into infrastructure or act as ISP, if the ability to make money by selling one's customers is taken away?

Put money into what infrastructure?

And what do you mean act as ISP?

And what was i trying?

Edit: i think i understand what you are trying to say.

Question 1:

There is no need to put money into any infrastructure, if you want to upload data, you will need to be able to provide the equivalent amount of data to the network. This is in contrast to the traditional method of buying server space.

Question 2:
You do not act as an ISP, you still use the existing ISP you have. You are part of a decentralized network of nodes, if you go offline, the network will not die and data will not be lost as multiple backups are distributed amongst the nodes (although your rank will lower) . You do this if you value freedom, privacy and anonymity.

stacking coin
ineedit

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:29:39 PM

yeah I  admire meshnet and its goals in getting rid of ISP's.

But the core dev/founder of maidsafe has a few criticisms of meshnet which can be found in this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHtfkvurFM&list=UUhDck5R_C9i6XTrS66tbwOw#t=629

Not surprised, peer to peer client hardware with decentralised location services are an exceptionally hard thing to do. It is quite a few years away before it even gets out of the data centre.

If I have been help then please show your thanks         BTC: 127PRogAVZiV3fEmpJERh9KemK3a3Ffh6G         LTC: LXghFL8mZffpTFkm2nRTesuDrV5DJQP3Js
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:44:29 PM

All the code is open source.

More importantly it's GPL3 + commercial license, leading me to believe they require copyright assignment. That's a basically death sentence to a library.

If you are concerned with this theres an open reddit discussion with the dev about licencing here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/opensource/comments/1yatpz/maidsafe_uses_proprietary_licensing_and_a/

stacking coin
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 04:30:15 PM

I've been reading a bit about this and from what I can tell it's essentially just a complex P2P storage system, I cannot see how it will offer the ability to create actual dynamic websites without a server. I'm not exactly sure why it would be so much better than existing platforms. Tribler for example is essentially a completely decentralized torrent network which offers a good deal of privacy and advanced techniques for rewarding those who share their bandwidth and disk space. Honestly Bitcloud seems much more interesting to me...

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
DeeSome

Activity: 378

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 05:16:24 PM

nice try.

Put money into what infrastructure?

And what do you mean act as ISP?

And what was i trying?

Edit: i think i understand what you are trying to say.

Question 1:

There is no need to put money into any infrastructure, if you want to upload data, you will need to be able to provide the equivalent amount of data to the network. This is in contrast to the traditional method of buying server space.

Question 2:
You do not act as an ISP,you still use the existing ISP you have.[/size][/size] You are part of a decentralized network of nodes, if you go offline, the network will not die and data will not be lost as multiple backups are distributed amongst the nodes (although your rank will lower) . You do this if you value freedom, privacy and anonymity.

In which case all the talk about privacy is moot as the ISP has all your traffic records ready to pass on to whoever pays the most surely?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: