Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:04:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Something As Revolutionary As Bitcoin Is About To Emerge, Net Failed To Notice!  (Read 16784 times)
Minbyan

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 07:19:06 PM

Cool.
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 08:35:45 PM

I think the real question here is, how do we earn from it? Cheesy

roede94105

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 09:32:12 PM

I think the real question here is, how do we earn from it? Cheesy

Make a maidsafecoin :p
CC23

Activity: 288

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 09:56:18 PM

Hm. I would like to know more technical details.
Obviously this will use some kind of DHT for routing and finding data? How can it still be fast then (esp. in terms of ping)?
How much overhead will a user experience due to relaying other people's data streams?
How do you ensure only a certain user will be able to access their own account(s), what about the risk of those autologin credentials getting stolen via regular internet which the machine will obviously still be connected to?

I will answer your Geology questions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=864879
PeFro

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:09:32 PM

there's a great google tech talk on youtube about safemaid... couple of years old but the concepts are well explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLA77zxk-vA
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:14:00 PM

Perhaps because it takes time to develop trust in the security of a network? (Which includes trust in the core software, the network and infrastructure, and the core devs.) How long has MaidSafe operated in the wild?
All the code is open source. MaidSafe has mostly done in house testing but you can download and build the code to see it all working.
Tutorials are going to be rolled out very soon:  

"We are showing some examples in tutorial we have started,
These will be!
1: Will show a Dropbox type solution (will start and hopefully complete this month Feb 2014)
2: Will be secure messaging
3: Video provisioning system (i.e. youtube)
4: Fully distributed websites with no ability to ddos or close. Perfect for Wikileaks and in our opinion everyone!
5: Show secure websites where you can join with no username or password (your id creates keys for that site and auto authenticates)
6: Browser and/or plugins to traverse the decentralised web. (we would prefer others did this tutorial)
Anyone can take these tutorials, create a business and give the code away, charg
e for the service, whatever they can create and however they want to create it, it's 100% their choice.
As for the rest, well we think the people out there will come up with amazing new technologies that will bewilder us all."
[/i]

Perhaps because the market is already kindof satisfied with existing solutions? (Freenet, I2p.)
i2p is not a server-less solution, it operates similar to the tor network hence its slow, not very scalable, websites can still be seized and ddosed
Freenet, if you have ever tried it is extremely slow and not completely anonymous.

Maidsafe answer to that in their FAQ:
What makes MaidSafe stand out from other projects that promise a decentralized Internet (BitCloud, Meshnet, Freenet, etc.)?

We differ from many of the organisations and products in our space as we have the decentralized Internet at the core of our design. Some of these projects are currently trying to add components that bend them into the shape of a decentralized Internet, but this is not what they were designed for. As a result, many of these projects require significant set up and only work on certain platforms. It is worth noting that MaidSafe supports any project that backs a decentralized Internet, however we don't see any with the same vision as MaidSafe: Privacy, Security and Freedom for everyone!

Perhaps because trustless opennet's are doomed by design? (This is why Freenet strongly encourages moving to a strictly darknet friend-to-friend model.)
Thats an issue with encryption and security and not with the concept of a decentralized internet.

Let me also end by saying look how popular bitcloud is compared to  maidsafe, maidsafe does not get anywhere near the amount of recognition amongst the internet community. Bitcloud has barley even started development.

Thanks for posting BitCloud was my first exposure to the idea, however BitCloud seemed way too ambitious.
Are the two ideas exclusive or mutually beneficial?

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
JohnnyPierce

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:43:50 PM

Is this already in operation, how do I sign in?
SBOSS

Activity: 124

Start your Own Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:13:56 PM

I read on one page that they received millions in investments already.

How do I invest?   Huh

[ COINSCLONE  ✔  No programming skills needed    ✔  Liquidity ready   ✔  Earn via Commission
█████████████  CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE SOFTWARE   |    (❪  FREE TRIAL  ❫)
Launch  a  website  like  Binance  or  Coinbase      █     ⚫    telegram    ⚫    whatsapp
atleticofa

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:15:50 PM

How do I invest?   Huh

+1
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:34:36 PM

It's recieved millions in investments? I can't find any informaiton on how to invest.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
SBOSS

Activity: 124

Start your Own Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:36:28 PM

How do I invest?   Huh

+1

I wasn't able to find anything on google.  I think it's something we have to email them about?

Maybe they have collected millions so far but this is a miniscule amount if this thing is later worth billions like Netscape and Mozilla.

[ COINSCLONE  ✔  No programming skills needed    ✔  Liquidity ready   ✔  Earn via Commission
█████████████  CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE SOFTWARE   |    (❪  FREE TRIAL  ❫)
Launch  a  website  like  Binance  or  Coinbase      █     ⚫    telegram    ⚫    whatsapp
Sheldor333

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:40:22 PM

Well it has some problems but I can see that being fixed it is certainly more that anyone is offering at the moment. Wish you all the best!

RGBKey

Activity: 854
Merit: 658

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 12:59:00 AM

How can I run the code on windows?
chilltyperiod

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:08:10 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble with a real practical problem.

Who is going to maintain all the wiring, fibre optics and so on without ISP's doing this?

Who is going to lay down new cables in new areas being built?

In my country, the biggest isps lay down fibre cables in new neighbourhoods and maintain older wiring
by replacing them on time.

If you would create an internet on THEIR cables, they will do whatever they feel they need to, to shut it down and I would have to agree with them.

They paid for the wiring. They built it in cooperation with the government on some places.

If you do not tackle THIS problem, you can hope for a darknet scale adoption at best.

I live in Europe.
hamiltino (OP)

Activity: 644

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:45:59 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2014, 03:43:18 AM by hamiltino

nice try.

now tell me: why should anyone put money into infrastructure or act as ISP, if the ability to make money by selling one's customers is taken away?

Put money into what infrastructure?

And what do you mean act as ISP?

And what was i trying?

Edit: i think i understand what you are trying to say.

Question 1:

There is no need to put money into any infrastructure, if you want to upload data, you will need to be able to provide the equivalent amount of data to the network. This is in contrast to the traditional method of buying server space.

Question 2:
You do not act as an ISP,you still use the existing ISP you have.[/size][/size] You are part of a decentralized network of nodes, if you go offline, the network will not die and data will not be lost as multiple backups are distributed amongst the nodes (although your rank will lower) . You do this if you value freedom, privacy and anonymity.

In which case all the talk about privacy is moot as the ISP has all your traffic records ready to pass on to whoever pays the most surely?

Then explain why Freenet gives you a certain level of anonymity from ISP's, surely?

stacking coin
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:52:14 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2014, 03:16:08 AM by hamiltino

I've been reading a bit about this and from what I can tell it's essentially just a complex P2P storage system, I cannot see how it will offer the ability to create actual dynamic websites without a server. I'm not exactly sure why it would be so much better than existing platforms. Tribler for example is essentially a completely decentralized torrent network which offers a good deal of privacy and advanced techniques for rewarding those who share their bandwidth and disk space. Honestly Bitcloud seems much more interesting to me...

Look at my previous post, where i quote the dev about what is possible with the maidsafe network. Dynamic websites are more than possible.

stacking coin
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:53:13 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble with a real practical problem.

Who is going to maintain all the wiring, fibre optics and so on without ISP's doing this?

Who is going to lay down new cables in new areas being built?

In my country, the biggest isps lay down fibre cables in new neighbourhoods and maintain older wiring
by replacing them on time.

If you would create an internet on THEIR cables, they will do whatever they feel they need to, to shut it down and I would have to agree with them.

They paid for the wiring. They built it in cooperation with the government on some places.

If you do not tackle THIS problem, you can hope for a darknet scale adoption at best.

I live in Europe.

This is not designed to get rid of ISPS, read my previous posts...

stacking coin
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:54:19 AM

How do I invest?   Huh

No investments necessary, this is not about making money, this is about making the internet private. Although they may be crypto-currencies which will live on the network.

stacking coin
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:56:43 AM

Well it has some problems but I can see that being fixed it is certainly more that anyone is offering at the moment. Wish you all the best!

This is not my project, i'm just trying to get this technology to be known by more people.

stacking coin
dirvine

Activity: 63

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:47:22 AM

This is not my project, i'm just trying to get this technology to be known by more people.

And thank you very much for your help. it's great to get so many questions and suggestions. On the Tor issue mentioned above in MaidSafe the IP address is scrubbed on first hop. The other big difference is we stay on the decentralised Internet so don't exist back to servers.

Thanks again folks we will try and make sure the token based system works as well to get rid of any licensing issues and allow people to earn by providing resources to folk who cannot.  I hope MaidSafe becomes unknown and the projects building on it become famous. Most of all I hope our vision is realised and the world becomes more fair. There are additions I am very keen to make and it's outlined here if anyone is interested. http://metaquestions.me/2014/02/10/a-compelling-business-strategy-for-a-fair-world/
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: