Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:20:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: March 2012 BitCon in San Antonio, Texas - News Thread  (Read 12992 times)
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2011, 01:35:18 PM

I'll be there!!!

Great! List of attendees updated.

Still around.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcontilt

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2011, 04:39:59 PM

We will most likely be attending
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2011, 05:00:56 PM

I'll add you to the list.

Will you have an exhibit table as well?

Still around.
btcontilt

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2011, 05:42:32 PM

I'll add you to the list.

Will you have an exhibit table as well?

Yep definitely will be going the exhibit table route.  Our team is spread across Dallas and Houston so this will be a close drive for us. 
crawdaddy

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 06:37:56 PM

I finally have some substantial news regarding the convention to announce.

First, I'd like to thank Seals With Clubs for becoming an official sponsor. Please go play some poker and encourage Freemoney to try to attend the conference in person.

Now, the really big news! You can now check availability and make your reservations with our discounted rate (which includes free in-room internet) at the Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency by using the following links:

Grand Hyatt San Antonio

Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk

Is there a min amount of rooms that need to be reserved? And if so how many do you have so far?

"The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets".
Lysander Spooner
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2011, 07:20:28 PM

I finally have some substantial news regarding the convention to announce.

First, I'd like to thank Seals With Clubs for becoming an official sponsor. Please go play some poker and encourage Freemoney to try to attend the conference in person.

Now, the really big news! You can now check availability and make your reservations with our discounted rate (which includes free in-room internet) at the Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency by using the following links:

Grand Hyatt San Antonio

Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk

Is there a min amount of rooms that need to be reserved? And if so how many do you have so far?

80% of the rooms I have on hold need to be filled. The last day our discounted rate will be available is February 24th. On that day, I have two choices if we still have unsold rooms: I can ask the hotels to extend our cut-off day, or I can release the rooms and hope that they are filled by travellers willing to pay the regular rate.

I'm at work right now, but the last time I checked, no one had made a reservation yet.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 01:49:12 AM

Add me to the list of attendees and exhibitors (Bitcoin Leather by Martin Basurto http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0813_hbkp_hand_tooled_leather_seats/viewall.html)

Is it mandatory to stay at the Hyatt while attending the conference? Also, I can plan on arriving a few days early to lend a hand for setting up or anything else that needs addressing. I can also act as one of your volunteers/liaisons during the convention to make sure the event goes smoothly. I even know how to use a microphone, for I've emceed shows in Nashville for several years. Let me know how I can be of service to help make this a great convention.

Bruno
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 04:44:18 AM

Add me to the list of attendees and exhibitors (Bitcoin Leather by Martin Basurto http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0813_hbkp_hand_tooled_leather_seats/viewall.html)

Is it mandatory to stay at the Hyatt while attending the conference? Also, I can plan on arriving a few days early to lend a hand for setting up or anything else that needs addressing. I can also act as one of your volunteers/liaisons during the convention to make sure the event goes smoothly. I even know how to use a microphone, for I've emceed shows in Nashville for several years. Let me know how I can be of service to help make this a great convention.

Bruno

I added you to the list of attendees above. Reserve your exhibit table and I'll add you to the "official" list of exhibitors.

Staying at one of the Hyatt's isn't mandatory but the block of rooms I have on hold are at a discounted rate and include in-room internet.

There will be plenty to do in the days immediately preceding the event, so I will take you up on your offer to help. Setting up the venue will be taken care of by their staff and each exhibitor will be responsible for their own space; the biggest hassle will be supervising and making sure everyone knows what they can and cannot do and where they can and cannot do it.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 04:59:13 AM

Bruno

I added you to the list of attendees above. Reserve your exhibit table and I'll add you to the "official" list of exhibitors.

Staying at one of the Hyatt's isn't mandatory but the block of rooms I have on hold are at a discounted rate and include in-room internet.

There will be plenty to do in the days immediately preceding the event, so I will take you up on your offer to help. Setting up the venue will be taken care of by their staff and each exhibitor will be responsible for their own space; the biggest hassle will be supervising and making sure everyone knows what they can and cannot do and where they can and cannot do it.

Just want to confirm that the exhibit table spot is only 12 BTC. I'm toying with bringing my own table. Also, what is the discount rate of the rooms? Plus, I'll do whatever you need me to do to help out before, during and after the convention. Just name it, and I'll probably do it.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 05:21:35 AM

Just want to confirm that the exhibit table spot is only 12 BTC. I'm toying with bringing my own table. Also, what is the discount rate of the rooms? Plus, I'll do whatever you need me to do to help out before, during and after the convention. Just name it, and I'll probably do it.

Yep, exhibit table is still only 12 BTC. Don't worry about bringing your own table unless it's really necessary for your display. The Convention Center has plenty and they're included in the price, along with table linen and skirting.

Our room rate at the Grand is $199/night and at the Regency, it's $195/night. If you search online for rooms at these or comparable hotels, you'll find different rates depending on what kind of specials that are floating around out there, but I seriously doubt you'll find anything better. If anyone does find better rates at these or other hotels during that weekend that are available to the general public, please let me know. It has been known to happen and I will be able to re-negotiate the contract armed with that information.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 06:49:13 AM

Yep, exhibit table is still only 12 BTC. Don't worry about bringing your own table unless it's really necessary for your display. The Convention Center has plenty and they're included in the price, along with table linen and skirting.

Our room rate at the Grand is $199/night and at the Regency, it's $195/night. If you search online for rooms at these or comparable hotels, you'll find different rates depending on what kind of specials that are floating around out there, but I seriously doubt you'll find anything better. If anyone does find better rates at these or other hotels during that weekend that are available to the general public, please let me know. It has been known to happen and I will be able to re-negotiate the contract armed with that information.

I just sent 12 BTC to reserve a table spot. Please confirm that received the funds.

I have stayed at Microtels many times, and yet to have a bad experience. Here is a link: https://reservation.magnusonhotels.com/bbe/page2.aspx?checkin=03%2F17%2F2012&nights=2&rooms=1&adults=1&children=0&promo=&corp=&group=&IATA=&Search=Check+Availability&propertyID=8982

Senior and AAA rates are $53.10. I sure do hate taking away $ from Hyatt after they've been so kind to provide a convention venue. I'm sure they won't take it personal, though.

I'm sure that I can get a package deal from them. My dad used to own the original Super 8 in Brookings, SD. Well, at least the building(s) where the first franchise was established, that is. I sure do miss the fishing in South Dakota.
worldly

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 07:11:13 AM

Thanks for sponsoring our event guys.

I was curious how you are going to pay for the convention room with payments of 12 btc for a table.  How many tables do you need to sell to pay for the room?
This was a problem we ran into that nobody paid until the last fortnight but we had to pay the room a month in advance, we had no idea how many people would turn up.

The photo of the convention centre looks like many thousands of dollars a day, how many bitcoin businesses are there?

Hopefully you have all this under control, good luck with your event.

European Bitcoin Conference Prague 2011
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 06:52:47 PM

I just sent 12 BTC to reserve a table spot. Please confirm that received the funds.

I have stayed at Microtels many times, and yet to have a bad experience. Here is a link: https://reservation.magnusonhotels.com/bbe/page2.aspx?checkin=03%2F17%2F2012&nights=2&rooms=1&adults=1&children=0&promo=&corp=&group=&IATA=&Search=Check+Availability&propertyID=8982

Senior and AAA rates are $53.10. I sure do hate taking away $ from Hyatt after they've been so kind to provide a convention venue. I'm sure they won't take it personal, though.

Your BTC has been received and I've added you to the list of exhibitors at the top of the thread.

I'm sure Microtels are nice, but they're classified as "two star hotels" and I can't ask a four star hotel to match their prices. Everyone is free to stay wherever they like - my goal is to provide the best possible experience for every budget.

I was curious how you are going to pay for the convention room with payments of 12 btc for a table.  How many tables do you need to sell to pay for the room?
This was a problem we ran into that nobody paid until the last fortnight but we had to pay the room a month in advance, we had no idea how many people would turn up.

The photo of the convention centre looks like many thousands of dollars a day, how many bitcoin businesses are there?

Thanks, worldly! I really wish I had been able to make it to Prague. It sounds like it was a great event.

I've decided to go with a smaller room at the convention center than the one pictured above. The convention center has been kind enough to agree to charge us only for the space actually used during the convention, but there is a non-refundable minimum amount required up front and it is quite a bit for the large exhibit hall. The smaller exhibit area is still 16,600 square feet and I have a sponsor lined up who has agreed to help me pay for the deposit/minimum.

12 BTC at the current exchange rate is almost exactly enough to cover the cost of the space each exhibitor will occupy. Sponsors and a stronger exchange rate are what I'm counting on to pay for additional expenses like audio/visual, advertising, administrative costs, food, etc.

So, to answer your question, once I get that minimum payment submitted to the convention center, then even if it's only Atlas, Phinnaeus, and myself sitting in a huge empty hall, my losses won't be insurmountable.

Still around.
worldly

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 07:08:45 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2011, 07:54:30 PM by worldly

Thanks, worldly! I really wish I had been able to make it to Prague. It sounds like it was a great event.

I've decided to go with a smaller room at the convention center than the one pictured above. The convention center has been kind enough to agree to charge us only for the space actually used during the convention, but there is a non-refundable minimum amount required up front and it is quite a bit for the large exhibit hall. The smaller exhibit area is still 16,600 square feet and I have a sponsor lined up who has agreed to help me pay for the deposit/minimum.

12 BTC at the current exchange rate is almost exactly enough to cover the cost of the space each exhibitor will occupy. Sponsors and a stronger exchange rate are what I'm counting on to pay for additional expenses like audio/visual, advertising, administrative costs, food, etc.

So, to answer your question, once I get that minimum payment submitted to the convention center, then even if it's only Atlas, Phinnaeus, and myself sitting in a huge empty hall, my losses won't be insurmountable.

Sure, well my head is still hurting from the conference organising.
Let me know if you need any help, we learnt a lot this time.

European Bitcoin Conference Prague 2011
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 07:28:49 PM

You will certainly be getting some PM's from me!  Cheesy

Still around.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 07:32:33 PM

I might be there, if I can get time off of work and scrape together some gas money.

Mousepotato
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 01:35:22 AM

Sure, well my head is still hurting from the conference organising.
Let me know if you need any help, we learnt a lot this time.

I'm sure, edd, worldly will have a wealth of information to provide you to make sure the SA convention goes smoothly.

Your BTC has been received and I've added you to the list of exhibitors at the top of the thread.

I'm sure Microtels are nice, but they're classified as "two star hotels" and I can't ask a four star hotel to match their prices. Everyone is free to stay wherever they like - my goal is to provide the best possible experience for every budget.

So true, in re. not asking a 4* to compete with a 2* chain. I just realized that the link I provided above was for Micro Inn and not Microtel. I'm already in the process of getting a group rate from, them. During the course of the conversation, I was able to secure a $100 off-type-coupon good for my next Microtel stay. If anyone else wants the same deal, all they have to go is stand on top of Rassah's coffee table donning evoorhees's costume and ask me nicely. I may be inclined to forego two of those steps, but you decide.

Also, edd, I went and sent 2.5 BTC to be a sponsor. Please verify that you received those funds, as well. I'll forego the link to Bitcoin Leather at this time.

Bruno
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 02:02:51 AM

Bruno/Phinnaeus, the funds have been received and I went ahead and linked your user name to your profile here on the Credits Page. Just give me the word and I will link it to wherever you like or leave it link free.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 03:32:08 AM

Bruno/Phinnaeus, the funds have been received and I went ahead and linked your user name to your profile here on the Credits Page. Just give me the word and I will link it to wherever you like or leave it link free.

You, and everyone else, can call me Bruno.

Thank you for the confirmation.

Like I've already stated, I'm planning on being in San Antonio days leading up to the convention and one or two days afterwards. I'll follow up with that Microtel info when it comes available. I look forward to receiving a call from them tomorrow.

Don't sweat the turnout. I'm confident that we'll have at least 100 people in attendance. It won't be just you, me and Atlas playing Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapcKVn7DdY
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 03:33:35 PM

I am tentatively planning on attending.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: