Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:58:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: March 2012 BitCon in San Antonio, Texas - News Thread  (Read 12992 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 03:57:43 PM

edd

Is there a charge for attending the conference and setting in on the Bitcoin Talks? What the hell did I just write? Bitcoin Talks. Hmmm! First annual Bitcoin Talks, featuring speakers versed in all things Bitcoin???
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 06:04:29 PM

edd

Is there a charge for attending the conference and setting in on the Bitcoin Talks? What the hell did I just write? Bitcoin Talks. Hmmm! First annual Bitcoin Talks, featuring speakers versed in all things Bitcoin???

There will be no charge for attending the talks or exhibits; entrance to the convention center will be absolutely free. I am counting on exhibitors, sponsors, donations, and merchandise sales to cover expenses. I'd like this event to be an introduction to bitcoin for San Antonio and Austin and I plan on doing my best to saturate the area with advertisements in the days leading up to it. So remember, sponsors - the bigger your contribution, the bigger your presence!

By the way, I've updated the list above to reflect the newest exhibitor and sponsor, Cryptoanarchy.com!

Still around.
tbdunamis

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 05:52:44 AM

I'm going to make it a point to attend.
ALPHA.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 05:55:23 AM

edd, I suggest you give Ron Paul a shot on his campaign site for being a speaker. Try to sell him on Bitcoin. I would but it has a preference for event owners.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 06:08:14 AM

I'm going to make it a point to attend.
I'll update the list!

edd, I suggest you give Ron Paul a shot on his campaign site for being a speaker. Try to sell him on Bitcoin. I would but it has a preference for event owners.

Guess it can't hurt to ask.

Still around.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 10:35:06 AM

Would anyone object to an individual paying fees to the convention and setting up a booth to promote voting for US presidential hopeful Ron Paul? I was also hoping to get a speaker to talk about the importance of ensuring government keeps its hands off the Internet and Bitcoins as a competing currency. Paul's come out in favor of competing currency, ending the Federal Reserve system mucking up the USD, and supports Internet anonymity (going so far as to support Wikileaks while most other politicians were seeking to execute Manning & Assange).

I think it's very reasonable not to want to skew the convention as supporting a political candidate, but I'm sure there will be enough sponsors there to not give off that impression. Again, if there is strong objection in the community toward either having a speaker there promoting Ron Paul, or even a booth, I will not book a spot - but if you guys are comfortable with it, I'd love to send a person or two over to talk about him and pass out literature.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 06:20:50 PM

Okay, people, I'm still working on the final program and don't want to make any announcements without having firm commitments from speakers but it's finally coming together.  Cheesy

But the main reason for this post is that I received a few nervous calls and emails from the hotels I've booked. It seems that no one has made a reservation yet!

I explained that attendees of the Prague conference didn't register until the last minute, but I'm afraid that did little to assuage their concerns. As mentioned on the website, these rooms will only be held until February 17th, however, if no reservation is made soon and the hotels feel that we will not use them, I must give them the opportunity to sell them elsewhere. This will be a very busy time in San Antonio, after all.

If you're on the fence, here are some other reasons to take a vacation to San Antonio over St. Patrick's Day weekend:

So please start making your travel plans and book your room before it's too late.

Still around.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

I, for one, see that you're doing your best to make this endeavor a go. Since the date is fast approaching, I suggest you continue to bump this thread, adding as much info as possible daily. Keep sticking it in our face, so to speak. Slowly, but surely, users will come on board. I envision at least a couple cabbies providing their services via accepting Bitcoin, if that helps any. At the risk of being funny, Atlas could redeem himself if somehow he was able to get some bar or restaurant on board into accepting Bitcoin, for he lives in the neighborhood--Texas.

I'm sure the results of this convention would rival the NYC one, but the recent Prague Convention has set a nice bar to reach.

~Bruno~
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 06:43:34 PM

I am planning on attending.  Should be fun.  Just a hop skip and a jump from Colorado.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 07:34:56 PM

I am planning on attending.  Should be fun.  Just a hop skip and a jump from Colorado.

So you're the snow hog!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 12:55:45 AM

Wow, that's quite a list of activities. SXSW alone is worth the trip.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 01:04:28 AM

Wow, that's quite a list of activities. SXSW alone is worth the trip.

Yeah, there's plenty of reasons why this is a great convention town, especially in the spring.  Cheesy

Still around.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:08:05 AM

What's the expected date of this con?

I plan on going, setting up a booth, and dancing on it.

No actually I might be bringing a new invention of ours from DCAO initiatives, something that will blow your Texan gallon hats off (which isn't too hard given the wind resistance they create).

How much is a booth again?

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 01:34:00 AM

No actually I might be bringing a new invention of ours from DCAO initiatives, something that will blow your Texan gallon hats off (which isn't too hard given the wind resistance they create).

The booth is cheap. I already have one for Hand Tooled Leather Wallets.

This is going to be the best Bitcoin convention ever! Why? For the live show:

ATLAS meets MATTHEW
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:38:55 AM

The booth is cheap. I already have one for Hand Tooled Leather Wallets.

This is going to be the best Bitcoin convention ever! Why? For the live show:

ATLAS meets MATTHEW

I'm surprised you think his electric dog collar force field would go that far.

I'll look up the prices for a table. I'm trying to get some of my crew to go too but flying out of Korea myself is going to be hard enough on 2 months notice.

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 02:47:44 AM

March 17-18, St. Patrick's Day weekend. Exhibit table is 12 BTC and a hotel room in our block is $195 - $199 a night, depending on which hotel you choose.

http://www.bitcoinconvention2012.com/

Still around.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:45:46 PM

I had intended to go, but had some stuff come up.  I'd still really like to, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.

I should know for sure before too long.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2012, 03:13:50 AM

I have made my travel arrangements!  Looking forward to it. 

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 08:24:13 PM

Hey,

The sites down, any update on this?

I'd like to attend and possibly be a speaker or get a booth

Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 09:43:55 PM

Hey,

The sites down, any update on this?

I'd like to attend and possibly be a speaker or get a booth

Charlie

If you get to be a speaker, I want to be a microphone, so that I can blow you. </gay>

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: