Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:31:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: March 2012 BitCon in San Antonio, Texas - News Thread  (Read 12972 times)
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 09:45:07 PM

Hey,

The sites down, any update on this?

I'd like to attend and possibly be a speaker or get a booth

Charlie

If you get to be a speaker, I want to be a microphone, so that I can blow you. </gay>

I'd be speaker to your microphone any day Matt </gayer>

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 04:59:27 AM

Hey,

Charlie

If you get to be a speaker, I want to be a microphone, so that I can blow you. </gay>

I'd be speaker to your microphone any day Matt </gayer>

Can I get in on some this action, or is this only for an upcoming show?
99Percent

Activity: 402
Merit: 100

🦜| Save Smart & Win 🦜

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 04:41:19 AM

I am probably attending.

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 07:49:38 PM

Hey,

Charlie

Yes, I'm afraid there's some bad news. As you may know, BTCinch is shutting down and they were partnering with this endeavor.  I'll be updating the site with a new payment processor soon, as well as with some new information regarding hotels and venue. You see, the hotels I blocked rooms at did not receive a single reservation and I can't afford to pay for the minimum number of required room nights out of my own pocket, so I relinquished the hold on the rooms and the Group Rate will no longer available. Feel free to make your reservations at any hotel/motel you wish, but there will be no discount for attendees of the Bitcoin Convention unless someone with deep pockets steps forward to pre-pay for some rooms.

Speaking of deep pockets, I have more bad news. The company that originally agreed to front some of the money for the deposit at the Convention Center (not BTCinch) has not responded to any of my PM's or emails in weeks. Consequently, I've also released the hold on the exhibit space at the Convention Center. If you'll recall, they were holding much more square footage than we could possibly use with the understanding that we would only be charged for used space and that the deposit was due upon signing the contract and would be non-refundable. Of course, this is another expense I couldn't afford to cover without help.

But all is not lost! I've got some contacts at another hotel across the street from the Convention Center and they have space available to accomodate up to 45 exhibit tables that weekend. This arrangement would be more straightforward: $6,000 USD is necessary up front to book the space and if we outgrow it, we can always negotiate for more. What I need now, is a sponsor willing to come forward and front the money for this space, to be paid back with income from exhibitors in exchange for becoming the savior of the March 2012 Bitcoin Convention. There is no need to send any money to me, simply give me your word you'll pay it to the hotel and I'll work on the contract and put you in touch with the billing department.

If, for some reason this event doesn't happen, I'll refund every single BTC sent to me. (There haven't been many, which is why I'm finding myself in this predicament.)

Still around.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 09:23:33 PM

Hey,

Charlie

Yes, I'm afraid there's some bad news. As you may know, BTCinch is shutting down and they were partnering with this endeavor.  I'll be updating the site with a new payment processor soon, as well as with some new information regarding hotels and venue. You see, the hotels I blocked rooms at did not receive a single reservation and I can't afford to pay for the minimum number of required room nights out of my own pocket, so I relinquished the hold on the rooms and the Group Rate will no longer available. Feel free to make your reservations at any hotel/motel you wish, but there will be no discount for attendees of the Bitcoin Convention unless someone with deep pockets steps forward to pre-pay for some rooms.

Speaking of deep pockets, I have more bad news. The company that originally agreed to front some of the money for the deposit at the Convention Center (not BTCinch) has not responded to any of my PM's or emails in weeks. Consequently, I've also released the hold on the exhibit space at the Convention Center. If you'll recall, they were holding much more square footage than we could possibly use with the understanding that we would only be charged for used space and that the deposit was due upon signing the contract and would be non-refundable. Of course, this is another expense I couldn't afford to cover without help.

But all is not lost! I've got some contacts at another hotel across the street from the Convention Center and they have space available to accomodate up to 45 exhibit tables that weekend. This arrangement would be more straightforward: $6,000 USD is necessary up front to book the space and if we outgrow it, we can always negotiate for more. What I need now, is a sponsor willing to come forward and front the money for this space, to be paid back with income from exhibitors in exchange for becoming the savior of the March 2012 Bitcoin Convention. There is no need to send any money to me, simply give me your word you'll pay it to the hotel and I'll work on the contract and put you in touch with the billing department.

If, for some reason this event doesn't happen, I'll refund every single BTC sent to me. (There haven't been many, which is why I'm finding myself in this predicament.)

wow.   I am fully booked non-refundable for the entire event.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 09:36:08 PM

Hey,

Charlie

I was super excited to attend this event as well.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 11:09:19 PM

Hey,

Charlie

I still plan on doing everything in my power to make this thing happen. If you'd like to help, please reply here or PM me.

Still around.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 02:14:00 AM

Hey,

Charlie

I still plan on doing everything in my power to make this thing happen. If you'd like to help, please reply here or PM me.

If the event is gonna happen, and there is a good turnout that makes it worth it for me to fly out, Id be glad to be a sponsor and/or speaker.

dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 02:39:06 AM

I live in Austin and will definitely be attending.

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 06:58:12 PM

Thanks to everyone who has PMed and emailed me with your suggestions and concerns about this event. The moral support from the community has been overwhelming, however, the monetary support is still lacking.

I'm in contact with several community members and possible sponsors who have expressed interest in helping secure the venue I have in mind (still downtown and centrally located) but they need to see how many of you will be attending. Please reply here with your intentions and feel free to include any caveats you feel necessary.

I live in Austin and will definitely be attending.

Thanks, Dustin! The list has been updated and your sponsorship is also greatly appreciated!

Still around.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 07:28:07 PM

I tentatively plan on attending, barring any unforseen circumstances.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 01:19:21 PM

Is this the only place the BitCon advertisement exists?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 01:25:20 PM

Until I have more definite and confirmed details (venue has definitely changed and dates probably will, too), I've removed most of the advertising I had out there. There are still a couple of threads about it, however.

Still around.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 01:35:59 PM

Until I have more definite and confirmed details (venue has definitely changed and dates probably will, too), I've removed most of the advertising I had out there. There are still a couple of threads about it, however.
I just find it curious that there seems to be such apathy regarding Bitcoin in the USA. There aren't even any meetups in Texas, a state with 20M population. Maybe we should have it in Columbia, there might be more interest there.  Wink

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 01:51:09 PM

I just find it curious that there seems to be such apathy regarding Bitcoin in the USA. There aren't even any meetups in Texas, a state with 20M population. Maybe we should have it in Columbia, there might be more interest there.  Wink

All it would take is to interest one mover-and-shaker in Texas (Austin) into embracing Bitcoin, and you're golden. I've lived in Houston for four years, and I'll tell you that Texans will give most anybody or anything a shot--at least once--but don't mess with Texans, for there's no second chance.

~Bruno~
dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 09:20:16 AM

Honestly, if you're going to have a convention in Texas, Austin or Dallas make far better choices than San Antonio.  Still, as long as it's in Texas I'll likely be there.

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 08:45:32 PM

Any update on this?

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2012, 09:00:43 PM

Any update on this?

Every hotel I've spoken to expects to be sold out over that weekend so I'm now looking into alternate dates.

Still around.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 04:20:37 PM

Any update on this?

Every hotel I've spoken to expects to be sold out over that weekend so I'm now looking into alternate dates.

Personally I don't care if it takes place in an Irish bar with a private room or two, make it happen on the original date for the folks that already bought tickets.  People are counting on you.

I agree. Just get a few dozen people in a room together and let's make the magic happen!

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 04:57:56 PM

Any update on this?

Personally I don't care if it takes place in an Irish bar with a private room or two, make it happen on the original date for the folks that already bought tickets.  People are counting on you.

I agree. Just get a few dozen people in a room together and let's make the magic happen!

I can definitely do that. Finding a venue won't be difficult, especially if the turnout is as small as only a few dozen. Anyone else care to chime in with their opinion? Should I keep the dates and just accept the fact that many bitcoiners won't be able to find rooms?

Still around.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: