Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:58:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: March 2012 BitCon in San Antonio, Texas - News Thread  (Read 12992 times)
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:07:23 PM

Any update on this?

Every hotel I've spoken to expects to be sold out over that weekend so I'm now looking into alternate dates.

Personally I don't care if it takes place in an Irish bar with a private room or two, make it happen on the original date for the folks that already bought tickets.  People are counting on you.

I agree. Just get a few dozen people in a room together and let's make the magic happen!

I can definitely do that. Finding a venue won't be difficult, especially if the turnout is as small as only a few dozen. Anyone else care to chime in with their opinion? Should I keep the dates and just accept the fact that many bitcoiners won't be able to find rooms?

I've never been to San Antonio, but Im assuming any venue you do it at will be in the city within proximity to hotels.

At those dates, I dont think I could make it.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:15:29 PM

Any update on this?

Every hotel I've spoken to expects to be sold out over that weekend so I'm now looking into alternate dates.

Personally I don't care if it takes place in an Irish bar with a private room or two, make it happen on the original date for the folks that already bought tickets.  People are counting on you.

I agree. Just get a few dozen people in a room together and let's make the magic happen!

I can definitely do that. Finding a venue won't be difficult, especially if the turnout is as small as only a few dozen. Anyone else care to chime in with their opinion? Should I keep the dates and just accept the fact that many bitcoiners won't be able to find rooms?

I've never been to San Antonio, but Im assuming any venue you do it at will be in the city within proximity to hotels.

At those dates, I dont think I could make it.

Yes, there are plenty of available venues in the heart of downtown.

Still around.
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:35:32 PM

Ed I would strongly suggest establishing a bitcoin presence at this event, rather than trying to make your own from stratch.

http://sxsw.com/trade_shows/about

It is much more effective to bring 20 bitcoiners to an event like this, with thousands of other people around to talk to, than just have the 20 bitcoiners in a separate event talking amongst themselves.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 05:45:01 PM

Ed I would strongly suggest establishing a bitcoin presence at this event, rather than trying to make your own from stratch.

It is much more effective to bring 20 bitcoiners to an event like this, with thousands of other people around to talk to, than just have the 20 bitcoiners in a separate event talking amongst themselves.

Unfortunately, the trade show is sold out. I'll get in touch with dustintrammell and see about maybe meeting up there. Anyone know any of the exhibitors who might let us horn in on their stand?

Still around.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 06:02:55 PM

Unfortunately, the trade show is sold out. I'll get in touch with dustintrammell and see about maybe meeting up there. Anyone know any of the exhibitors who might let us horn in on their stand?
(SXSW indie bands) * Bitcoin = $$$

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 06:35:05 PM

Great, if its earlier in the week (Mar 12-14) I might be able to get there from Florida as well.  Just can't do that weekend.

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 06:44:41 PM

Great, if its earlier in the week (Mar 12-14) I might be able to get there from Florida as well.  Just can't do that weekend.

I just checked out the prices and even just registering for the Interactive Event is now $850, which is out of my price range, so there goes trying to crash the exhibits with an informal presence, at least on my end.

Still around.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2012, 07:56:49 PM

Me too. I cant do the 14th-24th.

Anytime before or after is fine.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 06:01:10 PM

bump

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 06:18:06 PM

Looks like it will still be happening on the original dates, but probably on a smaller scale, unless someone thinks of a good (cheap) way of promoting it at SXSW.

Still around.

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2012, 07:01:45 PM

Looks like it will still be happening on the original dates, but probably on a smaller scale, unless someone thinks of a good (cheap) way of promoting it at SXSW.

Just show up in Austin during SXSW. There's no need to spend money on the admission badges to their show.  There are plenty of free opportunities around town for bitcoiners to meetup, and talk with thousands of other people in town.

I am planning to be in Austin for the first few days of SXSW, probably Tuesday-Wednesday.

edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 11:49:16 PM

Good news, everyone!

I've finally found a venue for this event: the Hilton Palacio del Rio, located directly across the Convention Center in downtown San Antonio on the Riverwalk.

We'll be located in the Salon del Rey Ballroom on the Mezzanine level of the hotel. The best part is, they've given me a great rate for the space so the funds I've collected from exhibitors and sponsors already have it covered. In addition, there's room to grow, if necessary.

Rooms are already scarce, however. If you plan on attending and have been putting off making a reservation, I suggest you make one now.

I'm off to update the site with this information, just wanted to let any of you monitoring this thread know that this will, indeed, be happening.

Still around.
Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 11:50:51 PM

Good news, everyone!

I've finally found a venue for this event: the Hilton Palacio del Rio, located directly across the Convention Center in downtown San Antonio on the Riverwalk.

We'll be located in the Salon del Rey Ballroom on the Mezzanine level of the hotel. The best part is, they've given me a great rate for the space so the funds I've collected from exhibitors and sponsors already have it covered. In addition, there's room to grow, if necessary.

Rooms are already scarce, however. If you plan on attending and have been putting off making a reservation, I suggest you make one now.

I'm off to update the site with this information, just wanted to let any of you monitoring this thread know that this will, indeed, be happening.

Start advertising this. If anybody needs a ride in the Austin area, PM me.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 12:06:35 AM

Good news, everyone!

Start advertising this. If anybody needs a ride in the Austin area, PM me.

Speaking of advertising...

Just show up in Austin during SXSW. There's no need to spend money on the admission badges to their show.  There are plenty of free opportunities around town for bitcoiners to meetup, and talk with thousands of other people in town.

I am planning to be in Austin for the first few days of SXSW, probably Tuesday-Wednesday.

Anyone else going to be in Austin during SXSW? I'm thinking we could have some flyers printed up to distribute...tactfully, of course.

Still around.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 05:56:05 PM

Littleshop told me this conf is happening but dont see any info here.

Whats the update?

aschaetter

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 02:36:11 PM

I'm curious as well... I'll be in San Antonio that weekend, so I'd like to come visit!
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2012, 03:42:27 PM

Here's what we got so far:

When: March 17 & 18, 2012
          8am - 5pm both days
Exhibitors may set up one to two hours early.

Where: Hilton Palacio del Rio - Downtown San Antonio
           North Section of the Salon del Rey Ballroom - Mezzanine Level

Map:

DIRECTIONS TO THE HOTEL
From San Antonio International Airport:
Take Interstate 281 South to Commerce Street.
Continue west on Commerce Street to Losoya Street, turn left.
Losoya becomes Alamo.
The Hilton Palacio del Rio is located at 200 South Alamo Street

Exhibit space will be 1653 square feet but there is room to grow. (See highlighted area.)

The Hilton is also located right on the Riverwalk. I found plenty of images that were obviously "tweaked" to emphasize the presence of the building but it really is literally just a few steps from the water. Here's a good image that gives an honest look at its proximity (the arrow is pointing to the Hilton, obviously):

Littleshop and I are putting together a bag to hand out to visitors with gifts from bitcoin businesses. Anyone who would like to have their product included or their name displayed on the bag, please contact Littleshop or me.

I'm still working on getting wireless internet for the room and all attendees.

Parking is going to be your biggest hurdle. This will be St. Patrick's Day weekend and the entire downtown area will be bustling with activity and parking prices will most likely be higher than normal. The Hilton does have a parking garage but they are anticipating to be sold out and may not have any space available for non-guests. In any case, parking at the Hilton isn't free and you would probably save a few dollars by finding a spot somewhere else and walking a block or two. Exhibitors will be able to unload at the front drive, but don't expect to be allowed to park there for more than 30 minutes.

Just about every potential speaker and presenter has been waiting for me to confirm that this event was actually going to occur, so unfortunately, I don't have a program put together yet. Anyone who is interested in speaking, please don't hesitate to contact me.

I would still like to meet up with anyone who will be in Austin for SXSW during the week prior to this. Please PM me if you are going to be there.

Any other questions?

Still around.
Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 05:22:21 PM

All I can say is that I am excited.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2012, 06:30:29 PM

I can now confirm that ceptacle.com will be conducting a tutorial on how to code and build new tools for bitcoin using libcoin at the Convention, Saturday afternoon, March 17.

Here's what we got so far:

When: March 17 & 18, 2012
          8am - 5pm both days
Exhibitors may set up one to two hours early.

Where: Hilton Palacio del Rio - Downtown San Antonio
           North Section of the Salon del Rey Ballroom - Mezzanine Level

Map:

DIRECTIONS TO THE HOTEL
From San Antonio International Airport:
Take Interstate 281 South to Commerce Street.
Continue west on Commerce Street to Losoya Street, turn left.
Losoya becomes Alamo.
The Hilton Palacio del Rio is located at 200 South Alamo Street

Exhibit space will be 1653 square feet but there is room to grow. (See highlighted area.)

The Hilton is also located right on the Riverwalk. I found plenty of images that were obviously "tweaked" to emphasize the presence of the building but it really is literally just a few steps from the water. Here's a good image that gives an honest look at its proximity (the arrow is pointing at the Hilton, obviously):

Littleshop and I are putting together a bag to hand out to visitors with gifts from bitcoin businesses. Anyone who would like to have their product included or their name displayed on the bag, please contact Littleshop or me.

I'm still working on getting wireless internet for the room and all attendees.

Parking is going to be your biggest hurdle. This will be St. Patrick's Day weekend and the entire downtown area will be bustling with activity and parking prices will most likely be higher than normal. The Hilton does have a parking garage but they are anticipating to be sold out and may not have any space available for non-guests. In any case, parking at the Hilton isn't free and you would probably save a few dollars by finding a spot somewhere else and walking a block or two. Exhibitors will be able to unload at the front drive, but don't expect to be allowed to park there for more than 30 minutes.

Just about every potential speaker and presenter has been waiting for me to confirm that this event was actually going to occur, so unfortunately, I don't have a program put together yet. Anyone who is interested in speaking, please don't hesitate to contact me.

I would still like to meet up with anyone who will be in Austin for SXSW during the week prior to this. Please PM me if you are going to be there.

Any other questions?

Still around.
BitPiggy

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2012, 06:36:47 AM

Great! Think I should be able to make it.

I'll need to figure out a way to get from SF to Texas + a place to stay.

http://BitPiggy.com: Australian Dollars (AUD) to BitCoin exchange
@bitpiggy

Me: Ruby on Rails developer, 12+ years programming experience.
@matholroyd, http://www.linkedin.com/in/matholroyd
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: