Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:53:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: March 2012 BitCon in San Antonio, Texas - News Thread  (Read 12994 times)
michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 06:33:05 PM

Hey guys.  Just wanted to say thanks for putting on the convention.  Good discussions and it was nice to put some names to faces.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2012, 07:07:52 PM

Hey guys.  Just wanted to say thanks for putting on the convention.  Good discussions and it was nice to put some names to faces.

Thanks for coming by Michael. Too bad you missed yesterday. It was good, too.

Still around.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 01:31:40 PM

The March Conference is finally over and I can confidently say that, even though I'm disappointed by the number of individuals who did not show up despite their RSVP indicating they would, in many ways, this event was a smashing success.

While it is true that the turnout was not even close to either the New York Expo or the Prague event, those who expressed their opinion to me felt it was a positive effort toward enriching Bitcoin and just about everyone volunteered to help organize and promote an event for next year if I choose to try this again.

Due to the more "intimate" nature of the group, most discussions were held on an informal basis, which is why Libcoin was the only presentation streamed and recorded. Off the top of my head, I recall some good discussions on LiteCoin, the Bitcointalk Forum and its influence on Bitcoin, an acceptable definition of Bitcoin, hawala, the upcoming drop in the Block Reward, and of course, ASICs, botnets, and The Mystery Miner.

I have quite a few goody bags left, as well. I'll be happy to send these out to anyone interested and only charge for shipping. If you would like me to include an official March 2012 Bitcoin Conference t-shirt (S, M, L, or XL), the cost will be 2 BTC plus shipping.

Still around.
michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 02:45:17 PM

In all honesty, while I am glad the event was held in San Antonio for personal reasons, next year, the effort would be better placed in Austin, only a few miles up the road.  The culture there is radically different than San Antonio, and a few well placed stickers, fliers, and phone calls would do wonders on the UT campus alone.  For something as esoteric as Bitcoin, getting even a couple people to attend has to be considered a success, but for the critical mass you're looking for, a single day event Austin is where its at.
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 04:18:15 PM

In all honesty, while I am glad the event was held in San Antonio for personal reasons, next year, the effort would be better placed in Austin, only a few miles up the road.  The culture there is radically different than San Antonio, and a few well placed stickers, fliers, and phone calls would do wonders on the UT campus alone.  For something as esoteric as Bitcoin, getting even a couple people to attend has to be considered a success, but for the critical mass you're looking for, a single day event Austin is where its at.

That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to. I'll be the first to admit, one of the reasons I chose San Antonio was for my own convenience since I knew I would be taking care of this singlehandedly while also juggling my job, my family, and my numerous bitcoin projects. Next year, Austin is definitely more likely to be the location over SA.

Now if only I can get a sponsor to pay for a booth at SXSW...

Still around.
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 06:40:59 PM

Edd,

Sorry you didn't have the turnout you anticipated, but thanks for your efforts in putting this all together.

Can someone give some highlights or summaries of the topics discussed?

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 11:27:29 PM

Any effort is better than no effort at all, and my advice is to always assume that no one is showing up, so you can be pleasantly surprised by even minor "success". Wish I could have gone, it was so close to me, but yet so very far away.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 01:47:54 AM

next year will be bigger and better for sure. up and up! gl high five at pulling it off
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 02:58:16 AM

I intended to go. I had a lame excuse and shoulda known better. Maybe next year I won't be single and will be thinking with my brain instead.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 03:07:13 AM

My RSVP still stands. I will be there. I can't wait to meet you gentlemen.
Did atlas show up like he promised to?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 03:21:08 AM

My RSVP still stands. I will be there. I can't wait to meet you gentlemen.
Did atlas show up like he promised to?

No, he posted under his new alias saying he wasn't:

I made the mistake of not booking a hotel.

I wish I could go but it's difficult trying to justify a one day trip and back for my family and I. I am getting my license next week. Not the best timing. : \

Anyways, I hope all of you have a great time. I can't wait to hear (or see) what happens.

Still around.
BitPiggy

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 06:29:31 AM

Thanks Edd for putting on the conference!

Really enjoyed it- good chats, nice (warm) location, and definitely got some great ideas from chatting with you and the others (freemoney, libcoin, littleshop, etc).

Was also good to show of my (incomplete) BPS as well. It worked really well, and I just have to add some final touches to have a minimal-viable-product.

~Mat

http://BitPiggy.com: Australian Dollars (AUD) to BitCoin exchange
@bitpiggy

Me: Ruby on Rails developer, 12+ years programming experience.
@matholroyd, http://www.linkedin.com/in/matholroyd
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 06:44:33 AM

Edd,

Can someone give some highlights or summaries of the topics discussed?

I think he's outlined the issues discussed here:

The March Conference is finally over and I can confidently say that, even though I'm disappointed by the number of individuals who did not show up despite their RSVP indicating they would, in many ways, this event was a smashing success.

While it is true that the turnout was not even close to either the New York Expo or the Prague event, those who expressed their opinion to me felt it was a positive effort toward enriching Bitcoin and just about everyone volunteered to help organize and promote an event for next year if I choose to try this again.

Due to the more "intimate" nature of the group, most discussions were held on an informal basis, which is why Libcoin was the only presentation streamed and recorded. Off the top of my head, I recall some good discussions on LiteCoin, the Bitcointalk Forum and its influence on Bitcoin, an acceptable definition of Bitcoin, hawala, the upcoming drop in the Block Reward, and of course, ASICs, botnets, and The Mystery Miner.

I have quite a few goody bags left, as well. I'll be happy to send these out to anyone interested and only charge for shipping. If you would like me to include an official March 2012 Bitcoin Conference t-shirt (S, M, L, or XL), the cost will be 2 BTC plus shipping.

So if I want a shirt, how much is shipping to Cleveland, Ohio?  I'll PM you my address. 

I'd say I'm interested and I'm guessing you're losing money on the shirts which is why you need to charge $10?  What does the shirt look like?  Does is have the logo in your signature Bit CON 2012 banner?  I'm a little worried about wearing a shirt that says Bit CON given the negative connotation, haha.  However, I don't have any bitcoin t-shirts yet and this could be my first.

Can you send me a BTC address to pay you for the shiping/t-shirt?  I'll see if I can help stop the bleeding on your wallet Smiley

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 06:47:32 AM

Circle jerk is circle jerk. I don't know what this 'Con' was supposed to accomplish. I am glad everyone got to meet though, I love meeting internet people and making sure they're not robot assassins.

Next time someone in the community wants to organize some kind of conferences or conventions, stop pretending doing it alone is somehow better. The wheel already exists. Use other people in the community. Flying by on the heels of "novelty" doesn't work anymore, we've already proven that most of the these conferences and such could just be held online with a conference call streamed etc.

A+ for effort though.

F- for Atlas/Boss/Immanuel Go/Ragnar/Jon never keeping his word on anything.

Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 07:53:54 AM

Circle jerk is circle jerk. I don't know what this 'Con' was supposed to accomplish. I am glad everyone got to meet though, I love meeting internet people and making sure they're not robot assassins.

Next time someone in the community wants to organize some kind of conferences or conventions, stop pretending doing it alone is somehow better. The wheel already exists. Use other people in the community. Flying by on the heels of "novelty" doesn't work anymore, we've already proven that most of the these conferences and such could just be held online with a conference call streamed etc.

A+ for effort though.

F- for Atlas/Boss/Immanuel Go/Ragnar/Jon never keeping his word on anything.

If I had a car, I would of come. ;_;

I wasn't ballsy enough to take the van and cite common law as my driver's license.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 08:13:39 AM

If I had a car, I would of come. ;_;

I wasn't ballsy enough to take the van and cite common law as my driver's license.

Well that's a sign of the apsergers wearing off. Good on you.

You could have taken a greyhound bus though.

EDIT: For the record, the reason I didn't go is because it would have cost $1,100 to fly there from South Korea just to hang out with some dudes and discuss things that could have been discussed over a Skype group call.

For those just tuning in and thinking that starting a convention or conference is a good idea, try to remember that you need to back it off of a release party. Even the Prague conference was not a smashing hit because there was too much ranting about copyrights and not enough actual tech released there. There needs to be something interesting happening that can't be accessed elsewhere. Meeting nerds is not sufficiently interesting enough imo.

Now if Atlas and I had both gone, that's different. I'm sure plenty of people would have joined just to see us make out.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 02:23:45 PM

Now if Atlas and I had both gone, that's different. I'm sure plenty of people would have joined just to see us make out.
Damn right.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
edd (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 03:32:33 PM

Damn right.

I could have charged admission and made a fortune!

Still around.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 04:04:02 PM

Damn right.

In San Antonio? Maybe try Pattaya next time.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 04:57:12 PM

Damn right.

In San Antonio? Maybe try Pattaya next time.
Then only gay Bruce wannabees will show up.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: