Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:29:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ICO vs IPO  (Read 311 times)
hidden_legend (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 06:40:35 AM

As we all heard about IPO (Initial Public Offering) and ICO (Initial Coin Offering).
Let us discuss the difference between them.
Will ICO take place of IPO in near future??? 
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 07:05:47 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2018, 05:13:44 AM by CryptoBry
Merited by Awalt541 (1)

As we all heard about IPO (Initial Public Offering) and ICO (Initial Coin Offering).

IPO is usually done in conjunction with stock exchange while ICO is done in the cryptocurrency market. As far as I know, no company can launch an IPO without first proving its worth and without passing all the legal requirements set out in the law so as to protect the investors. While in ICO being under an unregulated and decentralized platform anybody can launch an ICO anytime anywhere....a situation opening floodgates to scammers and frauds. When you buy an IPO you are basically buying a stock of the company and therefore entitled for company dividends now the same thing could not be true with ICO otherwise the project can be flagged as selling security and can be against the law. I am then hoping that soon we can see ICO evolving and advancing so that we can weed out scammers and that investors are not only protected but can be earning something out of the money they invested even if the value of the ICO is going down in crypto-exchanges.
terrific

Activity: 2128
Merit: 506

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 07:16:39 AM

No. IPO's are still one of the trusted way of investing of some usual investors and those that are not into crypto's.
They preferred this way of investing.
In other words IPO = shares while ICO = tokens.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

hidden_legend (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 12:41:50 PM

IPO is usually done in conduction with stock exchange while ICO is done in the cryptocurrency market. As far as I know, no company can launch an IPO without first proving its worth and without passing all the legal requirements set out in the law so as to protect the investors. While in ICO being under an unregulated and decentralized platform anybody can launch an ICO anytime anywhere....a situation opening floodgates to scammers and frauds. When you buy an IPO you are basically buying a stock of the company and therefore entitled for company dividends now the same thing could not be true with ICO otherwise the project can be flagged as selling security and can be against the law. I am then hoping that soon we can see ICO evolving and advancing so that we can weed out scammers and that investors are not only protected but can be earning something out of the money they invested even if the value of the ICO is going down in crypto-exchanges.

Thanks for sharing your views and knowledge. How about the technology behind ICO, do renowned companies or business houses adopt it???
Do they offer ICO instead of IPO by following rules and regulations???
Yes unregulated form of ICO put investors in danger and also future of this new technology as well.
EastSound

Activity: 1377
Merit: 268

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 02:14:39 PM

In my opinion, it seems that companies are going for ICO'S since they have no obligation to their investors after the tokens/coins have been distributed.

eg. gaming companies used ICO as a cash cow, i did look for updates from those icos back then and it turns out the coins/tokens are already dead, 0 trading volume.
Aminmon

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 02:19:32 PM

Ipos often have more onerous rules and face a better regulatory system.
However, the ICO now faces little regulation, so any team can issue an ICO at will.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 03:13:08 PM

Probably will but it needs get some laws and rules getting accepted to make ICOs legal.  Right now that is not the case in most if not all countries in the world. ICO organizers create securities and claim they are not securities but an utility tokens or even crypto currencies or many other names.
Leopardon29

Activity: 70
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 03:34:07 PM

Note that this is only my opinion. IPOs are regulated by the SEC and listed companies are not likely there to scam you..On the other hand, ICOs are unregulated and could end up not doing what they promised aka vaporware and noone can go after them.. This all depends on the project and team behind them. Luckily, with Menlo One, we won't need to exert too much effort in researching which project is good or bad since their incentive system does the research for us via contribution reviews/ratings from the community...
trumper

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2018, 07:25:10 PM

No. IPO's are still one of the trusted way of investing of some usual investors and those that are not into crypto's.

Agree, ico has nothing to do with shares, at least most of them are so. Initial coin offering is not regulated well yet as well.

Tyler86

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2018, 07:37:07 PM

It seems to me that ICO is already outdated, this IPO is the best option for today. In the future, ICO will die completely.
terrific

Activity: 2128
Merit: 506

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 09:03:58 AM

Agree, ico has nothing to do with shares, at least most of them are so. Initial coin offering is not regulated well yet as well.
There are ICOs that offer almost the same way of earning through their tokens like IPO does.
I don't have experience and IPO's and if my understanding isn't perfect with it.
There are dividend tokens that are also sharing profit to their holders.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 09:19:17 AM

There were rumors that Stock market are going to adopt Blockchain which might really happen in the future. If it does happen, then IPO will be replaced by  ICO or some team call it TEC (token exchange). Once there will be a regulatory board monitoring the cryptocurrency they might be able to chose which to call it. They might merge everything including the penny stocks.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
Convery

Activity: 966
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 09:30:03 AM

I think that the main the biggest difference between them is that IPO is more regulated. It is not easy to create IPO. But it is so easy to create ICO and you dont need any license from government.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
TaofenBoy

Activity: 95

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 09:31:35 AM

ICO is still very different in IPO. IPO is supported by the physical industry, but ICO is just a concept, and ICO feels closer to crowdfunding.So I don't think ICO will replace IPO, but IPOs may face the need for new forms in the future.
CryptoBry

Merit: 355

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 05:19:58 AM

IPO is usually done in conduction with stock exchange while ICO is done in the cryptocurrency market. As far as I know, no company can launch an IPO without first proving its worth and without passing all the legal requirements set out in the law so as to protect the investors. While in ICO being under an unregulated and decentralized platform anybody can launch an ICO anytime anywhere....a situation opening floodgates to scammers and frauds. When you buy an IPO you are basically buying a stock of the company and therefore entitled for company dividends now the same thing could not be true with ICO otherwise the project can be flagged as selling security and can be against the law. I am then hoping that soon we can see ICO evolving and advancing so that we can weed out scammers and that investors are not only protected but can be earning something out of the money they invested even if the value of the ICO is going down in crypto-exchanges.

Thanks for sharing your views and knowledge. How about the technology behind ICO, do renowned companies or business houses adopt it???
Yes unregulated form of ICO put investors in danger and also future of this new technology as well.

I am longing for the time when the market can be as strict (or even a certain percentage of it) as IPO but using the technology behind enjoyed by ICO and where people can easily access them. I am not good in predicting but I think with the way things are developing we are going into this route. The technology is already here so it is just a matter of adoption and tweaking to make it appropriate and acceptable to the regulators, the investors and project proponents. I am for regulation in order to protect investors but not for the purpose of constricting innovations...there is a need to balance the two in today's environment. There must be a way to weed out scammers and fraudsters in the ICO platform so we can promote more trust into it and make it pro-investors and pro-people.

Maldini07

Activity: 205

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 10:15:03 AM

in terms of quality and security, the IPO is more better than the ICO, where investor rights are better protected. but I hope that in the future ICO organizers can be even better and start adopting several systems in the IPO to protect investor security and prevent the occurrence of scamer actions
hidden_legend (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 01:16:06 PM

I am longing for the time when the market can be as strict (or even a certain percentage of it) as IPO but using the technology behind enjoyed by ICO and where people can easily access them. I am not good in predicting but I think with the way things are developing we are going into this route. The technology is already here so it is just a matter of adoption and tweaking to make it appropriate and acceptable to the regulators, the investors and project proponents. I am for regulation in order to protect investors but not for the purpose of constricting innovations...there is a need to balance the two in today's environment. There must be a way to weed out scammers and fraudsters in the ICO platform so we can promote more trust into it and make it pro-investors and pro-people.

I agree cryptocurrency market also needs strict rules and regulations to protects investors money.This will further benefit this blockchain technology and crypto market.I think more than 50% market is down because of frauds and scams going on this market.This crypto market needs better regulations and rules otherwise soon it will turn extinct.
kindbtc

Merit: 12

SAPG Pre-Sale Live on Uniswap!

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 01:20:56 PM

I hope so it happens but ipo is a real world thing and each and every ipo is highly regulated by the local financial authorities while icos are not regulated as of yet that is why we often hewr about scam icos.

Swaap | Nova Bank
----------------------------------------------
[ GET | ACCEPT | EXCHANGE | WALLETS ]
hidden_legend (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 01:22:26 PM

There were rumors that Stock market are going to adopt Blockchain which might really happen in the future. If it does happen, then IPO will be replaced by  ICO or some team call it TEC (token exchange). Once there will be a regulatory board monitoring the cryptocurrency they might be able to chose which to call it. They might merge everything including the penny stocks.

Yes I also heard about it.I think in future every big business house, company, entity will try this blockchain technology for their benefits.Let us wait for that time.
hidden_legend (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 01:25:11 PM

I hope so it happens but ipo is a real world thing and each and every ipo is highly regulated by the local financial authorities while icos are not regulated as of yet that is why we often hewr about scam icos.

Scams and frauds are currently biggest enemy of cryptocurrency market.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: