Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:07:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Status of WEX (World Exchange Services)  (Read 26206 times)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
October 27, 2020, 02:55:20 AM
Merited by squatter (1)

Any progress on here?

I was lucky it was only 0,2 BTC but still ... any ideas if the Russian government is active about this?

The only thing Russian government is doing is trying to have Vinnik extradited to his native country. They were unable to do so, so a month ago he has been extradited to France. If he gets acquitted (or convicted and finishes serving his sentence there), he is to be extradited back to Greece from wherein he is likely to be extradited to the US.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4033373

I just noticed the article that you had linked, blueimp.  Thanks for that.

We seem to be getting some actual action going on in this matter, and surely it seems strange to be suggesting that anyone who might have been operating an exchange would have also had time to get involved in bullshit randsomeware nonsense - so in that sense, charges seem a bit trumped up... however, there could be more validity to arguments that he knew about illegal activities that were being channeled through his exchange.

I did I quick google search of Vinnik's name in the news and the latest article that I found was from 3 days ago...

https://martinsvillebulletin.com/news/world/trial-of-russian-in-alleged-bitcoin-fraud-to-wrap-in-paris/article_be31eaa4-9fbe-5693-92ef-8b42c7a82ca8.html

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
October 27, 2020, 11:22:56 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

We seem to be getting some actual action going on in this matter, and surely it seems strange to be suggesting that anyone who might have been operating an exchange would have also had time to get involved in bullshit randsomeware nonsense - so in that sense, charges seem a bit trumped up... however, there could be more validity to arguments that he knew about illegal activities that were being channeled through his exchange.

I did I quick google search of Vinnik's name in the news and the latest article that I found was from 3 days ago...

https://martinsvillebulletin.com/news/world/trial-of-russian-in-alleged-bitcoin-fraud-to-wrap-in-paris/article_be31eaa4-9fbe-5693-92ef-8b42c7a82ca8.html

Thank you for sharing. I had almost forgotten all about this case.

I'd love to see the actual evidence in regards to the "Locky" allegations. I recall WizSec speculating that BTCe was probably in the business of laundering funds for various hackers, and not necessarily behind the hacks themselves. With Locky, I can't find anything more than this linking Vinnik to the malware in question:

An investigator with the international police organization Interpol told the court that with the help of the U.S., which provided data from BTC-e, it appeared that most of the ransom payments were sent to an account that was linked to Vinnik.

He would obviously be useful to the authorities in solving various ransomware and money laundering cases, but I haven't exactly seen a compelling case against him, in regards to the allegations that he owned BTCe or developed and distributed Locky.

JamesTe

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2021, 03:01:23 AM

I am very disappointed and angry with WEX or BTC-E cause i lost everything just like this i am not someone wealth i lost my job in 2013 cause of crisis and while this time i tried to mine 24 hours as much i can BTC / LTC and BTC-E was the first i went i manged to get around almost less then half btc and i think around 5-6 LTC then some altcoins to i know its not so much but it made me depressed when prices went up and just struggle to make a bit out of it and sudden btc closes then reopens to WEX and then after months it just closes up and to know just some Russian scammer with millions take so much and even fbi close it up and people like us left this way  and i am still unemployed i just try to work us much free time i can but what i want to say is if someone from WEX see this your really should be ashamed doing this to people while you was making so much money you even steal more and scam instead of helping but that how it goes with many wealth ones Sad  at least some are not this way

I just wish there would be someway to get something back at least someday
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 28, 2021, 06:40:55 AM

the authorities did seize $90 million from the alleged owner of btc-e last year, but the odds of that money being paid to btc-e or wex.nz customers is slim to none. the authorities have said all their money (including customer deposits) is tainted due to commingling with proceeds from ransomware, darknet markets, hacks, etc.

i quickly took the ~55% refund from btc-e before wex.nz launched and ran. i'm still holding all those coins since 2017. that experience was a big lesson for me: not your keys, not your coins.

dansus021
Copper Member

Activity: 2002
Merit: 905

Part of AOBT - English Translator to Indonesia

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2021, 08:10:20 AM

the authorities did seize $90 million from the alleged owner of btc-e last year, but the odds of that money being paid to btc-e or wex.nz customers is slim to none. the authorities have said all their money (including customer deposits) is tainted due to commingling with proceeds from ransomware, darknet markets, hacks, etc.

i quickly took the ~55% refund from btc-e before wex.nz launched and ran. i'm still holding all those coins since 2017. that experience was a big lesson for me: not your keys, not your coins.

damnn ho much money that btc-e got i think i have some altcoin there, i think the money is still exist but there conspiracy here i believe

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
January 30, 2021, 12:15:04 AM

That's always an easy way out, presumption of guilt.

And BTC-e also has to pay a fine of $110M if they aren't contesting it (lol), so that money might go to cover that.

It was possible to get as much as 85% by waiting until they refunded 68% a couple weeks later and selling the tokens they gave. Some people even double down and invested in tokens as wex was paying their debts until it shut down.

Signature space available for rent.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 12:36:06 AM
Merited by Trade Runner (1)

Is that a broken link or did you do it deliberately instead of underlining/bolding the text?

No one can be trusted here, but wasn't Malofeev's involvement established a while ago as described in that BBC article?

Signature space available for rent.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 11, 2021, 01:51:50 PM

It was possible to get as much as 85% by waiting until they refunded 68% a couple weeks later and selling the tokens they gave. Some people even double down and invested in tokens as wex was paying their debts until it shut down.

Well.. I made the mistake at this point. Although I quickly withdraw my BTC, I kept LTC and other alts in Wex.nz, along with the tokens. And rather than immediately selling the tokens, I waited for their prices to increase. And when Wex.nz was closed down by the authorities, I lost all that money. I guess I lost around $1,000 worth of tokens and coins back then. The current exchange price would be somewhere around $50,000 to $100,000.
andrewcuthbert

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2021, 08:48:40 AM

I had approx 400 ethereum, 300 monero, 100 litecoin and over 10 bitcoin + 9 other cryto tokens in volume on BTC-E many disappeared when it became wex and id love to be involved in any action.

My email is andrew@andrewcuthbert.co.uk I'm not a big user of the site so please contact me directly by email.
LightningSphere

Activity: 22
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 25, 2022, 09:09:15 PM

Other wallets still untouched, what is going on here. Webmoney has connections to Ukraine as it seems...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: